Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #13231
Veteran Member

I see a K50 has just been listed, from Auckland. I intend to list mine this weekend although so that will give buyers some comparisons. I don't intend to approach this sellers price, so that may help me.

To be honest, if mine doesn't sell, I'll be happy to hang on to it. The money I got for my sony camera can go towards another second camera. The drizzle looks like it is here for the day and I want to take a few shots of a local rugby game this afternoon. Might be a chance to check out the WR capabilities of the camera and lens, unless the drizzle turns worse.

Anyone fancy building their own dslr?? here's an opportunity,,, http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/digital-cameras/digital-slr...1312335835.htm Think I might pass on this one.

Last edited by awa355; 04-28-2017 at 12:38 PM.
04-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #13232
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I hope he listens to the actual photographers and stocks acordingly !
Had an interesting shopping period this week.
My Brother is heading off on a holiday shortly and wanted recommendations for a tough/rugged camera he could take with him.
He's into climbing and will be on boats/beaches where he's headed.
Googled the heck out of it and one camera kept leading the recommendations constantly, the Olympus TG-4 Tough camera.

Looked closer and Ricoh/Pentax had another on of those shared components deals on this one, like the MX-1 and the Olympus XZ-2?
The Pentax/Ricoh WG-4 is pretty much the same camera, only a bit cheaper if you buy it without the GPS.
Looks like Pentax have walked away from this line of cameras now, as it hasn't been updated, where as the Olympus has come out a few years later.
The Olympus now offers RAW, faster burst rate, wifi/GPS etc.
Ricoh WG-4 GPS vs Olympus TG-4

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, no one had the Pentax/Ricoh version in stock, in a shop.
The Olympus by contrast was available at JB Hifi, Noel Leemings, etc.
My Brother now owns the more expensive Olympus.
Something's really quite wrong with the Pentax distribution/support model here.
04-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #13233
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not even sure she will maintain it as a Camera centre - she owns the copy centre next door. Always figured having a photography shop in Wangas would be a hand to mouth existence.
04-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #13234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
My Brother is heading off on a holiday shortly and wanted recommendations for a tough/rugged camera he could take with him.
Googled the heck out of it and one camera kept leading the recommendations constantly, the Olympus TG-4 Tough camera.

Looked closer and Ricoh/Pentax had another on of those shared components deals on this one, like the MX-1 and the Olympus XZ-2?
The Pentax/Ricoh WG-4 is pretty much the same camera, only a bit cheaper if you buy it without the GPS.
Looks like Pentax have walked away from this line of cameras now, as it hasn't been updated, where as the Olympus has come out a few years later.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, no one had the Pentax/Ricoh version in stock, in a shop.
The TG-4 is a wicked good camera, but your so right, Pentax have pretty much walked away from compact cameras here in NZ, the only ones constantly available is the Ricoh GRII & Ricoh Theta SC spherical cam. Even looking at the big manhattan store that people like, the only Ricoh compacts listed as available are the GRII, Theta's and the incoming WG-M2 and WG-30Ws

---------- Post added 04-28-17 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote

Anyone fancy building their own dslr?? here's an opportunity,,, 35MM DO-IT-YOURSELF SLR CAMERA | Trade Me Think I might pass on this one.
unfortunately i do not think the lister has any clue about Lomo.. the lenses are actually purposely designed to be rubbish, and they are not digital or digital friendly.. we have these in stock too, and they are great fun, take about an hour to put together

04-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #13235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote

unfortunately i do not think the lister has any clue about Lomo.. the lenses are actually purposely designed to be rubbish, and they are not digital or digital friendly.. we have these in stock too, and they are great fun, take about an hour to put together
Do they work?.
04-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #13236
Veteran Member

Do they work?.
yup they work, they are a full working 35mm SLR camera, sure the lenses are not great, with lots of flare and they are not sharp, but that is the 'Lomo Look' and the whole charm of them
04-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #13237

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

There was one of the Pentax's for sale a couple of months ago on TMe from Greg73, who is Ian Little. It was a good price, not sure if it sold or not.

