Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #9391
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
I think pixelsaurus may have been referring to the outlaws down your way Ross and not the O/P....
Ahhh - I generally try not to think of said personage at all, so hence my missing the reference. He will only come to my attention/action if he starts agitating and trying to stuff up the governance and good management of our area.

02-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #9392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Ahhh - I generally try not to think of said personage at all, so hence my missing the reference. He will only come to my attention/action if he starts agitating and trying to stuff up the governance and good management of our area.
he who should not be named...
just keep the brastard away from yer sewage system
02-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #9393
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
he who should not be named...
just keep the brastard away from yer sewage system
I was involved in a little bit of the planning of our sewage system - it is well designed, has just had a major upgrade, is well operated and works well .

There is absolutely no chance that he will get anywhere near it...
02-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #9394

Hi Dagaetch

You will certainly see a lot with that route - the 2 main pieces of South Island scenery you are missing with that route are Mt Cook/Mackenzie/Lakes and Arthurs Pass - both are quite unique and spectacular in their own right especially if you enjoy tramps.

My suggestion would be - instead of coming through Timaru where I live on the coast (2 hours drive south of Christchurch) take the inland route and at the very least swing through Fairlie to Tekapo and then up to Mt Cook. Lake Tekapo, Mt John (drive up to the observatory), Lake Pukaki and Mt Cook all offer stunning scenery and photo opportunities. You could then drive down the Waitaki River road, through Oamaru and on to Dunedin. It would add a day to that leg of the trip as you will probably want to stop at either Twizel or Mt Cook for the evening.

Cheers

Ross
Ah, excellent idea. I had Mt Cook on the list of places, so that's a definite yes. Thanks!

3-4 hours travelling will be more than enough. If you make it to Wanganui in the less scenic NI
give me a call
Pete
Will do

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
If you go to Dunedin, there is an albatross colony at Taeiroa Head which is at the east end of the Otago Peninsula. As far as I know, this is the only mainland breeding colony in the world. You will probably need a day to do it. It is a nice scenic drive out and you can pop into Lanarchs Castle on the way, it is a bit like Hearst Castle but on a very modest scale. Some of the Garden ornaments are interesting.
While you are in the lower South Island, you have to try the Cheese Rolls, available at many cafes. The best I have found to date are at The Little Hut on George St, Dunedin. It has been a local institution since the 50s and is not hard to find.
When you get to the North Island, if you have time I live in Otaki, about 70 km northwest from Wellington. Pop in for a cuppa if you dare!
Albatross colony would be interesting for sure. And cheese rolls....mmm.....cheese....

Sounds great!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
March is a good time to be in the south island, not too hot or cold, and beautiful autumn colours in central Otago areas for your photography. If you have time you might want to check out the NZ Cycle Trial (Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail), i have heard of lot of good feedbacks on the trails in the south.

Good luck with your trip.
Great, glad to hear the timing works. The cycle trail could be interesting...I'll have to see how comfortable I'm feeling about timing on everything.

many thanks for all the suggestions!!

02-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #9395
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was involved in a little bit of the planning of our sewage system - it is well designed, has just had a major upgrade, is well operated and works well .
No sh*t!
02-24-2015, 01:47 AM   #9396
Pentaxian

There is absolutely no chance that he will get anywhere near it...
don't count your chickens,
he made the lake on top of the hill here have a toxic algae event just by living near by...
02-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #9397
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

don't count your chickens,
he made the lake on top of the hill here have a toxic algae event just by living near by...
Which hopefully someone will sort out for you without it costing another $20 million

02-24-2015, 03:01 AM   #9398
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tunnels are beastly things to photo -- massive extremes of exposure.
This is Makahu tunnel on the way in to the bridge to somewhere. (Aotuhia)
(Off the forgotten highway)
M 28mm x2 stitch.
An exposure mask to get a little detail in to the left and another to darken the sky to stop the foliage burning out.
Probably a HDR stack is the proper way to sort the sod out.
Edit -- I wanted just enough detail in the left to give the image some balance.
Have I achieved that?
Attached Images

02-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #9399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Tunnels are beastly things to photo -- massive extremes of exposure.
This is Makahu tunnel on the way in to the bridge to somewhere. (Aotuhia)
(Off the forgotten highway)
M 28mm x2 stitch.
An exposure mask to get a little detail in to the left and another to darken the sky to stop the foliage burning out.
Probably a HDR stack is the proper way to sort the sod out.
Edit -- I wanted just enough detail in the left to give the image some balance.
Have I achieved that?
Yes. Too HDR-ey would look too false I reckon.
02-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #9400

Hmmmm...

Recent spousally-elicited (coerced) promise not to buy any more cameras seriously threatened by latest email flyer from PB Tech: New Pentax K50 with 18-55 kit lens for $574. Thursday 26 only...hmmm...

Last edited by Kiwigeezer; 04-25-2017 at 03:50 AM.
02-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #9401
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Recent spousally-elicited (coerced) promise not to buy any more cameras seriously threatened by latest email flyer from PB Tech: New Pentax K50 with 18-55 kit lens for $574. Thursday 26 only...hmmm...
If you need experts to testify that the K-50 isn't really a camera, we are here to help.
02-24-2015, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #9402

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you need experts to testify that the K-50 isn't really a camera, we are here to help.
If I was to purchase this it's first job would be recording the matrimonial assets prior to division thereof.

But I'm still thinking REALLY hard about it...
02-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #9403
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Came here just to mention that deal above. Tomorrow only.

Also a Lowepro backpack going cheap also.
PB Tech - CAALPO36173 : Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW Camera Bag - Fast access. Extra space for personal items. Enhanced organization. Plus, space for a tripod._
02-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #9404
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If I was to purchase this it's first job would be recording the matrimonial assets prior to division thereof.

But I'm still thinking REALLY hard about it...
What I have found works well is an agreed annual budget for gear - then I work with that.

Last year I went well over budget with the purchase of the K3 and associated lenses, this year I am just taking it quietly so that the average over 2 years will be about the agreed annual budget.

Of course there is still plenty of temptation for lenses and cameras, and Pentax are not making it easy with the new FF zooms, and the FF camera
02-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #9405
Pentaxian

sell stuff to that value