Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #14551
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I have seen everything now (just about). Someone on t me with a lens box listed, not the lens, just the original cardboard lens box itself. $15. + $10 postage.

12-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #14552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
After this disclosure I feel that you signature may need to be revised . I have a K 28 f3.5 - similar to the M 28 - I am sure you will find it a fun lens to play around with.
Indeed! I will get right onto it. I also see I have the M 50 incorrectly listed as an FA 50.

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Well, I have seen everything now (just about). Someone on t me with a lens box listed, not the lens, just the original cardboard lens box itself. $15. + $10 postage.
Well someone can buy that, put their lens in it and then sell it all... "Lens in genuine box!" I know I always say "in original box" when selling stuff and I have it.
12-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #14553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone have any spare K-mount rear lens caps lying around gathering dust? In theory, I should have one more than I can find, but... well, I can't find the one more I need. I could actually do with a couple of the hard plastic ones, as one I have is soft plastic that annoys me every time I use it.

Or does anyone have a reasonable local source that doesn't want $40 per piece?
12-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #14554
Veteran Member

I just go aliexpress for stuff like that

12-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #14555
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These ones fit well. 3 x Rear Lens Cap+ 1x Front body cap for Pentax K mount PK Auto Focus Lens | eBay
12-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #14556
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Does anyone have any spare K-mount rear lens caps lying around gathering dust? In theory, I should have one more than I can find, but... well, I can't find the one more I need. I could actually do with a couple of the hard plastic ones, as one I have is soft plastic that annoys me every time I use it.

Or does anyone have a reasonable local source that doesn't want $40 per piece?
My last purchase.Be brave buy heaps. Makes you laugh when you hear local retailers saying that the lack of GST is the issue why they can't compete.
Attached Images

12-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #14557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
My last purchase.Be brave buy heaps. Makes you laugh when you hear local retailers saying that the lack of GST is the issue why they can't compete.
Thanks. I'd not used Aliexpress before. Will keep that one in my arsenal now. (I'm not a fan of eBay). I got 10 for USD$13.45 shipped. If they're good I will standardise on them and save genuine ones for sale on lenses.

GUB, funny you should mention the "lack of GST" angle from locals. I was also on the hunt for a microphone shock mount this week. Did my research and found one that fits my needs that I priced at around NZD$70 before shipping from various US retailers. I found only one local source who had it priced at NZD$160!! I'm no economist nor retailer, but I'm pretty sure that kind of margin comes from the days of isolation.

12-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #14558
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
pretty sure that kind of margin comes from the days of isolation.
Shipping/geographically wise we have never left that, but yeah applying GST to international purchase isn't going to stop them, when the difference is much more than 15%
12-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #14559
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too right! GST is not going to make any difference to the way we shop.

Here's one example: Bicycle tires. Buy for the UK, or buy local? The UK price is always about half of the local price. Same goes for Shimano components, etc, etc.
Attached Images

12-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #14560
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'd not used Aliexpress before. Will keep that one in my arsenal now. (I'm not a fan of eBay). I got 10 for USD$13.45 shipped. If they're good I will standardise on them and save genuine ones for sale on lenses.

GUB, funny you should mention the "lack of GST" angle from locals. I was also on the hunt for a microphone shock mount this week. Did my research and found one that fits my needs that I priced at around NZD$70 before shipping from various US retailers. I found only one local source who had it priced at NZD$160!! I'm no economist nor retailer, but I'm pretty sure that kind of margin comes from the days of isolation.
Geez thats a bit steep, I have access to shock mounts that will fit mics from Sennheiser, Sony, Rode, and a few others from $39 incl GST.....

---------- Post added 12-22-17 at 02:58 PM ----------

The other part is saying days of isolation, no thats not a big reason, many companies deal with NZ alone, and the size of the NZ market is less than the population of say London, or New York, this makes a major difference to prices. The potential market for photographic equipment here in NZ is maybe around 1 million people total on a good year, but in reality it is probably half that. That is probably the same size market as Manhattan in NY a year, so markets like the USA, China, UK are 5-10 million people a year looking, Volume makes a major difference to pricing... The same item that might sell 300 units a year here in NZ, might sell 30,000 in the USA
Some ranges here in NZ are competitive with pricing because the companies deal with Aus & NZ together as a single market, and the distributor for NZ works to try and keep us competitive with offshore markets and others dont. The Ones that do are the popular brands, the ones that don't struggle.
12-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #14561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I do use aliexpress, but i have been hit and miss with items, for example, i bought a mount kit for GoPro action cameras, the include bolts were to large a diameter for the mounts, so i had to bore out the mounts, but the nuts were too small for the bolts as well... i bought a carry rig for a video camera, that was meant to be strong, hold 5kg payload. but i got it, put a 1kg load on it and it bent out of shape and twisted like orange peel.. in the bin it went., the video rig was $85 shipped.... the gopro mount kit, $35 shipped... i did but a ND filter kit for $20 shipped that has been not too bad though.. Still had more fail than not
12-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #14562
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am extremely happy with AEx purchases. But I apply 2 rules.
1) never buy a label - it will either be a ripoff or no cheaper than elsewhere. Suits me because I have little respect for label based marketing.
2) Make sure purchase is simple and clear , requiring no communications with seller. This simplifies disputes. ( I have only had one dispute - tried to buy a cheap Pentax lens (see "1" above) the guy got struck off coz his behaviour was "suspicious")
12-22-2017, 08:18 PM - 2 Likes   #14563
Veteran Member

I am extremely happy with AEx purchases. But I apply 2 rules.
( I have only had one dispute - tried to buy a cheap Pentax lens (see "1" above) the guy got struck off coz his behaviour was "suspicious")

A dodgy Pentax trader ???? Nah,, They don't exist
12-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #14564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
I do use aliexpress, but i have been hit and miss with items, for example, i bought a mount kit for GoPro action cameras, the include bolts were to large a diameter for the mounts, so i had to bore out the mounts, but the nuts were too small for the bolts as well... i bought a carry rig for a video camera, that was meant to be strong, hold 5kg payload. but i got it, put a 1kg load on it and it bent out of shape and twisted like orange peel.. in the bin it went., the video rig was $85 shipped.... the gopro mount kit, $35 shipped... i did but a ND filter kit for $20 shipped that has been not too bad though.. Still had more fail than not
I've had a couple of poor purchases, One where the trader just simply ripped me off - I got my money back for that as they have pretty good dispute remediation.

Most of the stuff I buy from aliexpress is simple things like electronic components or simple devices, and I tend to treat them as a start point for modification rather than an end point, I'm probably in a different boat to many people there as I have basic manufacturing abilities, and I'm prone to re-wiring and improving things to suit myself.

Things like lens caps I would expect to be on a par with local suppliers, mainly because I know damn well that some local suppliers buy the same products from the same people and then mark them up %100+ then add gst.

I've found filters, bolts, electronic components, and suchlike to be good or at least ok for testing purposes, electronics such as microphones & audio pre-amps to be pretty average, and I've found more sophisticated items pre-manufactured like macro lighting rigs, tripods, etc. too be at best a source of cheap parts to make my own.
12-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #14565
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I purchase a bit through Banggood.com
Had to explain what that as to the wife initially!

They cost a bit more, but they've been really easy to get refunds through. eg I purchased a GoPro rear screen protector, which arrived broken as wasn't packaged well enough.
$2.98 NZD including international shipping to my house.
Sent a photo and they refunded straight away. Simple stuff.