Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #6316

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
30 years eh ?
should just sneak in then
Welcome !
Pete
thanks pete(EVEN IF YOUR TEAM HAS DEFECTED TO THE CHIEFS) HAHAHAHA MERRY CHRISTMAS. BE SAFE

12-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #6317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
same to you Mate !
just bought a monopod for my stocking

Bummer having to clear yer table, same here, apparently bills and books don't look festive
All sorted. Now set up in the new office. Santa did ok this year. As well as the various items of appareil, there was the digital film scanner and the new old Meade DSI Pro astrocam. Filters for the latter have cleared customs so looking forward to less cloudy nights. Hope youse blokes had a good one.
12-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #6318
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steveUsername Quote
hi class a its good to see some kiwis on here theres plenty of aussies been a pentaxian for 30 years its nice to see some one from my home town to wellington i only joined yesterday everyone is so friendly i feel right at home
Welcome Steve!
12-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #6319

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome Steve!
thanks mark

12-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #6320
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

hi class a its good to see some kiwis on here theres plenty of aussies been a pentaxian for 30 years its nice to see some one from my home town to wellington i only joined yesterday everyone is so friendly i feel right at home
Hi Steve, welcome to Pentax Forum and the Kiwi Tread. I will look forward to your contributions
12-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #6321
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A very Happy Christmas thanks to Pete (Transit)

A while back on the thread Pete (Transit) speculated about buying a Pentax Q and how you could use you K-mount glass with it to play and get some very interesting results. The conversation went back and forth.

What about the Q10 we asked - no Pete was adamant, the Q was better - magnesium alloy body, better built etc.

We all waited in anticipation for Pete to buy a Q and show us stunning results with his F*300/4.5. Somewhere along the line Pete's Q became a sub-woofer, but that is a different story .

So...the conversation got a few of us thinking, and some Q's have been brought. Mine arrived from the USA off PF Marketplace today. Q, Prime 01, 25mm f1.4 c-mount lens, Q-C, Q-K and Q-M42 adaptors - my iPhone 5 included in the photo for scale. A couple of days late for Christmas, but well worth the wait . Thanks Pete - really good advice, and I am very happy with the quality of the Q. You were right again

Also under the Christmas Tree was a Pentax F 100mm f2.8 Macro in very good condition - nice.

It seems that I have been good this year - very blessed really.

The courier delivered the Q at 7am, and this morning I have had a little play - being silly really....I put my M*300 f4 on the Q and focussed on some flowers in our garden. Now the M*300 has really good optics - but at an equivalent focal length 1674mm it was a bit interesting. Aperture was wide open at f4

The tripod is just an old one sitting at home.

First observation - I need a much better tripod if I am going to do more of this seriously.
Second observation - the Q is really easy to set up for this - very nice implementation of adding focal length.
Third observation - the LCD is basically almost unusable for manual focussing in any sort of brighter light.

Still, despite the limitations I still managed to get a photo.

I am looking forward to having a huge amount of fun with the Q and my manual focus lenses - what a great little camera
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 12-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.
12-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #6322

QuoteOriginally posted by nz_ross Quote
hi steve, welcome to pentax forum and the kiwi tread. I will look forward to your contributions
hi ross nice to c the mainland inhabitants on this site,santa was very nice to u this year he must have not seen my stocking i put out for him lol

12-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #6323
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

hi ross nice to c the mainland inhabitants on this site,santa was very nice to u this year he must have not seen my stocking i put out for him lol
Maybe a larger stocking is required next year
12-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #6324
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I can see that I am going to really enjoy the Q. This one of my daughter - 25mm f1.4 @ f1.4 (139mm equiv.). Manual focus. The focus peaking works really well for manual focus. Inside, so I could see the screen ok to focus
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #6325
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I can see that I am going to really enjoy the Q. This one of my daughter - 25mm f1.4 @ f1.4 (139mm equiv.). Manual focus. The focus peaking works really well for manual focus. Inside, so I could see the screen ok to focus
What a great 1st day result. I am so glad to see some ca sneaking around the edges of the daihlia-- I don't feel so alone!! CA seems to be a fact of life at contrast points. It would be nice to be able to keep SR on whilst on the tripod--- I am thinking about building a hotshoe attachment so I can use an old cable release as a work around. And I am disappointed that the hotshoe won't fire my ringflash (or any flash) on manual mode. That portrait is an outstanding result for the cctv lens. I thought they were sposed to have major focus drop off round the edges. Must try a 28mm sometime.
12-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #6326
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What a great 1st day result. I am so glad to see some ca sneaking around the edges of the daihlia-- I don't feel so alone!! CA seems to be a fact of life at contrast points.
Hi GUB - the CA was there . Nothing wrong with the optics on the M*300 either. So, I think it is something to live with. I will be really interested when you and Pete get together and see what his F*300/4.5 can do on the Q. It is a superb lens, so if there is going to be no CA it will be off that one.

It would be nice to be able to keep SR on whilst on the tripod--- I am thinking about building a hotshoe attachment so I can use an old cable release as a work around. And I am disappointed that the hotshoe won't fire my ringflash (or any flash) on manual mode.
There is a bit to learn eh. I think I left the SR on whilst on the tripod (whoops). It was a pretty useless tripod - so everything was moving a bit in any case. I will get better in that regard

That portrait is an outstanding result for the cctv lens. I thought they were sposed to have major focus drop off round the edges. Must try a 28mm sometime.
Thanks - I was very happy with that one - especially on the first day . The 25/1.4 CCTV lens seems ok, and is tiny. I think I will buy some more c-mount lenses - perhaps some good quality stuff (Kern, Schneider) and see how that goes. Those 25/1.4 CCTV lenses go for NZD $30-70 on eBay so pretty cheap for a what seems to be a reasonable lens

It is very nice to have the Q here
12-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #6327
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I left the SR on whilst on the tripod (whoops). It was a pretty useless tripod - so everything was moving a bit in any case
If you used 2 sec shutter delay to avoid creating camera shake then it automatically turns off SR. So does the K30. quite annoying really.This is what we need. Need someone to start 3d printing one.
Attached Images

12-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #6328
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow..! that is dedication to ones chosen camera brand.
But how do you pronounce your daughters name or is it shortened to something like "25 "or "1.4" ?
12-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #6329
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Wow..! that is dedication to ones chosen camera brand.
But how do you pronounce your daughters name or is it shortened to something like "25 "or "1.4" ?
extremely funny Bob - 6.6 would be the most accurate description right now......
12-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #6330
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If you used 2 sec shutter delay to avoid creating camera shake then it automatically turns off SR. So does the K30. quite annoying really.This is what we need. Need someone to start 3d printing one.
Thinking about it, I probably got away with it because i mounted the tripod to the lens adaptor, so the camera wasn't completely clamped.

I can't review the exact settings, as I updated the Q firmware this afternoon to the latest version, and unlike K5 firmware updates (that keep all your custom settings and set up) the Q defaults to factory settings after a firmware update - they do warn you about this in the firmware update documentation, but still a bit painful having the reset all the date, time, and other settings etc.

I will watch out for the SR next time I put a K lens on the Q on a tripod