Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #14431
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Thanks Mark - hehe, and there was I, thinking that the Tongariro Crossing was across Lake Taupo!
Not quite! It's one of New Zealand's most iconic walks. Tongariro Alpine Crossing | National Park | World Heritage Area | Welcome

11-19-2017, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #14432
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hehe, and there was I, thinking that the Tongariro Crossing was across Lake Taupo! A lot to learn
naa- - only the occasional Kiwi can walk on water!!
11-20-2017, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #14433
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I went out and took some photos this evening, with the K3, LX and 67. The weather was overcast and not the best for these images, but this was the last chance - the Hydro Grand Hotel is gone tomorrow, having graced the Timaru skyline for just over 100 years. The film images will have to wait a while, until I get them developed.
Glad to see it captured as an image before it went. I've done a bit of that sort of thing myself. I think it started as a kid. My dad made a bit of an effort to photograph the old wooden bridges on SH1 between Blenheim and Christchurch before they were demolished to make way for the modern concrete ones.

---------- Post added 11-21-17 at 11:56 AM ----------

Thank you Ross, Gub, Transit, I will certainly be in touch! Really looking forward to this trip.
If you're passing through Marlborough, yell out as I can give some pointers. It's not all wine, regardless of the stereotype.(Actually, only about 2.5% of Marlborough is vineyards). A few weekends ago I got to enjoy a long weekend in one of the more remote parts of the Marlborough Sounds in return for a few photos.

The weather didn't cooperate that much, but I did get one or two images.

(Yes that really is a tree growing in the middle of the road)
11-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #14434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
naa- - only the occasional Kiwi can walk on water!!
Two here that were wishing they could walk on the wet stuff. The Hartley's looked good in the windy conditions. Made for some nice photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by awa355; 11-23-2017 at 10:47 PM.
11-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #14435
Veteran Member

Hey guys and girls... I have an interesting question... I am looking to some AF Extension tubes for one of my customers, he purchased some recently from an online photo retailer here in NZ (not us) and the quality of product is utter garbage... the contacts don't line up and the mount is trying to shave itself, and does not drive the af like it should on his K10D (yes he has one that has done a lot of work and still runs) The store he bought from is not playing ball really, and i am trying to source something other than the garbage he has... (not even B&H have anything listed)
11-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #14436
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Hey guys and girls... I have an interesting question... I am looking to some AF Extension tubes for one of my customers, he purchased some recently from an online photo retailer here in NZ (not us) and the quality of product is utter garbage... the contacts don't line up and the mount is trying to shave itself, and does not drive the af like it should on his K10D (yes he has one that has done a lot of work and still runs) The store he bought from is not playing ball really, and i am trying to source something other than the garbage he has... (not even B&H have anything listed)
This is the only one I know of that supports AF. Quality, I understand, is pretty hit and miss. See AF Extension tube for Pentax - KOOKA OPTRONICS CO.,LTD
There are many non-AF options, of varying quality.
11-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #14437
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of any, I just use an old manual one - I guess it's possible to de-glass a teleconverter

11-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #14438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I'm not aware of any, I just use an old manual one - I guess it's possible to de-glass a teleconverter
I have a 2x teleconveter that serves no real purpose. Wonder if it is worth looking at removing the glass and trying that as an extension tube?
11-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #14439
Veteran Member

Only if it does something that the available cheap extension tubes don't do natively - I've honestly never tried it, just an idea
11-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #14440
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ali is where I go for stuff and am usually pleased with what I get. No comment on quality of tube , reliability of vendor etc for this tho but isn't this what you are looking for?. Saw at least one other there too.
KOOKA KK P25 Copper Macro Extension Tubes Auto Focus Close up Image with TTL Exposure for Pentax K1 K3 K5 SLR Cameras (25mm)-in Lens Adapter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
11-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #14441
Veteran Member

What would you use one of these for? A 300mm spotting scope.

Pentax 300mm spotting scope and camera lens | Trade Me
11-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #14442
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
What would you use one of these for? A 300mm spotting scope.
Spotting scope - for spotting shot when long range competition or hunting rifle shooting
11-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #14443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This is the only one I know of that supports AF. Quality, I understand, is pretty hit and miss. See AF Extension tube for Pentax - KOOKA OPTRONICS CO.,LTD
There are many non-AF options, of varying quality.
They are the ones my customer currently has, the quality is not even bad, they are TERRIBLE! The contacts are not in the correct place, the drive lug for the AF does not engage properly and the worst thing is that his FA 300* jams in place on the tube and has had to be sent to a tech to be removed!
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #14444

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
KOOKA KK P25 Copper Macro Extension Tubes Auto Focus Close up Image with TTL Exposure for Pentax K1 K3 K5 SLR Cameras (25mm)-in Lens Adapter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I have this tube, the AF works well but only good in OVF AF. Haven't tried many lenses but the DA70 works well with it in FF mode on K1. The mount can be finicky to mount and unmount lenses.
11-29-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #14445
Veteran Member

Teleconverters, Tubes etc. Pros and cons listed here seem to suggest there's no cheap easy substitute to having the right lens for the job.

Last edited by awa355; 11-29-2017 at 05:25 PM.