04-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #13238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
There was one of the Pentax's for sale a couple of months ago on TMe from Greg73, who is Ian Little. It was a good price, not sure if it sold or not.
Done now. If it's not available, your customers can't buy it.

Brother wanted new, and his requirements is that he could buy it on the day as he doesn't have much time.
Wellington based and photo warehouse listed both on their site, but didn't have any in stock.
Tough/Waterproof
Think the Olympus was the better buy though, given it's had more development than the Pentax/Ricoh one. Moot point now really.

Not sure about Fuji, but you can buy most any other brand of camera from Harvey Norman. They have Olympus mirrorless cameras in there, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Canon.
Pentax just doesn't have a presence in this country at all outside of the dedicated photography shops.
04-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #13239
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see a K50 has just been listed, from Auckland. I intend to list mine this weekend although so that will give buyers some comparisons. I don't intend to approach this sellers price, so that may help me.

To be honest, if mine doesn't sell, I'll be happy to hang on to it. The money I got for my sony camera can go towards another second camera. The drizzle looks like it is here for the day and I want to take a few shots of a local rugby game this afternoon. Might be a chance to check out the WR capabilities of the camera and lens, unless the drizzle turns worse.
Don't underestimate owning two cameras. I've lent my old K-x to someone for almost the last year, but doing some family portraits for some friends, I realised two cameras would be very handy. I have the FA-50 1.4 and Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. Both are outstanding lenses for portraits, but the 50mm is better for group portraits, and the 90mm is better for individuals. Changing lenses with people waiting around is a bit of a pain, and for a zoom with wide aperture and similar sharpness, I'd probably want the DA 50-135 2.8, Sigma 50-150 2.8, or perhaps Tamron 70-200 2.8 which aren't cheap lenses.
Two bodies, especially since I already own them, is a cheaper option that avoids messing around changing lenses.
04-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #13240

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Don't underestimate owning two cameras. I've lent my old K-x to someone for almost the last year, but doing some family portraits for some friends, I realised two cameras would be very handy. I have the FA-50 1.4 and Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. Both are outstanding lenses for portraits, but the 50mm is better for group portraits, and the 90mm is better for individuals. Changing lenses with people waiting around is a bit of a pain, and for a zoom with wide aperture and similar sharpness, I'd probably want the DA 50-135 2.8, Sigma 50-150 2.8, or perhaps Tamron 70-200 2.8 which aren't cheap lenses.
Two bodies, especially since I already own them, is a cheaper option that avoids messing around changing lenses.
Makes me feel better about the K-x, K-r, K100DS and K-S2.
04-29-2017, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #13241
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes me feel better about the K-x, K-r, K100DS and K-S2.
Putting the K-S2 at the end of that list does not make it 2 cameras
04-29-2017, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #13242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, I see Amazon is set to expand to NZ. Per previous comments, that means serious competition.... It's certainly going to shake things up.
04-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #13243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Don't underestimate owning two cameras.
My Dad used to tote around multiple bodies so he could have different types of films on hand. Although that said, there are multiple references in his photo log of "winding on" to switch out for a different film and then putting it back later. Must have made it a bugger to keep track of when shots were taken, though.
04-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #13244

Tasty looking K50 on Trademe

---------- Post added 04-30-17 at 11:33 AM ----------

Tasty looking K50 on Trademe
Selling on Trademe can be hit or miss, sometimes the inclusion of an attractive model, as seen here in the listing photos ('Eye-candy' if you will) may assist in gaining a sale...

Last edited by Kiwigeezer; 04-29-2017 at 07:10 PM.
04-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #13245
Pentaxian

Selling on Trademe can be hit or miss, sometimes the inclusion of an attractive model in the listing photos ('Eye-candy' if you will) may assist in gaining a sale...
Gubs models would sell anything