Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #14761
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Post photos or it did not happen.

I'm feeling very grumpy today. Used to use DiamondPhoto and Kroma (which so far as I can tell is the same company) for photobooks all the time. My favourite size was their 30x30cm book which allowed me to, completely freestyle, lay out every page exactly the way I want, with borders or not, any photo cropped to the size or proportion I want.

Well, no more. They have a "new and improved" interface which, surprise surprise has much less functionality than before. Unless I was to create my pages in Photoshop first, and then upload those as an image to each full page, I now have to use their predescribed page layouts. These are pathetic in the extreme in that they favour square or portrait style photos. There are very few templates with landscape layouts. Gone is the ability to do a panorama stretching right across two 30x30 pages, maybe 2 or 3 panoramas to the double page. You can have 6 portrait shots nicely filling a 30x30cm page, but not 6 landscape shots doing the same. What a complete stuff up all in the name of "progress".

Does anyone know of a New Zealand (or elsewhere for that matter) based photobook supplier who still allows you to lay out your pages the way, you, the customer, wants?
I have an account with Queensberry, they're based here in Auckland. I think they are more for professional photographers but I managed to get an account because I did some photography classes at Whitecliffe and the instructor recommended them - it will be a while before can do photography professionally, if ever
I haven't used their photobook service so I'm not sure if it will be what you are looking for but might be worth checking out. I just placed an order for some prints yesterday for the first time so I'll update this post with my thoughts on the quality when they arrive.

02-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #14762
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_monkey Quote
I have an account with Queensberry, they're based here in Auckland. I think they are more for professional photographers but I managed to get an account because I did some photography classes at Whitecliffe and the instructor recommended them - it will be a while before can do photography professionally, if ever
I haven't used their photobook service so I'm not sure if it will be what you are looking for but might be worth checking out. I just placed an order for some prints yesterday for the first time so I'll update this post with my thoughts on the quality when they arrive.
Thank you. I'll have a look.
02-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #14763
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Queensberry are the go to for professional wedding photographer outputs.

High quality, recommended but you'll likely pay for it.
02-08-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #14764
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Does anyone know of a New Zealand (or elsewhere for that matter) based photobook supplier who still allows you to lay out your pages the way, you, the customer, wants?
Last time I used Harvey Norman's photobook service it supported free design of the pages. I always designed them at home and then uploaded the finished pages. The quality of printing was great (they use Fuji equipment) and the cover and binding quality was also very nice (pages were stitched) for the "Premium" option.

The regular prices are very attractive as they are but when the books are on sale (as they are now until 26/2) they are crazy low. Don't let these low prices make you think that you are going to receive something that looks cheap. I'm pretty sure that Queensbury has more extravagant options but you'd be paying a premium as well.

02-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #14765
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! I'll give that a look too. Not as easy as Diamond Photo's used to be, but certainly a huge improvement on Diamondphoto/Kroma's "new and improved" set-up.
Thank you! May be my new photobook provider.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-08-2018 at 06:58 PM.
02-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #14766
Veteran Member

I'm feeling very grumpy today. Used to use DiamondPhoto and Kroma (which so far as I can tell is the same company) for photobooks all the time. My favourite size was their 30x30cm book which allowed me to, completely freestyle, lay out every page exactly the way I want, with borders or not, any photo cropped to the size or proportion I want.

Well, no more. They have a "new and improved" interface which, surprise surprise has much less functionality than before. Unless I was to create my pages in Photoshop first, and then upload those as an image to each full page, I now have to use their predescribed page layouts. These are pathetic in the extreme in that they favour square or portrait style photos. There are very few templates with landscape layouts. Gone is the ability to do a panorama stretching right across two 30x30 pages, maybe 2 or 3 panoramas to the double page. You can have 6 portrait shots nicely filling a 30x30cm page, but not 6 landscape shots doing the same. What a complete stuff up all in the name of "progress".

Personally, i am a bit old school when it comes to albums, i go purchase a black page, plain leaf album, then go to Harvey Norman or use the Digital Max kiosk at work to print what i want (plus it gives me good quality control... if i dont like a print, i redo it), then lay it out how i want, none of these fancy all digital books that come ready done.
02-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #14767
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Personally, i am a bit old school when it comes to albums, i go purchase a black page, plain leaf album, then go to Harvey Norman or use the Digital Max kiosk at work to print what i want (plus it gives me good quality control... if i dont like a print, i redo it), then lay it out how i want, none of these fancy all digital books that come ready done.
We used to do albums, but photo books tend to take up less space and, until this "change in the name of progress" I had the freedom to lay out the pages the way I like. As example, here's a double-page spread. With the previous system, I had no limitation on the number of photos per page, or the layout of photos. I could have a panorama stretch from one side of the double page to the other, if I wanted to.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
02-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #14768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I got a couple of canvas prints through Diamond Photo a couple of years back, and it was the last time I'll ever use them. The images were dull and lacked definition. I know to adjust images going from RGB on screen to a CMYK print process, but in spite of that they were awful. I know it is possible to produce quality canvas prints, but these certainly weren't. They claimed they were intended to have a 'painterly' appearance. If I'd wanted 'painterly', I'd have got out my oils or acrylics and maybe my projector and actually painted the image onto the canvas myself. I may yet do that with those prints as it will probably improve them.
I had bought another voucher for a larger print, but I never used it as I was so disappointed with the quality, so it was basically money down the drain.

