Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #13936
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I have not had any luck making contact with the seller. Will keep trying, altho' I can't remember when the auction closes.
I have just asked the seller another question. I am currently the leading bidder, so hopefully he can see I am serious about the lens.

This is the question I asked:

"Sorry mate trademe rules I have already had a warning from trademe on giving out my details" Whilst TM do not want you withdrawing the lens or making a private sale, which is fair enough, if we were able to sort out more information about the lens it might lower the risk and dramatically increase the price you and TM get. I asked awa355 to have a look for me - does the lens autofocus, is there any fungi, any other issues. Happy for answers to be available to all on auction. Helps set price.

It will be interesting to see what the response it - you may get a call

08-21-2017, 02:47 AM   #13937
Veteran Member

His sister works for Repco so if these numbers don't get the seller, I will talk with her on Wednesday.
08-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #13938
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

His sister works for Repco so if these numbers don't get the seller, I will talk with her on Wednesday.
See how you go. The bit I can't understand is if the lens is checked and all works ok, then it could sell for multiples more than the current bids - as a seller, why wouldn't you want to achieve that. The current bid stands, so there is no risk of the price decreasing - a win win situation.
08-21-2017, 03:37 AM   #13939
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shhhhh Ross! If it only needs a clean you're getting a serious bargain.

08-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #13940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Shhhhh Ross! If it only needs a clean you're getting a serious bargain.

"you're" ?
What about the rest of us ?!
08-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #13941
Pentaxian

Mind you, Ross is kindly going to share it around quite a lot so who am I to stand in his way?
go that man

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2017 at 09:12 AM ----------

conversation at Ross's place....
yes it is a lot of money but it's a very very rare lens
only 2 maybe 3 ever in New Zealand !
quite a few of the local pentaxians have offered to help me use it so that's good too😊
I only needs a tiny service
Fancy a trip to Japan ?
08-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #13942
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
"you're" ?
What about the rest of us ?!
Hey, I heard him say he'll share!

08-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #13943
Pentaxian

corrected Mark
08-22-2017, 01:31 AM   #13944
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
Its not like this thing can be adapted to other, i.e. mirrorless, cameras.

Sure it can.

Re the old photos, they clean up in the likes of photoshop really well.
Obviously though, the better the sauce material, the better.
08-22-2017, 02:00 AM   #13945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I commented to her that her childhood sounds more like that of my great-grandparents, yet there's only 9 months difference between us in age.
I have a written account (from a verbal delivery) of people of my grandfather's generation (not relatives, but they would have known some of my relatives) from 1929 in the Murchison area – when the 7.3 earthquake struck. Aside from some interesting observations of the effects of the quake ("sheep rolling down the hills") the most striking thing was how they dealt with it...

QuoteQuote:
We stayed with them for about six weeks while Dad had the chimney re-built and fixed up the roof, and jacked the house back on its piles and generally repaired all the bits and pieces.
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
As Mark and you have demonstrated, they can be copied very effectively with a DSLR and a good lens.
A significant number of the photos I have been scanning from my Dad's collection are photos of photos. In many cases you can see either a curl in the original or the paraphernalia he used to hold them flat – steel rulers, strips of wood, etc. He had a copy stand for this purpose. It was a large, roughly 500mm x 300mm I'd say, grey painted wooden surface with a metal pole sticking up from one side and mounted on that was an adjustable height arm with a vertically mounted tripod fixing plate. He'd slide the camera up or down so the 50mm lens would frame the appropriate size for the original, and then he'd fire away, usually with a cable release from memory.
08-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #13946
Veteran Member

My old photos were scanned on the home printer. use the colour setting set to best. This brings out the various shades of white and grays better than using black and white. Re printing a scanned photo often brings out more detail than the original shows. I would like to get this restored but don't have the programme to do it myself.

Is it possible to get a photo dated?
This old photo has had no restoration done at all. It was a small 2" x 11/2" original, scanned then reprinted as a 6 x 4. The house is the original Richardson house on the Kilmog north of Dunedin. Pungas and split slabs. They arrived in 1861. 32 died on the voyage, 30 of them were infants.
Attached Images

Last edited by awa355; 08-22-2017 at 01:31 PM.
08-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #13947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Mind you, Ross is kindly going to share it around quite a lot so who am I to stand in his way?
go that man

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2017 at 09:12 AM ----------

conversation at Ross's place....
yes it is a lot of money but it's a very very rare lens
only 2 maybe 3 ever in New Zealand !
quite a few of the local pentaxians have offered to help me use it so that's good too😊
I only needs a tiny service
Fancy a trip to Japan ?
I can definitely use a trip to japan, armed with the JCH camera shop guide.. i would need several hundred thousand dollars and a shipping container to come home hahaha..
Alas Ross does have some competition.. i have it on watch list and using my GF's trademe account she is bidding for me hahaha ( i dont have a personal trademe account any longer) so if i win, it will become jealously guarded haha
08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #13948
Veteran Member

Ross, the seller will contact me tonight to view the lens. Sadly I have a late appointment at the Waikato hospital but hope I'm not too late home. Time is running out to get any photos or views back to you before the auction closes but it's worth a try.
08-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #13949
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ross, the seller will contact me tonight to view the lens. Sadly I have a late appointment at the Waikato hospital but hope I'm not too late home. Time is running out to get any photos or views back to you before the auction closes but it's worth a try.
Thanks Awa. Still got until tomorrow. See how you go.

Ross
08-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #13950
Veteran Member

A little sad news today :(

Hello fellow Kiwi Pentaxians. One of our number, NZ_Ross has asked me to post this on his behalf, recently Ross tragically and suddenly lost their Son Matthew. Matthew was a 24yr old who was full of life, Married at the start of 2017 he was loved and respected by peers, friends, family and anyone who met him.
Ross and Family have so far been touched by the outpouring of love so far from friends, and those who knew him and family. A Celebration of Matthews life will be held in Timaru on Saturday, with details to follow.
I think i can say honestly that all our thoughts are with Ross and the extended family at this most sad time.

Hayden aka Kiwi110Auto