Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #14896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't have any personal experience, but I remember that it enjoyed an excellent reputation around the time the 16-50/2.8 SDM failure era. I also remember having read a review that compared the Pentax 16-50/2.8, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and a Sigma (I think it was a 18-50/2.8). Both Sigma and Tamron were often better than the Pentax and there was not much to differentiate them.

I wouldn't expect too much acuity at f/2.8 but the lens should definitely give you more options than the kit lens.

Remember that it's an APS-C lens, i.e., it won't grow with you if you ever to decide to go FF. The Tamron 28-75/2.8, which also enjoyed a very good reputation during the same era, is an FF lens. It probably won't be wide enough for your needs, though.
+1 on this. A local Pentaxian here had a 17-50, and got good results. The build quality isn't a patch on the DA* (however, SDM failure, and less weight on the flip side). I had the 28-75 F2.8 during the end of the film era/with my *IST DS, and it was a fine combo.

For the money, I would recommend a compromise, the DA 16-45mm; great sharpness and colour, and 16mm wide.

03-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #14897

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
+1 on this. A local Pentaxian here had a 17-50, and got good results. The build quality isn't a patch on the DA* (however, SDM failure, and less weight on the flip side). I had the 28-75 F2.8 during the end of the film era/with my *IST DS, and it was a fine combo.

For the money, I would recommend a compromise, the DA 16-45mm; great sharpness and colour, and 16mm wide.
I currently have the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. It's a great lens, performs well throughout, acceptably sharp wide-open at both ends. A caveat on the 16-45: it's widest at full extension so you can have issues with barrel shadow using the on-camera flash at wide settings.
03-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #14898
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
I currently have the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. It's a great lens, performs well throughout, acceptably sharp wide-open at both ends. A caveat on the 16-45: it's widest at full extension so you can have issues with barrel shadow using the on-camera flash at wide settings.

Awesome, great to have some first hand owner feedback too.

Does the lens direction zoom in the opposite way to ‘normal’ Pentax lenses?

Any issues with focussing? I had wondered if these lenses could perform better with their own internal motors compared with the traditional mechanical screw connection. Could help with tracking on something like a K-3 for example?

Ever tried any sigma Astro shots successfully at 17mm f2.8?
03-31-2018, 02:58 AM   #14899

Mine's the OS HSM version, rather than the 'Contemporary', although I've had the original 2.8-4.5 as well. The HSM focus is faster than the traditional screw-drive, but I'd be happy with either frankly. The OS version (mine) superseded the original, and was itself superseded by the current Contemporary version (vers. 3 as far as I an tell). It's a heavy bugger, due in part I suspect to the unnecessary in-lens stabilisation motor. I've tried it with the lens OS on, but it fights with the sensor OS and results are poor. For Astro -there's a post on this forum going back around 12 months or so from a member who took a nice astro shot with the lens at Lake Rotoiti (Nelson), 17mm @2.8, 30 secs on his K50. It's a shame you're not down this way, you could give it a run. These are more common in Aus it seems, search EBay.com.au, most Aussie sellers will happily post here, shipping typically Au$23.

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 11:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Mine's the OS HSM version, rather than the 'Contemporary', although I've had the original 2.8-4.5 as well. The HSM focus is faster than the traditional screw-drive, but I'd be happy with either frankly. The OS version (mine) superseded the original, and was itself superseded by the current Contemporary version (vers. 3 as far as I an tell). It's a heavy bugger, due in part I suspect to the unnecessary in-lens stabilisation motor. I've tried it with the lens OS on, but it fights with the sensor OS and results are poor. For Astro -there's a post on this forum going back around 12 months or so from a member who took a nice astro shot with the lens at Lake Rotoiti (Nelson), 17mm @2.8, 30 secs on his K50. It's a shame you're not down this way, you could give it a run. These are more common in Aus it seems, search EBay.com.au, most Aussie sellers will happily post here, shipping typically Au$23.
There's a new Pentax 17-70 on TMe for $250 shipped from Oz, but I'm gun-shy re. the SDM motors, probably without good reason.

03-31-2018, 04:11 AM   #14900
Pentaxian

Yeah I’m really keen to see if the OS can work in video mode. Looking hard to track down that specific model that actually has it still, as they pulled working OS out from Pentax and Sony versions soon after that. Hard to tell them apart apparently, as they have the same name.

SDM gives me the scares too. Not going there. Generally Pentax options come with higher minimum appeture values, but do pick up WR which is cool. If they can be coverted successfully to screw drive then maybe that becomes a viable plan B 🤔
03-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #14901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah I’m really keen to see if the OS can work in video mode. Looking hard to track down that specific model that actually has it still, as they pulled working OS out from Pentax and Sony versions soon after that. Hard to tell them apart apparently, as they have the same name.