I've never tried their photo books as I was so put off by their canvas prints.

I've used Snapfish before for photo books, although it was a while ago, so I'm not sure what their current system is like.

I've done some greeting cards through Vistaprint, and what I really liked about them is that they provide Photoshop templates, and you can upload Photoshop files directly. Their books are different and you've got to download some software. I haven't tried it so not sure what it's like.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 06:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Last time I used Harvey Norman's photobook service it supported free design of the pages. I always designed them at home and then uploaded the finished pages. The quality of printing was great (they use Fuji equipment) and the cover and binding quality was also very nice (pages were stitched) for the "Premium" option.

The regular prices are very attractive as they are but when the books are on sale (as they are now until 26/2) they are crazy low. Don't let these low prices make you think that you are going to receive something that looks cheap. I'm pretty sure that Queensbury has more extravagant options but you'd be paying a premium as well.
Harvey Norman are actually pretty good. I know the manager of the photo department in the local store, and for prints/enlargements, she sent me a colour profile for their machine, which means I can use the virtual proofing features in Lightroom.

I haven't tried their photo books, but I'm generally pretty impressed with their service. If you pick up from your local store, you can also join their VIP club which gives additional discounts.
02-09-2018, 02:16 AM   #14769
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I print and make my own albums. On double sided photographic paper. Pages laid out with libre office. Glue them up in a clamp . Perfect binding it is called - same thing as the pentax operating manual - works a treat. Sure time consuming (and so always behind) but so rewarding.
02-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #14770
Veteran Member

I have re listed my lenses on tme. The 55-300 DA-L is down to $160 and the 50-200 DA-L WR is down to $80. Very small market out there for selling the less known brands.
02-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #14771
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I have re listed my lenses on tme. The 55-300 DA-L is down to $160 and the 50-200 DA-L WR is down to $80. Very small market out there for selling the less known brands.
sadly
02-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #14772
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyone have thoughts on a travel lens?

I'm considering that 18-135mm as it's WR. Massively varying reports on it's quality, from crap through to pretty good, but seems soft above say 80mm.

I have the kit 18-55 and I'm assuming the 18-135mm may be slightly better, but travel wise you'd pick up the extra reach and be WR as well.

Personally I'd love to go a bit wider, so that new 16 - 85 would probably be my idea, but man it's a whole next level up cost wise for me.

Awas 50 - 200 WR above might fit the bill too?

Ideas always appreciated.
02-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #14773
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I have ended up with 3 lenses when I travel:

DA 20-40 Limited WR
DA 55-300 WR
DA*55

The 20-40 is a very good sharp wide to short tele lens (well a good copy is, which is what I have). The 55 is great for portraits, indoor low light and evening walk around, and is also WR and the 55-300 gives full reach telephoto.

The trip I did last October to the USA I don't think I put the 55-300 on the camera. I was really happy to have the 55 with f1.4 for the early morning ballon fiesta and evening Disney.

If I had to ditch a lens it would be the 55-300, as the other 2 give 30-85mm spread which is pretty useful.

If you wanted one lens to cover that range the 16-85 would be a really good choice. It has the advantage of WR too, which is really useful when travelling. Disadvantage is the long end aperture for night photography, but everything is a compromise.

The FA 24-90 I have is also a good lens for daylight travel, it is sharp enough at f8, but not WR

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-15-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: more info
02-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #14774
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

I'm considering that 18-135mm as it's WR. Massively varying reports on it's quality, from crap through to pretty good, but seems soft above say 80mm.

I have the kit 18-55 and I'm assuming the 18-135mm may be slightly better, but travel wise you'd pick up the extra reach and be WR as well.

Personally I'd love to go a bit wider, so that new 16 - 85 would probably be my idea, but man it's a whole next level up cost wise for me.

Awas 50 - 200 WR above might fit the bill too?

Ideas always appreciated.
The Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 (modern version is 2.8-4) just about lives on my K-50. There are times I'd like something longer, and it's not WR but it's sharp compared to the kit lenses. The newer version seems to have slightly poorer reviews for sharpness than the older model, although there are fewer reviews of the newer lens, so I'm not sure if it's statistically significant.

My aim is to eventually pair the Sigma with a Tamron 70-200 2.8, then I'll have two lenses that cover 99% of what I want to do.

One of my prerequisites is something that's sharp without having to stop down to far. Ideally, I want something that's sharp across the zoom range at no smaller aperture than f8, and preferably wider.
02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #14775
Veteran Member

I'm pretty fond of my sigma 18-125 as a travel lens.
« GR x GIN Social | - »