Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #1486
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wellie club rugby finals on Sunday at the Tin. My club has made the final for the 3rd year running (since I started photographing them in fact). I've got my pass from the WRFU that will allow me to go sideline onto the hallowed turf. All very exciting. May get to go into the changing rooms if we win! Test out my photojournalistic skills with a flash attached

It's a bugger of a place if it's sunny actually, the shadow from the roof puts the players in shade while the seats behind are still bathed in sunshine. And you sorta have to face that way because of the sun angle etc. But the forecast isn't good so I should be okay, unless it's like '08 when I swear it was sleeting and I went and sheltered in one of the tunnels for 10 minutes!

08-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #1487
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
...I swear it was sleeting and I went and sheltered in one of the tunnels for 10 minutes!
What good is a weather-sealed camera, if the photog is a sissy?
08-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #1488
Pentaxian

When/if Pentax come out with a sealed 70-200/2.8 I might stay longer! Plus it was fairly horizontal and even though I had my extended hood on, the front was still getting quite wet. Though it is nice not having to worry about the camera getting wet.
08-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #1489
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a bugger of a place if it's sunny actually, the shadow from the roof puts the players in shade while the seats behind are still bathed in sunshine. And you sorta have to face that way because of the sun angle etc. But the forecast isn't good so I should be okay, unless it's like '08 when I swear it was sleeting and I went and sheltered in one of the tunnels for 10 minutes!
I watched a bit of the Phoenix game today and you would have got some great photos from that game. It was more waterpolo then soccer. Looking at the forecast you should be able to get some nice muddy shots.

08-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #1490
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When/if Pentax come out with a sealed 70-200/2.8 I might stay longer!
I was just joking.

I'm excited for you doing the PRO thing in the stadium. Good luck!
08-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #1491
Veteran Member

When/if Pentax come out with a sealed 70-200/2.8 I might stay longer! Plus it was fairly horizontal and even though I had my extended hood on, the front was still getting quite wet. Though it is nice not having to worry about the camera getting wet.
I was shooting motorsport in horizontal rain with a Nikon set up, D2X and 300mm f/2.8 with ThinkTank photo cover and massive carbon-fibre lens hood, and still got water all over the front element. Tried shielding it, but in the end had to hide halfway behind a fence to block the rain. Only other thing I could think of to do was shoot in the other direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 WORLD PRESS PHOTO EXHIBITION IN AUCKLAND CITY | World Press Photo

First time ever in Auckland - open NOW. Wellington is next.

Wellington: September 17 to October 10, Shed 11 (usual location).

More info and international dates: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/

Last edited by CWyatt; 08-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.
08-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #1492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
For the macro shooters, just saw this:
Pentax FA100 af F2.8 Macro. for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Good portrait lens too I guess.

It is a wonderful lens. Ugly but very nice to use
Pete

08-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #1493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I was shooting motorsport in horizontal rain with a Nikon set up, D2X and 300mm f/2.8 with ThinkTank photo cover and massive carbon-fibre lens hood, and still got water all over the front element. Tried shielding it, but in the end had to hide halfway behind a fence to block the rain. Only other thing I could think of to do was shoot in the other direction.
I couldn't even face the other way, as it's so swirly down there it was coming from all directions! (Not all at once though).

Well my team won the final, got heaps of photos to go through, as well as before and afters, in the changing rooms and clubrooms. Then I went to the school girls and boys finals last night. Now they want me to go to the soccer final on Wednesday night! Hundreds of photos just sitting there waiting for me, and I know people are waiting to see them. AAAUUUGGGHHH
08-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #1494
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a useful article for photogs with landscape aspirations from a Kiwi bro, Chris Gin. Some nice landscapes included too.

N.B. IMHO, the first one with the gorgeous reflections is one of the rare examples where a crop that puts the horizon smack bang in the middle would work best.
08-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #1495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
I watched a bit of the Phoenix game today and you would have got some great photos from that game. It was more waterpolo then soccer. Looking at the forecast you should be able to get some nice muddy shots.
No muddy shots in the Cake tin mate! Beautiful surface.

I shot the school girls and boys finals on Monday night too. And I was asked if I'd go to the school soccer final tonight too. Augh! Hundreds of photos waiting for me Plus, of course, I had to fit my tennis in last night.
08-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #1496
Pentaxian

Ooohhh - this is page 100.

Congrats to us!
08-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #1497
Pentaxian

Many happy returns
Big ups to Class A !

Pete
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #1498
Pentaxian

Topic drift
I just got a 5meter HDMI cable ($19 Trademe) so I can run the new laptop through the 32 in samsung TV !
Looks and sounds fantastic.
Just watched some Yes on youtube and its excellent
Photos look amazing, really colourful and sharp, slideshow rocks.
Pete
08-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #1499
Pentaxian

Yeah the new TVs are great for showing photos. I was forced to buy one a while back when my CRT one's tuner went kaput. I got a Samsung with 2 USB inputs, so can load photos onto a flash drive and show them from that, or even a portable HDrive.
08-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #1500
Pentaxian

bugger mine has every known input accept usb