Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #1456
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hey Kiwis,

So I'm super excited to be going to Auckland for a few days in mid-August!
Though some say Palmerston North is the armpit of the North Island, I would have nominated the execrable Auckland for that honour
go south 3 hrs to the Tongariro National Park
Pete

07-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #1457
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I posted this in the Kiwi social group forum and someone alerted me with this thread. I love NZ and I am not sure if I have a remote chance in trying out a job that can let me stay for a while to test my dream. Dreaming is free but when I walked the path in Colomandel Walkway and lived for two days in Colomandel Town, I am in love with NZ. Please someone take a look at my trip sample photos.

Warmest,
Hin
Gidday Hinman
Yep Coromandel is pretty nice alright ! (despite being near Auckland )
Glad you enjoyed your time here !
Pete
07-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #1458
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Please someone take a look at my trip sample photos.
Looks like you had a great time.

Which lens did you use to create the "star burst" effect? I would have guessed the Sigma 10-20/3.5 but it isn't on your gear list...
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #1459
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Looks like you had a great time.

Which lens did you use to create the "star burst" effect? I would have guessed the Sigma 10-20/3.5 but it isn't on your gear list...
Thanks to you all for the inputs. The star burst effect comes from a small aperture using my recent lens with Pentax DA 15mm f/4.0 limited. Its flare control is outstanding when compared to others. The Sigma 10-20 is wonderful but in terms of flare, nothing comes to my mind that stand out better than the 15mm limited

Colomandel Walkway

Torpedo type of fishing

All taken with Pentax K-x White and Pentax DA 15mm f/4.0 limited

I fall in love with the air, scenery, birds, trees, and wonderful kiwi people that I have met. You all are the lucky bunch to live in a bird paradise with unique scenery.

Warmest,
Hin

07-27-2010, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #1460
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
You guys are fantastic! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

I think my tentative plan will be to spend the first day in Auckland (plus check out the domain and other parks). Drive up to the Bay of Islands on day two to see everything up in that area. Day three go down to Waikatere (Piha and Muriwai). Day four go to Waiheke/Rangitoto or other places near the bay.

Does that sound reasonable or way too much? I'm planning on renting a car and staying at various hostels along the way.

Thanks again Zkarj, Class A, and Cpopham; I'm looking forward to visiting as many of the spots you guys recommended as possible!
Hi Jeff

A lot of good advice from the others. To help you with the planning, the drive to Bay of Islands from Auckland is 3-3 1/2 hours depending on roadworks. Personally I would pick Kerikeri instead of the normal touristy Pahia. Don't miss the old stone house in Kerikeri.

From Bay of Islands to Waitakere leave the State Highway 1 in Wellsford and turn right towards Helensville on State Highway 16. It is a very nice country road. From Helensville it is a short drive to Muriwai. From Muriwai you continue south until you reach the Waitakeres. Take the scenic drive from Swanson to Piha. There are some viewing spots along the drive where you can look out over Auckland.

Rangitoto is a great place as Cpopham said. Waiheke is also a good spot where you can rent a car for the day. It have some beautiful scenery.

Is the trip during the week or in the weekend?

Cheers
Eddie
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks a ton for the info mingdie, I'll use that route info to plan my road trips!

I'm going to be doing all of this during the week, so hopefully the locales won't be too crowded.
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #1462
Veteran Member

Alright Pete I'll put it on here.

Following some advice from an international photographer, I have begun quite an overhaul of the images on my website. This basically meant removing over half of the images displayed - to keep overall numbers low, making it more 'viewable', and also to keep the overall standard high. This is still ongoing at the moment, as it can be difficult to assess and be harsh on your own work. I am hoping to further cut down the numbers, and replace some shots with my latest work soon.

I think this also has the effect of pushing you to shoot better photos, if 'making the cut' is tougher.

Hoping to get all my galleries down to around 20 shots.

07-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #1463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Alright Pete I'll put it on here.

Following some advice from an international photographer, I have begun quite an overhaul of the images on my website. This basically meant removing over half of the images displayed - to keep overall numbers low, making it more 'viewable', and also to keep the overall standard high. This is still ongoing at the moment, as it can be difficult to assess and be harsh on your own work. I am hoping to further cut down the numbers, and replace some shots with my latest work soon.

I think this also has the effect of pushing you to shoot better photos, if 'making the cut' is tougher.

Hoping to get all my galleries down to around 20 shots.
I think that is a very good idea. You have some outstanding photos on your site and keeping down the numbers make sense. If you replace photos with new work only replace a couple of photos at a time. Are you able to see the most viewed photos? They are the ones to keep.
07-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #1464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Are you able to see the most viewed photos? They are the ones to keep.
I can see the most viewed, however these are always in the Portfolio gallery as this is the most viewed gallery. That gallery has been cut from about 15 to 7, and duplications from the Portfolio and other galleries removed.
07-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #1465
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That gallery has been cut from about 15 to 7, and duplications from the Portfolio and other galleries removed.
Good move. I'm glad you kept my favourites in the Portfolio gallery.

With "Alright Pete I'll put it on here." did you mean Transit?

I participated in the Wellington Worldwide Photowalk and had a lot of fun.
I ended up converting a lot of images into B&W because I felt they just had more impact with a classic B&W look (high contrast). Here's a sample:

There are a few more in my Photowalk set.
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #1466
Veteran Member

Yeah I had some info on this site over at the dphoto forum.

Good and close and different perspectives!
07-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #1467
Pentaxian

I ended up converting a lot of images into B&W because I felt they just had more impact with a classic B&W look (high contrast). [/url].
jeese Mate they are awesome, how come your k100D is so much better than mine? !!!
Pete
07-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #1468
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good and close and different perspectives!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
jeese Mate they are awesome, how come your k100D is so much better than mine? !!!
Thanks a lot.

I've got the "K100D super duper". It was the successor to the "K100D super". Much improved. The images just pop out of it like crazy.
07-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #1469
Veteran Member

I ended up converting a lot of images into B&W because I felt they just had more impact with a classic B&W look (high contrast). Here's a sample:
Nice photos you have from the walk. Music 2, Music 8 and Broken Palace are my favourites but all of them are good. I think B&W works best with street photo portraits.
07-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #1470
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Music 2, Music 8 and Broken Palace are my favourites but all of them are good.
Thanks a lot for the kind feedback. I always find it very interesting which ones people pick out as their favourites.