Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 02:52 AM   #13621
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With live view focussing, you can also use digital zoom to help with really nailing the point of interest. Powerful tool for manual focus lenses especially.

07-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #13622
Veteran Member

Spot focusing really highlights the wobbles that goes with age. The stationary birds weren't so bad, but of the flying hawk, this was as good as i could get on the day.

Kermit was not moving too well (he may have been injured) so I picked him up and placed him in the drain water.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-14-2017, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #13623
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Different take on the Family Portrait:

07-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #13624
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
OK Rich, you have just convinced me I am never, ever, not ever going to live in Palmy. Our winters are so much sunnier down here in the south. Did I mention warmer too...

07-15-2017, 01:35 AM   #13625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
As I've exposed myself, I'll post a photo. Te Mata Peak, Havelock North, taken from my driveway on State Highway 2, just outside Hastings. K-500,Tokina 28 - 70mm lens.
Nice! Good to see what that place looks like – my son spent a good chunk of time earlier in the year building mountain bike trails up there.

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_monkey Quote
I feel a bit shy about posting images but here's one I got from the top of Mt Eden the other day that I thought was okay. I have played with it a bit in Lightroom, not that I know what I'm doing, and cropped it somewhat, but happy to hear any suggestions about how I could make it better.
Welcome! And don't feel shy about posting images. Especially not if that's just an "OK" shot – it's great!

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Spot focusing really highlights the wobbles that goes with age. The stationary birds weren't so bad, but of the flying hawk, this was as good as i could get on the day.
I got plenty of wobbles – that's what high shutter speeds (and high ISO if needed) are for. Nice bright shots there and clearly identifiable. Win!

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure which one of you freaks me out the most! I guess that's the look you get when you ask the whole family to turn away from the TV, eh? (I just know that's what the side lighting is. )
07-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #13626
Veteran Member

That is well done.
07-16-2017, 02:46 AM   #13627
Site Supporter

Great portrait. Your daughter is doing an awesome job of channelling Obara Sand

07-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #13628
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like it! I think in our house with the current weather it might be called 'Game of scones', as there won't be anything happening outside, and food is always good in cold weather.

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 10:09 AM ----------

Kermit was not moving too well (he may have been injured) so I picked him up and placed him in the drain water.
I remember spending an hour or so in my garden with my previous Sigma 70-300 at 300 trying to photograph waxeyes/silvereyes demolishing my persimmon crop. I got a very tired arm holding the camera up for an extended period. I think it's actually worth using a tripod or monopod, as even though the subjects are moving quickly, the angular movement at a distance is far smaller than camera shake. ie 1mm of movement at the camera translates into quite a few cm of movement at the subject, but 1mm of movement of the subject is only a relatively small movement in the field of view.
I'm feeling too lazy, but I'm sure it's possible to come up with a formula that will describe how much angular movement you get at a given focal length/subject distance when the movement is at the camera or at the subject.
Bottom line is I think a tripod will help with long focal lengths even if the subject is moving.
07-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #13629
Veteran Member

Does any one here use an eye cup on the viewfinder?. I find after taking photographs over the length of a soccer game that my eye brow gets quite sore from the constant holding of the camera against my eye socket. Am wondering if an eye cup would make a difference. My viewfinder has the standard rubber surround.

I'm talking about one of these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/camera-accessories/other/au...1368626965.htm
07-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #13630
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

On a cold wet day...

It has been a very wet and cold day here in Timaru, unusual I know, but there it is.

This morning the courier brought a nice parcel that has arrived from the USA.

It has been pouring with rain all day, so I have used the lens around the house and the office, and have been quite happy with what can be achieved. I am looking forward to some fine weather to try it out on some landscapes.

Still, it is always nice when a new lens turns up
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #13631
Pentaxian

Does any one here use an eye cup on the viewfinder?. I find after taking photographs over the length of a soccer game that my eye brow gets quite sore from the constant holding of the camera against my eye socket. Am wondering if an eye cup would make a difference. My viewfinder has the standard rubber surround.

EyeCup for Canon Nikon Sony Minolta Pentax Olympus | Trade Me
You're doing it wrong!!
I can do 2 or 3 games a day and not have that problem. I can see maybe an eyecup would help though. I do leave my Thinktank rain cover eyecups on permanently, they stick out a bit more but aren't really padded much.
Do you shoot with both eyes open? If not, try it. It's better for your eyes and you see what's going on a bit with your eye that's not looking through the vf.
07-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #13632
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
Thanks for all the comments.

Mark, if you haven't been past this year you wont recognise the road. The council are putting in a new road right next to our house, it will go through to Pakowhai Road, and there is a very large roundabout being created outside our driveway.

Pixelsaurus, I've never used any other DSLR than the K-500, but compared to the film cameras (all Pentax) I've used in the past I'll never go back to film. The things that I'm finding that can be done with digital are amazing. I've read reviews and comparisons of the Pentax range and I see that the K-500 lacks a lot of features of other Pentax models, but because I've never used them, I don't miss them.
Heading your way again later in the year. I've done some work on Pakowhai Road. No doubt it all looks different!
07-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #13633
Veteran Member

EyeCup for Canon Nikon Sony Minolta Pentax Olympus | Trade Me
I brought one of them a while back for my Olympus (which has it missing), I found it poorly fitted and the rubber to be hard & sharp. I don't use it

When I got it, my Kp was uncomfortable like you say - I switched out the eye piece with one off my k10 - softer rubber & a slightly different shape so it's more comfortable.
07-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #13634
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It has been a very wet and cold day here in Timaru, unusual I know, but there it is.

This morning the courier brought a nice parcel that has arrived from the USA.

It has been pouring with rain all day, so I have used the lens around the house and the office, and have been quite happy with what can be achieved. I am looking forward to some fine weather to try it out on some landscapes.

Still, it is always nice when a new lens turns up
I've never seen a 24-90. Post some photos!
07-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #13635
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You're doing it wrong!!
Do you shoot with both eyes open? If not, try it. It's better for your eyes and you see what's going on a bit with your eye that's not looking through the vf.
Worth trying.