Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2017, 02:44 AM   #13741

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Gotta be worth a gamble - apparently Cosina built with reasonable reviews. I have two Tokina 24s to put it against. Quite wide on the K1 (like 16mm on apsc).
Love the anticipation of trying a buy like this. Every so often you'll strike a real diamond in the rough.

08-03-2017, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #13742
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Gotta be worth a gamble - apparently Cosina built with reasonable reviews. I have two Tokina 24s to put it against. Quite wide on the K1 (like 16mm on apsc).
I am pleased my wife doesn't read the Kiwi Thread. She would be asking why GUB is happy with $25 lenses when the ones I am buying at the moment are significantly more expensive

---------- Post added 03-08-17 at 09:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Love the anticipation of trying a buy like this. Every so often you'll strike a real diamond in the rough.
It is a wee bit like that buying them secondhand from the US too - how long will they take to get here, will they arrive in one piece, and will they get donged customs and GST charges?
08-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #13743
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still suspect stale chemistry at the Kodak centre.
it's a shame, because in all honesty I felt like I couldn't go in and talk to them and for the same price shipping it away will get much better results. I've also been looking at there materials and will hopefully get some digital prints done with them. So far customer service seems great.

But the whole digital print will be a new can of worms to start, one step at a time. Looking forward to seeing the prints in the mail.

---------- Post added 08-03-17 at 03:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Those second and third scans are gorgeous, I think the calibration of the scanner at the kodak center must be out or someone doesnt take care
Ya i am much more pleased with the new scans, not just detail but colour rendition. and now for the same price I will get better quality, so that makes me happy.

In other news I have found an amazing deal on gumtree here in the UK. K1 body, new DA 50mm f something and a cactus flash for 875 pounds. But I just checked and it's gone. Glad I didn't actually have time to consider it haha. Although it was a good deal
08-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #13744
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I am pleased my wife doesn't read the Kiwi Thread. She would be asking why GUB is happy with $25 lenses when the ones I am buying at the moment are significantly more expensive
Na get it right -- $35 landed. Still the more I play around with these old lenses the less I aspire to the newbies. I went for the K1 as FF is the format the old glass will perform best on. These wide ones will probably be the worst performing. Compared to APSC they can have only the most tiny hoods on them without vignetting. This means a lot more stray light on the glass and the old coatings will struggle.

08-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #13745
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And some you just dread a little coz you have pushed your budget but just have to have it despite having 16 other 135s. You just hope it is a good one. It should be a 6 element smc Tak - The queen of them - oh well we shall see!!
Attached Images

08-04-2017, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #13746
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And some you just dread a little coz you have pushed your budget but just have to have it despite having 16 other 135s. You just hope it is a good one. It should be a 6 element smc Tak - The queen of them - oh well we shall see!!
And here was me thinking that owing 2 135's was a little excessive...I am clearly only an amateur at this lens owning gig
08-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #13747
Veteran Member

I've got my lenses tucked away at the back of a top shelf where my wife can't see them. Nine lenses all up, for the K50 and D5200. I need to have a clear out. The Nikon has the 18-200 on it almost permanently and the Pentax varies between the 55-300 and the 18-55 lens. The rest are surplus.

08-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #13748
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
And here was me thinking that owing 2 135's was a little excessive...I am clearly only an amateur at this lens owning gig
Note to self. Ever in need of a 135 - call GUB!
08-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #13749
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Note to self. Ever in need of a 135 - call GUB!
I reckon.
08-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #13750
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am hoping they become a more useful focal length with FF but yeah that is a shite excuse for keeping on buying them. The best fast one will probably end up being my go to portrait lens. I intend to do a test with at least the 5 element Sup tak 2.5, the 6 element Sup tak 2.5 and the Takumar bayonet 2.5 4 element. The 4 element tak bayonet is optically similar to the A series.
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #13751
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
The rest are surplus
All zooms are surplus!!!
08-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #13752

Was this a Tuiteka (Wellington) lens?
08-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #13753
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was this a Tuiteka (Wellington) lens?
Na - only ever bought one there - it was rough so I avoid him (hope he is not a friend!). This was swiftbrownfox
08-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #13754
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Miranda 24mm has performed very similar to the Tokinas. I suspect it is a rebranded one. The older Tokina is the worst for flare as you would expect. The newer one and the Miranda are A series lenses so I guess that puts them in the late 80s. This is a little better than I expected for poking them at the sun. The miranda won here - this is its wide open shot saved as a jpg and further tidied up
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #13755
Veteran Member

Focus Choices.

For photographing cycling what focus settings would you use?

I started with 5 point for the side on photos then decided the camera was focusing on the hedge behind the riders. Went to single point then. For the more front on pics, I think I was using the 5 points option again.

I wish the exif info showed what focus setting was used. I see that the focus range in the EXIF info state 'Distant' Can anyone explain this?. Thanks. All these are cropped jpegs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo