Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #4126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
did I mention the rain ?
So the only day that I had to be out and about.....
Got soaked feeding out,
Got soaked taking the dog to the vet,
Got soaked going to the dentist,

Yeah, I think I got that bit about the rain

Edit.. just got soaked again wrestling a hedgehog carcass off of the dog (terrier, so the Prickle-pig is twice the size of the dogs head..!) This is the 23rd Hedgepig the dog has got this summer and it seems that 22 of them have been at 2am accompanied by much squealing and gnashing of teeth (mostly my gnashing and always the dog's squealing)
Ever tried to prise a dead ball of spines away from a dog while holding the dog in one hand the torch in the other and the hedgehog under one foot...? Think about it.... leaves one foot to balance on and any amount of punctures to be accrued.

Last edited by bobD; 03-18-2013 at 02:44 AM.
03-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #4127
Veteran Member

What happened to our holidaying birdwatcher ?
I bet he got a shot of one of these dear wee souls
sheltering from the rain this arvo !
Pete
still here (just), at the airport now awaiting my flight back to Shanghai around midnight. Had the most amazing, fantastic trip and will be back in a couple of years for sure. Thank you very much to everyone on this forum for your advice - I incorporated a lot of it into our 5 week itinerary (God that went fast) and it helped make our tour top notch.

Yep have a few shots of your Silvereyes (they are called Japanese White Eyes in N.Asia) although yours have that lovely peachy tinge to the undersides that ours don't have. Lovely shot of yours !

I have 96 species so far but guess that will top 100 once I finish going through all the waders. Kokako (on Tiri) was the last one ticked on the list. My big misses were the Fernbird and Blue Duck
A good reason to come back
03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #4128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
At ISO 800 IQ already suffers and it very quickly runs out of steam when shooting RAWs in quick succession. The AF is fine most of the time but a faster and more affirmative lock would sometimes be welcome. These are the only reasons why I'll be getting a companion (K-5 II or K-3) for it soon.
Or you could always buy a cheap second hand K10!
03-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #4129
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Or you could always buy a cheap second hand K10!
Nice set of gear you have listed on TM Mr Popham . The K10, and a nice set of lenses.

I am always sorry to see a man give away good gear - what was the logic of this again?

In any case - best wishes for your auction. I have no connection here - just helping

Ross

03-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #4130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Nice set of gear you have listed on TM Mr Popham . The K10, and a nice set of lenses.

I am always sorry to see a man give away good gear - what was the logic of this again?

In any case - best wishes for your auction. I have no connection here - just helping

Ross
Thanks Ross. It was a bit of a depressing experience inspecting them all closely as I photographed them for listing. The limiteds in particular really are so beautifully made.

The logic is basically that I am selling this lot to finance some appropriate gear for an uncoming trip to Africa, also, as you see, I simply have more lenses than is really sensible, or I can readily use. I must admit I'll really miss the limited trio though!

Also, I got married in the past year, and my new wife is a.... Canon user (she's really very lovely though!). So we agreed to meet in the middle and standardise on a third brand.
03-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #4131
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

frica, also, as you see, I simply have more lenses than is really sensible, or I can readily use.
Ok, if you think that with the ones you are selling - there is absolutely no way that I am admitting to how many lenses I actually have

I hope you get the gear you want for a good price, and really enjoy your trip to Africa. The wildlife is magical there...
03-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #4132
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Had the most amazing, fantastic trip and will be back in a couple of years for sure. Thank you very much to everyone on this forum for your advice - I incorporated a lot of it into our 5 week itinerary (God that went fast) and it helped make our tour top notch.
Fantastic that you had a really good trip - thanks for coming, spending money and helping our economy

Safe travels home - we will look forward to seeing a few examples of what you got, when you have had a chance to process it all

Cheers

Ross

03-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #4133
Veteran Member

Ok, if you think that with the ones you are selling - there is absolutely no way that I am admitting to how many lenses I actually have

I hope you get the gear you want for a good price, and really enjoy your trip to Africa. The wildlife is magical there...
This is actually my second wave - I sold a bunch of older lenses and some film cameras last year.

Thanks Ross! I'm really looking forward to it - won't be until August though, so hopefully I have enough time to shop around!
03-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #4134
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The limiteds in particular really are so beautifully made
I have some DA Limiteds myself - I would agree, they are lovely little lenses, and a pleasure to use
03-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #4135
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

big crop of FA*300/vivtar 1.4tc wide open at 1/200sec convertered in PDCU
Very nice Pete - thanks for sharing
03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #4136
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Edit.. just got soaked again wrestling a hedgehog carcass off of the dog (terrier, so the Prickle-pig is twice the size of the dogs head..!)
And STILL enjoying the rain....
03-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #4137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
So the only day that I had to be out and about.....
Got soaked feeding out,
Got soaked taking the dog to the vet,
Got soaked going to the dentist,

Yeah, I think I got that bit about the rain

Edit.. just got soaked again wrestling a hedgehog carcass off of the dog (terrier, so the Prickle-pig is twice the size of the dogs head..!) This is the 23rd Hedgepig the dog has got this summer and it seems that 22 of them have been at 2am accompanied by much squealing and gnashing of teeth (mostly my gnashing and always the dog's squealing)
Ever tried to prise a dead ball of spines away from a dog while holding the dog in one hand the torch in the other and the hedgehog under one foot...? Think about it.... leaves one foot to balance on and any amount of punctures to be accrued.
This is why I only have a goat
03-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #4138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is why I only have a goat
Wanna swap...?
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #4139
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

WPS - Pentax K01

I am in Wellington today and had some morning meetings move around. Decided to go across to WPS Vivian St.

It is definitely not a shop that I should be in unsupervised

Just thought I would let you all know they are currently selling K-01 with 40mm or 18-55 for $499. They have one there and a couple more coming.

I thought that was reasonable pricing.

They also have both models of the MX-1 in stock there. I had a wee hold, but honestly couldn't see myself buying one. I think Pentax have got it a little bit wrong with the rear tilting LCD screen - it sticks out a little from the rest of the body. Price at WPS $669.

All in all not a bad way to spend 45 minutes - and I brought nothing (this time)

Cheers

Ross

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 03-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #4140
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in Wellington today and had some morning meetings move around. Decided to go across to WPS Vivian St.

It is definitely not a shop that I should be in unsupervised

Just thought I would let you all know they are currently selling K-01 with 40mm or 18-55 for $499. They have one there and a couple more coming.

I thought that was reasonable pricing.

They also have both models of the MX-1 in stock there. I had a wee hold, but honestly couldn't see myself buying one. I think Pentax have got it a little bit wrong with the rear tilting LCD screen - it sticks out a little from the rest of the body. Price at WPS $669.

All in all not a bad way to spend 45 minutes - and I brought nothing (this time)

Cheers

Ross
Hi Ross
Do they still have a K-5 at some $2,700? Perhaps they should bring that pricing in line with the good pricing for the K-01!
Regards,
Mark