Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #13756

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Na - only ever bought one there - it was rough so I avoid him (hope he is not a friend!). This was swiftbrownfox
Not a friend, just curious
I did pick up a mint Tak 135 3.5 for a $1 awhile ago from him -nobody else bid -but I know from his feedback that his stuff can be a mixed bag.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 08-06-17 at 05:04 PM ----------

Cheap 50 on TMe.

Last edited by Kiwigeezer; 08-05-2017 at 10:06 PM.
08-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #13757
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would manual focus on the road gravel at a given point using liveview and focus peaking. I see despite you having a zoom on you have had it at its widest (55mm) only. Often the case with zooms - why I use old primes.
08-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #13758
Veteran Member

I will have to look into this focus peaking more. I rarely use live view but probably should.
08-06-2017, 01:19 AM   #13759
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I will have to look into this focus peaking more. I rarely use live view but probably should.
It is not possible to take this prefocusing approach with a lot of action type photos but if you take a look at your technique with these cyclists it would work well here.

08-06-2017, 03:08 AM   #13760
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
It should be a 6 element smc Tak - The queen of them - oh well we shall see!!
I have the K-mount version of this lens. I really like it!
08-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #13761
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have the K-mount version of this lens. I really like it!
Yeah that is the King of the 135s!!
08-06-2017, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #13762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suburban Wellington. A Monday morning. The sun is out.

A vehicle approaches. Diesel. It stops. Nearby.

He arises and gingerly peers out the front window. An unmarked van is parked out front.

He grabs the key and unlocks the front door as a lady appears from behind the van and approaches.

"Good morning sir!"

"Good morning."

"Here you go. "

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day."

"You too."

The lady returns to the van and departs. The brief transaction complete...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
08-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #13763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pffft. You think you have LBA? Check out what it came packed in. That's LBA.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
08-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #13764
Veteran Member

For photographing cycling what focus settings would you use?

I started with 5 point for the side on photos then decided the camera was focusing on the hedge behind the riders. Went to single point then. For the more front on pics, I think I was using the 5 points option again.

I wish the exif info showed what focus setting was used. I see that the focus range in the EXIF info state 'Distant' Can anyone explain this?. Thanks. All these are cropped jpegs.
Are you using S-AF or C-AF in the settings? I would hazzard a guess that in S-AF what is happening is that it is focusing when you compose the shot and not moving if you have recomposed a little, try C-AF and use the tracking feature of the K-50 as well, this will help keep the target subject in focus while you hold the half press on the shutter release, and also track that subject across the frame and keep those riders in focus in stead of the hedge and traffic sign/
08-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #13765
Veteran Member

My AF mode with sports is always AF-C. I hadn't thought about using the tracking feature as most of my sport photography is teams and I understand that tracking tends to lock onto a colour and so could still jump between players with the same jerseys.
With some of those group photos I was trying to get the lot in focus.
08-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #13766
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The brief transaction complete...
Nice lens. Has its weaknesses near wide open, but still a very nice lens.

I'm not using my copy enough. The 43/1.9 always wins the battle for a place on the camera or in the bag.

What did you end up paying for yours? Not a problem if you'd rather not say.
08-06-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #13767
Pentaxian

For photographing cycling what focus settings would you use?

I started with 5 point for the side on photos then decided the camera was focusing on the hedge behind the riders. Went to single point then. For the more front on pics, I think I was using the 5 points option again.

I wish the exif info showed what focus setting was used. I see that the focus range in the EXIF info state 'Distant' Can anyone explain this?. Thanks. All these are cropped jpegs.
I've never photo'd cycling.

For side on I'd try panning at least a little to show wheel spinning, so I'd start somewhere around 1/100th and see what develops (pun intended). If that works try slower. Naturally you'll end up with a smaller aperture, but that doesn't matter as the background would be blurred by the panning hopefully. The more you practice the better at it you'll get.

For front on I would try and isolate a cyclist using f2.8, shutter maybe not below 1/1000? Again, trial and error. If you want a group to be in focus naturally a smaller aperture which you may have to make up for by a higher ISO or slower shutter.

For all these I'd be TAv mode.

You'll just have to experiment to see what results you like.
08-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #13768
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What did you end up paying for yours? Not a problem if you'd rather not say.
If you scroll (and/or page) back a little you'll see there was an auction on TradeMe for the lens (someone pointed it out and it was discussed). Oh, and there was something attached to it, also visible in the (mysterious?) picture above. I paid the Buy Now price.
08-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #13769

If you scroll (and/or page) back a little you'll see there was an auction on TradeMe for the lens (someone pointed it out and it was discussed). Oh, and there was something attached to it, also visible in the (mysterious?) picture above. I paid the Buy Now price.
Ah yes, the small matter of the thing it was attached to. Clearly not what you were seeking, so I'm happy to take it off your hands. For a small fee.

---------- Post added 08-07-17 at 09:59 PM ----------

That aside, impressions?
08-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #13770
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The brief transaction complete...
Well if you want to go lurking around in a trench coat, you want something nice and compact that you can easily hide...