Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #12601
Veteran Member

I took photos at the local rugby 10's last night, then posted a few on the fb pages of the four clubs featured in the photos. They were all rapted. No one questioned me but thats not to say next time it wont happen.
I think an organised sports event would be different fron random individuals tho'.

02-15-2017, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #12602
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Back into the digital age. Here's a quick stitch of sunset last night in Wellington from Mount Victoria. I got my Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 from Australia on Monday and so far am really happy with the lens. Has the feel of quality and sharp images to back it up. Just a reminder how digital can be used and the different type of beauty it offers compared to film. I popped my camera into portrait and show left to right. Stitched together in Lightroom and adjusted and edited it in lightroom. Let me know what you think. Too much? not enough? not realistic.
Got the whole day now to explore and hopefully another great sunset tonight in Welly.
[/url][/IMG]
Very nice sky, but there's a lot of very dark foreground. I'd be inclined to use the adjustment brush to selectively lighten the foreground to bring out a bit more detail. I think that would make the image stunning.

I suspect we're going to be in for a few good sunsets, what with fires in Australia and Christchurch.
02-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #12603
Pentaxian

Hey Guys me again. Always have a question.
This time going back to the guy who was busted on the beach taking photos (for whatever reason, I don't know the guy)

What are the rules (photographer code, I guess) for photographing strangers. Yesterday I got carried away snapping shots of local skateboarders at the outdoor skate park in Wellington. Nobody seemed to mind, I wasn't in the way. But Can I post them online like instagram flickr or do I need permission. Or is it better to introduce yourself and offer to send them the photos in exchange for letting them photograph you. I know we have all got strangers in our shots, but couple sitting on a bench feels different than skateovoarders who see you taking the shots. Also guessing if these shots get sold or used for advertisement then that's a whole other world. More for personal and social media.

Cheers
I'm not sure of legal rules, but I think generally photographing in a public place doesn't require permission of subjects, but 'public place' applies as much to the photographer as the subjects, and I guess what got the guy busted was he was sneaking around trying to hide what he was doing.
I think being up front and public about the fact that you are taking photos is key, and particularly if minors are involved getting permission might not be a bad idea.
I'd imagine the Privacy Act would be the key guiding legislation.
Privacy Act 1993 No 28 (as at 08 July 2016), Public Act 6 Information privacy principles ? New Zealand Legislation
Principle 2 3 and 4 seem to be the key here, and provides a number of reasons that exempt an 'agency' (eg photographer) from getting permission.
It looks there's quite a bit of opportunity for legal interpretation.
One thing that the guy hiding would have had a problem with would be that he was trying to hide the fact that the images were being made.
From what I can make out from the legislation, you can take a photo first and ask permission afterwards if you wouldn't otherwise be able to get the photo, and you don't necessarily have to ask permission, but if you're in a position to do so, it's probably a good idea.

I'm not convinced it's actually a great bit of legislation, as there are lots of exemptions, but whether they apply in a particular case would come down to interpretation by the court.
02-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #12604
Veteran Member

seems like there could be grey Area.

I guess because they could see me taking the picture, them not saying "NO" could be interpreted as permission, they had equal opportunity to question my actions. If I stood on the beach in front of a group of strangers and took their photos I am sure they would speak up and ask what I am doing.

I could see the problem being more with telephoto since you can be hidden. After that it would be intent. Telephoto women on a beach would have a different intent I suppose versus telephoto couple in the distance with sunset.

I guess the best thing would be transparency. If you did have an artist vision of strangers on the beach then don't hide behind a bush. Make yourself visible and have cards prepared if anyone asks your intentions. Having a website or flickr account with previous post could help show people you're vision and not just a creeper.

02-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #12605
Veteran Member

I am scanning the Aussie ebay site looking to see what is available in WR lenses. Seems to be nothing on Tme.
02-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #12606
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm not convinced it's actually a great bit of legislation, as there are lots of exemptions, but whether they apply in a particular case would come down to interpretation by the court.
Surely the legislation is there to provide some basis for a court to decide. To try and define rules proper in the legislation is the way madness lies because (pardon the pun) it's far from black and white.

Make yourself visible and have cards prepared if anyone asks your intentions. Having a website or flickr account with previous post could help show people you're vision and not just a creeper.
Not necessarily visible to the subjects, but visible in the sense you're not hiding should someone choose to train a camera on you.

I do wonder what would be the reaction (of the media) if a woman was seen taking photos of male lifeguards on the beach while staying out of sight?
02-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #12607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Surely the legislation is there to provide some basis for a court to decide. To try and define rules proper in the legislation is the way madness lies because (pardon the pun) it's far from black and white.

Not necessarily visible to the subjects, but visible in the sense you're not hiding should someone choose to train a camera on you.

I do wonder what would be the reaction (of the media) if a woman was seen taking photos of male lifeguards on the beach while staying out of sight?
These days, anyone taking photos of anyone else while staying hidden might raise questions.

I found this link posted by someone I know. What are the rules around taking photos or filming in a public place? | New Zealand Police

Given that the police are the ones who would likely be prosecuting anyone breaking the rules, it's probably a pretty good guide, and somewhat easier to understand than the Privacy Act. There are still a few ambiguities, like what exactly is a 'legitimate reason'?
(At least even if 'legitimate reason' is not well defined, it would be necessary to demonstrate that the reason is NOT legitimate to be an offence.)
I guess some grumpy people could argue that any photos taken of them could complain that it spoils their enjoyment of a public place, although I guess you probably don't want to take photos of people who are that grumpy anyway.

