Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #14371
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a mighty fun looking sailing machine! I bet it can go fast!

10-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #14372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's a mighty fun looking sailing machine! I bet it can go fast!
With the foils, he had to carry it out a long way to get water deep enough to float.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #14373
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
The wind did not get strong enough for his Moth to get up on the foils for long, but he gave it a go.
Wow, that's an insane boat!
Thanks for sharing.
10-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #14374
Veteran Member

Some neat pics, and that Moth is insane!, can you imagine an AC Class foiling Mono Hull????

11-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #14375
Veteran Member

Been trying out a M50 f1.7 lens. When I compose, focus then press the green button, it picks some strange shutter speeds. The camera is in M, the GB is set to Tv mode. Some images are way over exposed, some are way under exposed and some are spot on. I find that adjusting the shutter speed myself without using the gb can give just as good pics.
Last night as the light was fading, I tried a few images around the back yard. Forgot to set up for manual op's. The camera was in Av and auto ISO. Some of the images came out okay.
The frustrating thing is, no F# in the image property details so it is hard to recall which images were at what aperture setting.

Big learning curve here.

Last edited by awa355; 11-02-2017 at 04:08 PM.
11-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #14376

Been trying out a M50 f1.7 lens. When I compose, focus then press the green button, it picks some strange shutter speeds. The camera is in M, the GB is set to Tv mode. Some images are way over exposed, some are way under exposed and some are spot on. I find that adjusting the shutter speed myself without using the gb can give just as good pics.
Last night as the light was fading, I tried a few images around the back yard. Forgot to set up for manual op's. The camera was in Av and auto ISO. Some of the images came out okay.
The frustrating thing is, no F# in the image property details so it is hard to recall which images were at what aperture setting.

Big learning curve here.
Sticky aperture?
11-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #14377
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Big learning curve here.
Are you covering the eyepiece when pushing the green button? Took me a while to work that one out!! Turns out everyone knows that light can pour in thru the eyepiece and stuff up the metering but no one tells you!!.
A slightly sticky aperture can create havoc too. Try using the lens partially unmounted (about 8mm from home). Look into the lens and check that it has stopped down which it won't be when it is home. If this technique improves the consistency of results then the aperture is probably a little viscous. Here's a technique I use- Converting M series lens to manual - PentaxForums.com

11-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #14378
Veteran Member

Aperture seems good. just me having to get it all together.

First image here, the green button set a 1/13 shutter speed. The 2nd is me selecting a 1/30 Tv . I noticed that once the gb stop down produced a shutter speed, the camera would keep that setting until the green button was pressed again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #14379
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hang on a minute - it is a sunny day - that is EV15 and the sunny 16 rule. Accordingly a setting to start with would be Iso 100 , 1/100 sec f16. So at the 1/30sec of your 2nd shot you must have been at something like f22!!.
The Point of difference of the old lenses is the image IQ you can get with it with the aperture more open (smaller f) than most zooms are capable off. You are throwing all that away stopping down - might as well go and play with your kit zoom!!
Maybe you are wanting that massive depth of field but take a look at your shot and imagine the people still as sharp as but the foreground and background softened (oof). That is how to get a 3d pop into an image and that is what this old glass is great at. Next sunny day try instead Iso100 f2.8 1/3200sec on a similar view.
So a sunny Day is EV15 and immediately after sunset is about EV10., which would be Iso100 f2.8 and 1/100sec. Next time you are out and about don't worry about what the camera thinks - set it on M - take a guess (somewhere between EV15 and 10 - 5stops) - and take a look at the result (preferably with histogram and blinkies) and adjust accordingly.
You will be amazed and how simple it can get and you are setting strong foundations for your photographic journey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

Last edited by GUB; 11-03-2017 at 01:06 AM.
11-03-2017, 01:41 AM   #14380
Pentaxian

....The camera is in M, the GB is set to Tv mode...
what is GB ?
The M lens are always wide open and does not stop down in Tv, Av and TAv.

edit...ah green button

Last edited by Transit; 11-03-2017 at 02:23 AM.
11-03-2017, 02:41 AM   #14381
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awwww Transit must be losing it -- no comment about the dust bunnies in your sky Awa - he is usually unrelenting. But they are also a clue your lens is stopping down - they are sharp - if the lens was wide open they would be much more blurred.
11-03-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #14382
Pentaxian

I was confused by all the technical terms wasn't I
11-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #14383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Awwww Transit must be losing it -- no comment about the dust bunnies in your sky Awa - he is usually unrelenting. But they are also a clue your lens is stopping down - they are sharp - if the lens was wide open they would be much more blurred.
Those dust bunnies must be in the lens, they do not show up using other lenses, and the camera had the sensor cleaned two weeks ago.

Still, lots of fun learning my way around something different.
11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #14384
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those dust bunnies must be in the lens, they do not show up using other lenses, and the camera had the sensor cleaned two weeks ago.

Still, lots of fun learning my way around something different.
Yes and the enthusiasm for this mutually shared passion is much appreciated. Na the dust bunnies are on the sensor - take a picha of the sky with other lenses stopped down and they will be there. That dust hare is pretty big and the shake mode might shift him. Dust bunnies are just a reality of changing lenses a lot. I permanently have a herd of them!! Funny thing but I am as careful as I can be changing lenses, then i worked out the other day a super dumb thing I did - I would take the rear cap off the lens and in the spirit of doing things fast, stick it in my pocket . A great source of dust to reattach to the lens.
11-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #14385
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Morning all,

Yesterday I finally got around to undertaking the individual lens AF adjustment. The back focussing of a lens finally got to me.

First up I tried a few to see if this would be a global value in the camera, but it soon became clear that there were different requirements between the lenses.

I have 4 Autofocus capable lenses, and the change values were all over the place, and different between our two bodies, the K-3 and K-S1. Only the Tamron 90mm was bang on straight away on both bodies.

Have yet to retry the lenses out in the field, but wanted to check something here first:

I found this reference to the User Modes needing separate changes, or something like that.
AF adjustment - PentaxForums.com

Can someone advise if I need to repeat this whole process to save these into the user modes, or can I just recreate the modes and write these settings over the top of the current modes etc
Somewhat confused and a bit unsure as to why a setting like this wouldn't automatically be applied to all modes etc.

Ideas? Thanks.