SDM gives me the scares too. Not going there. Generally Pentax options come with higher minimum appeture values, but do pick up WR which is cool. If they can be coverted successfully to screw drive then maybe that becomes a viable plan B ��
Not sure if you already have one, but the 18-135mm may also be a good option for video. Between 18-50mm, I don't think it drops below F4.5, and is quite sharp in this part of the range. The DC motor is the same speed as the SDM on the 17-70mm and finds focus a lot easier. Quieter too, I think.

On another note, love the HSE compliance statement; I didn't notice it when taking the photo, hence the cut off words:

Last edited by Clarkey; 03-31-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add photo
03-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #14902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bite the bullet Rich, and go for the 20-40 Limited, it's got a build quality to complement the K-3, focuses and zooms the way you expect, and the results...

03-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #14903
Pentaxian

Lol thanks guys.

I’m off in a month (wow now end of this month. Time flies) and looking specifically to improve the kit lens, and extend the bottom end.

That may actually mean a separate lens for both, or one multi purpose unit. Do quite like the idea of at least 17mm at f2.8 to allow for some basic Astro work.

Turns out there are both a lot and not a lot of options for the above, once you work in budget, and avoidance of SDM. Some say SDM can be fixed DIY and is overall better than before, but the distrust is generally there.

Original plan was for the 18-135, but wasn’t impressed with the general feedback of soft images above 50-75mm or so. Otherwise sounded ideal for travel.

Real Pentax 17-70 sounded good, but SDM.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 has a lot of user reports of focus issues varying (from + to - corrections) across the zoom range.
03-31-2018, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #14904

SDM gives me the scares too. Not going there. Generally Pentax options come with higher minimum appeture values, but do pick up WR which is cool. If they can be coverted successfully to screw drive then maybe that becomes a viable plan B 🤔
Hmm, I'll think on it. My Sigma came virtually unused attached to an equally new K-r off TradeMe for a song. I'm moving towards primes at the moment and just picked up a K5 SII off EBay so am re-thinking my current set-up. I love the K-S2 but there's something special about that K5 sensor, I loved the shots the K-01 produced but couldn't come to terms with the ergonomics, was constantly putting it up to my eye! The K5 series are extremely affordable now and the build quality is just sublime, it's a joy to hold.
04-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #14905
Pentaxian

Original Poster
SDM gives me the scares too.
It shouldn't, in general.

Pentax have been using "SDM" as a moniker for all sorts of AF motor implementations. In some cases (16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8), I'd stay away myself. In other cases, the "SDM" label shouldn't make you worry at all.

Unfortunately, the Pentax 17-70 seems to be one to avoid as well, though.
04-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #14906
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It shouldn't, in general.

Pentax have been using "SDM" as a moniker for all sorts of AF motor implementations. In some cases (16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8), I'd stay away myself. In other cases, the "SDM" label shouldn't make you worry at all.

Unfortunately, the Pentax 17-70 seems to be one to avoid as well, though.
It seems on talking to a tech that has experience servicing Pentax lenses, the design of the SDM motors in the early DA* glass like the 16-50, 17-70, and 50-135's were slightly different to what is now used. It seems the early SDM lenses used a micro motor to turn the AF drives, compared to the likes of Canon who use Ring type motors in their USM tech. Some of the newer Pentax SDM lenses use a different tech again to try and get away from the unreliablity of those larger earlier SDM lenses, as it seems the torque required to turn the AF components was greater than what the early micro motors were able to deliver,
04-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #14907
Pentaxian

Awesome, great to have some first hand owner feedback too.

Does the lens direction zoom in the opposite way to ‘normal’ Pentax lenses?

Any issues with focussing? I had wondered if these lenses could perform better with their own internal motors compared with the traditional mechanical screw connection. Could help with tracking on something like a K-3 for example?

Ever tried any sigma Astro shots successfully at 17mm f2.8?
I'll hunt some out. I have the older 17-70 2.8-4.5 and I've done a few astro images with it.

My general impression is that even at 2.8 it's sharper than the kit lens at max aperture (3.5) and even kit lens stopped down a bit, however it does seem to suffer from a bit of vignetting at the corners.

It's still my go-to lens though and has a usable close focus that is ok as a kind of cheap macro if you're not actually carrying a proper macro lens, so it's a pretty good walk-around lens for landscapes and fungi.
04-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #14908
Pentaxian

Thanks guys, as always a wealth of information 👍🏻
04-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #14909

New to group - looking for Astrophotography advice

Hello!

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place! I'm looking from some advice from seasons Kiwi Pentaxians.

I've just purchased a K1 on trade me, and I'm trying to find stops to practice some astrophotography. Can anyone recommend any good spots where the light pollution isn't too high? I live on the Kapiti Coast in Wellington, so I'm ideally looking for places within a few hours drive of there.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Cheers,

Galen.
04-04-2018, 12:54 AM   #14910
Pentaxian

Welcome on board Galen
« GR x GIN Social | - »