02-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #12608
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now we have this: Havelock North pupils warned to look out for 'dreadlocked man in baggy clothing' | Stuff.co.nz
02-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #12609
Veteran Member

Well, a scruffy dreadlocked guy in baggy pants wouldn't be using a Pentax camera would he?. Probably one of those 'other brand' people..

Walking around the local rugby 10's the other night, I felt a bit self conscious to start with. But then at sports comps, people usually expect to see a photographer, and carrying a dslr helps make you look like you are there with a purpose. I went up to a couple of the coaches, asked about their teams and if they would mind me sending in any interesting photos to either themselves or the clubs FB page. They were happy with that and I posted a number of photos onto a couple of club fb pages. The feedback was really good. I have been asked to follow one team around at next weeks competition and take photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #12610
Pentaxian

Well done!
I'd quite like to do that probably haven't got the right lens though :-)
02-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #12611
Veteran Member

I went out to Lake Arapuni this morning to watch the speedboat racing. It was raining quite steady so I used the K10d (currently re listed) and tried the pentax FA 80-320 lens. This is a heavily cropped pic taken through steady rain at the 320mm end. Nothing startling but I liked the effort the lens made.

I had my left hand supporting the lens and a small umbrella so did not have a firm grip on either.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-18-2017, 12:54 AM - 3 Likes   #12612
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Film Camera's and today

Over the past few months I have decided to get back into 35mm film photography for something different creatively. I have an ME Super that turned out to be in poor condition and suffering from the film advance fault. Rather than get the ME Super fixed I decided to purchase a Pentax LX, which arrived from Aussie yesterday thanks to the good efforts of Neal (macronaut). This LX has previously been serviced by Eric in the US, so is working very well with all of the normal LX issues sorted out by Eric during the CLA.

Today I had to drop one of my sons down to Dunedin to start another year at Uni, and took to opportunity to visit Hayden (Kiwi110Auto) at Southern Cameras and purchase the Introduction to Lomography starter film pack that has previously been mentioned here in the Kiwi Thread.

The Lady Grey film was selected for the first roll to go through the LX, and I happily used some of the roll today around Dunedin, and then on the way home.

Even though today was the first day - I am really enjoying the LX, the viewfinder is really big and bright, easy to focus, everything is smooth, and in aperture priority with auto shutter speed it is a breeze to shoot.

Hayden also kindly brought his Pentax kit bag down to work, and let me have a look at his 645 and lenses, which dwarfed his 110Auto. Apparently, there is still film available for the 110. I have a 110 as I brought it for the lenses to play with on the Q, and managed to resist Hayden's kind offer to sell me even more film, as I think I have my hands full enough with the LX at the moment.

We were a bit pressed for time, and I forgot to discuss the Ilford film they stock with Hayden, so that will have to be a conversation for another day. In the mean time, I have a new film camera, 5 rolls of Lomo film, and lots of very nice manual focus lenses to use.

Briefly being able to meet with Hayden, talk to someone who knows his product, and have a look at his Pentax kit was also very nice. It has been a good day

Images - the Pentax LX, with Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 lens. Images taken with my Pentax K-3 and Zeiss 28mm f2 lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #12613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Over the past few months I have decided to get back into 35mm film photography for something different creatively. I have an ME Super that turned out to be in poor condition and suffering from the film advance fault. Rather than get the ME Super fixed I decided to purchase a Pentax LX, which arrived from Aussie yesterday thanks to the good efforts of Neal (macronaut). This LX has previously been serviced by Eric in the US, so is working very well with all of the normal LX issues sorted out by Eric during the CLA.

Today I had to drop one of my sons down to Dunedin to start another year at Uni, and took to opportunity to visit Hayden (Kiwi110Auto) at Southern Cameras and purchase the Introduction to Lomography starter film pack that has previously been mentioned here in the Kiwi Thread.

The Lady Grey film was selected for the first roll to go through the LX, and I happily used some of the roll today around Dunedin, and then on the way home.

Even though today was the first day - I am really enjoying the LX, the viewfinder is really big and bright, easy to focus, everything is smooth, and in aperture priority with auto shutter speed it is a breeze to shoot.

Hayden also kindly brought his Pentax kit bag down to work, and let me have a look at his 645 and lenses, which dwarfed his 110Auto. Apparently, there is still film available for the 110. I have a 110 as I brought it for the lenses to play with on the Q, and managed to resist Hayden's kind offer to sell me even more film, as I think I have my hands full enough with the LX at the moment.

We were a bit pressed for time, and I forgot to discuss the Ilford film they stock with Hayden, so that will have to be a conversation for another day. In the mean time, I have a new film camera, 5 rolls of Lomo film, and lots of very nice manual focus lenses to use.

Briefly being able to meet with Hayden, talk to someone who knows his product, and have a look at his Pentax kit was also very nice. It has been a good day

Images - the Pentax LX, with Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 lens. Images taken with my Pentax K-3 and Zeiss 28mm f2 lens
Damn! That is one stunning Pentax LX. Like the lens on it as well.

All the best for the roll of film in the LX. They are great cameras.

Regards

Chris
02-18-2017, 02:27 AM   #12614
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
All the best for the roll of film in the LX. They are great cameras.
Thanks Chris. We won't talk about the roll that recently went through the ME Super...it was one way to find out there were a lot of problems with that camera.

I am looking forward to using the Lomo films with the LX, and seeing what can be achieved.
02-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #12615
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heaven knows what this is going to cost them in losses. Really unfortunate.

So much hard work by so many people has gone in try to make this one of the best Wings over Wairarapa yet - and to be completely rained out. See Wings Over Wairarapa