Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #4291
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hispano Suiza, 1929, Hood Ornament. (Very rare car!!!)

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-16-2014 at 04:32 PM.
04-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #4292
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot of the thistle Ross.

I've started to stitch a couple of the panoramas I took.

Te Anau to Queenstown

Last edited by Frogfish; 04-04-2013 at 04:29 AM.
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #4293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
So Craig very kindly sold me his F35-70/3.5-4.5 on TM, which arrived all safe and sound and nicely wrapped on Tuesday.

I haven't had much of chance to get out taking pictures, as this week is very busy. Some nice light at home this evening, so got the image below.

A very nice lens, and showing lots of promise - so thanks Craig
My pleasure, I hope you enjoy it. I originally picked it up as a sort of secondary kit lens, for when I didn't want to lug the 16-50 around, and it's certainly pretty good for that role, surprisingly good actually, even the macro end as you demonstrated with the lovely thistle picture. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure about the UV filter which was on it - I'd suggest you make your own mind up on that.

It will also help Craig with his regrets of selling Pentax gear
The great sell-out of 2013 is nearly over - ironically I've been left with the two lenses I really didn't want to part with - the 21 and 70 limiteds.
And the greatest irony of all - shopping for the Nikon gear made me go back to check my receipt for my (broken) K20 one more time.... and wouldn't you know it, I bought a warranty extension to 5 years... and it still has part of a year to run. So this could get interesting...
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #4294
Veteran Member

If any of you guys were short of storage, Noel leeming is selling Sandisk Ultra SDHC cards at a pretty stunning price - 8GB for $19, 16GB for $35. They're not the incredibly fast ones, but they are class 10.

Not normally my choice of shop for photographic gear anything, but sometimes they surprise!

04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #4295
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hispano Suiza, 1929, Hood Ornament. (Very rare car!!!)
Nice shot Mark
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #4296
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Beautiful shot of the thistle Ross.
Thanks Frogfish

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I've started to stitch a couple of the panoramas I took.

Te Anau to Queenstown
I love that part of the country - thanks for sharing
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4297
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
My pleasure, I hope you enjoy it. I originally picked it up as a sort of secondary kit lens, for when I didn't want to lug the 16-50 around, and it's certainly pretty good for that role, surprisingly good actually, even the macro end as you demonstrated with the lovely thistle picture. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure about the UV filter which was on it - I'd suggest you make your own mind up on that.
- I brought it for exactly the same reason. The 16-50 is still my most used lens - and I really enjoy using it, but it is solid (as you say), and there are times when I just want a light zoom on the K5. So the 35-70 fits the bill very nicely, and covers a really useful range. I think I will enjoy using it

04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #4298
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

me go back to check my receipt for my (broken) K20 one more time.... and wouldn't you know it, I bought a warranty extension to 5 years... and it still has part of a year to run. So this could get interesting...
At the very least you should get it fixed under warrantee, even if it takes a while. Then you will have 2 good DSLR's and if you take the K20 on your trip as well as your Nikon you will have a back up when the Nikon breaks K20's are still selling well on TM and if you get it fixed up it will be worth a lot more to you than in its current condition.
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4299
Veteran Member

As a result of the great sell out of 2013, I've managed to put together enough to buy the Nikon kit I wanted for my trip. I've now got a D7000, 18-105, 35 f1.8 and 70-300.

I'm not really experienced enough with it to compare it to a Pentax yet, but it's interesting that in the hand it feels remarkably similar to a K10/20. The grip is actually slightly more comfortable for me (I'm not a tall man and have quite small hands). Ergonomics wise, it feels like a bit of a mixed bag - some things are done better than a Pentax, and some worse - that may just be because I haven't found out how to work them on the Nikon yet. I've definitely had to spend more time in the manual - the Pentax's features 'feel' more intuitive, but then again I do know them very well.

Coming from a K20, but more recently a K10, the high ISO performance is obviously amazing (obviously also true of a K-5). I think I'd be mostly comfortable using 6400 pretty regularly, but it's how clean 1600 is which really amazes me.

I'll have a bit more to say after I've had a chance to use it a bit more!
04-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #4300
Veteran Member

At the very least you should get it fixed under warrantee, even if it takes a while. Then you will have 2 good DSLR's and if you take the K20 on your trip as well as your Nikon you will have a back up when the Nikon breaks K20's are still selling well on TM and if you get it fixed up it will be worth a lot more to you than in its current condition.
I've gone through the claim process, now I just get to dispatch it to Christchurch and probably never hear of it again
Honestly, I'm kind of intruiged to see whether they *can* fix it (due to lack of parts, or whatever reason)

Jokes aside, if it comes back, I'll probably get rid of it straight away, because I now lack anything long to use on it - I might pick up a second Nikon body 'for my wife' (if you know what I mean!)
04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #4301
Pentaxian

Coming from a K20, but more recently a K10, the high ISO performance is obviously amazing (obviously also true of a K-5). I think I'd be mostly comfortable using 6400 pretty regularly, .....
Tell me about it !
Accidentally used iso 3200 on K-01 test day and didn't notice viewing on pc...
04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4302
Pentaxian

If any of you guys were short of storage, Noel leeming is selling Sandisk Ultra SDHC cards at a pretty stunning price - 8GB for $19, 16GB for $35. They're not the incredibly fast ones, but they are class 10.

Not normally my choice of shop for photographic gear anything, but sometimes they surprise!
Thanks !
Might pick up an 8GB, great price
Just had nightmare of same card in 16MB failed and crap replacement service by wellington based shop.
dang the 8GB is only in micro sd http://products.noelleeming.co.nz/search?p=KK&srid=S2-USESD01&lbc=noelleemin...=8gb%20Sd&rk=6
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #4303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jokes aside, if it comes back, I'll probably get rid of it straight away
Let me know, I could be interested. I'm enjoying the K10D.
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #4304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thanks !
Might pick up an 8GB, great price
Just had nightmare of same card in 16MB failed and crap replacement service by wellington based shop.
dang the 8GB is only in micro sd 8gb Sd on Noel Leeming
Not true! I just bought two of those yesterday! It's just their site search sucks. Navigate by brand instead

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Let me know, I could be interested. I'm enjoying the K10D.
Will do, but it's impossible to disable dark frame subtraction on a K20, which you might find less than ideal.

I'm glad you're enjoying the K10 though!
04-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #4305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will do, but it's impossible to disable dark frame subtraction on a K20, which you might find less than ideal.

I'm glad you're enjoying the K10 though!
Thanks. Not worried about NR on a K20. I will still need something for everyday use. It means I can go ahead and mod the K10. Or maybe it's the Baileys talking.