Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #14626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All right, folks, shameless plug. I have my 60-250mm up for sale and will be in NZ in February, visiting Northland, the Waikato (near TeA, and Hamilton, Rotorua), Tauraunga and Wellington (a wedding, the main reason for coming).

I can bring it with me, if anyone is interested.

Sorry, Ross - despite wanting to, no South Island this time!

Likewise, the trip schedule is pretty insane, but if anyone feels like taking a photo walk (I'll have my GR and Fuji gear/taks), let me know!
Awa's pics have convinced me that I need to go back over to Raglan, and the kids want to go down to RotoVegas, so I will at least visit there.

Been a while since I was at Raglan:

Winter Beach
by Aaron, on Flickr

01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #14627
Veteran Member

Clarkey, is that pic from between the campground and the entrance to the harbour? I have never visited that part of the beach. The same clouds are still there.

I found two K mount lenses in amongst the canon listings last night. One is a 200 M f4, the other is a
'Vintage Rare Vivitar 50mm f1.7 K-mount.' both are sitting around the $10 mark.

Last edited by awa355; 01-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
01-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #14628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Clarkey, is that pic from between the campground and the entrance to the harbour? I have never visited that part of the beach. The same clouds are still there.

I found two K mount lenses in amongst the canon listings last night. One is a 200 M f4, the other is a
'Vintage Rare Vivitar 50mm f1.7 K-mount.' both are sitting around the $10 mark.
Yes, that's the one. There's the navigational markers, and the remains of a gun emplacement not too far away. At full tide, watching the kids jump off the campground bridge is good value, also.
01-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #14629
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Sorry, Ross - despite wanting to, no South Island this time!
Clarkey, now that is a shame, the Mackenzie country is quite close to here, and there is some stunning photography to be had there.

All right, folks, shameless plug. I have my 60-250mm up for sale and will be in NZ in February, visiting Northland, the Waikato (near TeA, and Hamilton, Rotorua), Tauraunga and Wellington (a wedding, the main reason for coming).
The 60-250 that is very tempting, it would compliment the 250-600 very nicely...

01-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #14630
Veteran Member

, and the remains of a gun emplacement not too far away.
WOW!! and with the two concrete anti-tank blocks on Old Mountain road, the japs never stood a chance did they
01-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #14631
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agree Kiwizinho, A local church put on a live nativity set in Palmerston North, with carollers carolling outside at night with fairy lights overhead. Had a very traditional Christmas vibe about it that was quite moving, and a change from the Santa focused themes.
01-06-2018, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #14632
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some test shots with the M200. It seems to produce nice sharp images if I can get the focus right. Probably my issue is choosing small and therefore near objects so the DOF is barely there. At f/16 it was an easier job but of course needed the ISO boosted.

I found in bright conditions the green button tended to set the exposure about 1/3-2/3 of a stop too high (when I remembered to push it!)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #14633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another recent experiment saw me mounting the DA55-300 on the Kepcor 2X TC. With some VERY careful focusing, I can read the speed limit sign at a distance of approximately 3.4km. Not bad through all that heat haze! (It was mid 20s temp.) The image below is a 100% crop, and the subject is the southern end of the Transmission Gully construction.
Attached Images

01-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #14634
Veteran Member

I should persevere with the teleconverter to see what can be done with it. I did read somewhere that it works better with an internal focusing lens.

zkarj, I tried the M200 with the 2x converter. I got one good focused shot, but then I was hand holding the unit and wobbling around like a blob of jelly.

I like the black cat pic.
01-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #14635
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Some test shots with the M200. It seems to produce nice sharp images if I can get the focus right. Probably my issue is choosing small and therefore near objects so the DOF is barely there. At f/16 it was an easier job but of course needed the ISO boosted.

I found in bright conditions the green button tended to set the exposure about 1/3-2/3 of a stop too high (when I remembered to push it!)
The thing is the point of difference between a prime and its corresponding focal length in a zoom is the performance at the wide end. So if you want that 200 to take you to a new level you need to use it where it is comparatively speaking best -wide open or maybe one stop down. Yes the shallow dof is a hard taskmaster but that is where you are going to find the qualities that blow a zoom away. This was with a sup tak 135mm 2.5 @ f4. Found the little furry blighter in the rubbish heap about a week ago.
Attached Images

01-06-2018, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #14636
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
. Found the little furry blighter in the rubbish heap about a week ago.
You big softie.
01-07-2018, 12:29 AM - 2 Likes   #14637
Pentaxian

This little guy left the nest a few days too early. Tamron 90mm / K-3.

01-07-2018, 01:44 AM   #14638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Me? Yeah, nah, I only have a couple of lenses. No LBA on me mate...
That definition of 'a couple' sounds a bit like The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - a trilogy in five parts!

I probably only need to have more traditional definition of a couple, but the problem is in my quest to acquire lenses with the capabilities I want as I can afford them, my 'couple' seems to multiply.

I think I'm going to have to save some money and cough up for a Tamron 70-200 2.8, as along with the existing Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 I have that would probably cover over 90% of what I do.

I'd like to be able to go out for a walk with just two lenses and still have room for lunch and a rain jacket, and that doesn't really work too well with a bunch of primes, although they are great for portraits.
01-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #14639
Pentaxian

I’d be keen on a quality compact for walking about/travel. The constant changing of lenses was a real negative when I travelled to Milford sound. (Wanted a combo of wide and tele).

Total side note but I’m seeing camera technology improve dramatically across the board, meaning the need for DSLRs is (in my mind at least) diminishing. Low light and fast telephoto work are clear example of the need for a bigger sensor, but even a cellphone is packed with face detection and 12MP, which is surprisingly capable for group shots etc on the fly.

Something like those Sony RX100 series cameras seems ideal for travel. I’d mention a Pentax camera, but they don’t make something like that outside of the fixed focal length GR.
01-07-2018, 03:30 AM   #14640
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Something like those Sony RX100 series cameras seems ideal for travel. I’d mention a Pentax camera, but they don’t make something like that outside of the fixed focal length GR.
Sony RX10 Mark IV is a pretty compelling and versatile travel camera, well worth a look.