QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
My nephew on his jetski :-)
Rounding up sheep?

03-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #12857
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
You can always trust a Canadian (I happen to be one haha)
Honest as the day is long....

But ya I agree that the review was honest which was good.
I like that they have included good and bad

Biggest come away is it might not be worth the price tag
When the KP was first announced with it's specifications I was interested in the possibility of it being a replacement for my K-3. I will wait for a few more reviews yet, including the one here at Pentax Forum, but having watched this CSTV one - I am thinking I will be waiting a bit yet
03-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #12858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
My first roll of B/W I forgot to do that - badly trained by digital to do the opposite. So, some nice images of the coast along from Shag Point had some very dark foliage shadows, as I exposed for the highlights. Part of the re-learning curve . Good fun though.
Filters are fun too. Red will leave you with dark skies, white clouds and dark foliage. Green and yellow will even out the tones and give you a more "natural" tonal range.

Books have been written on this stuff:

www.kodak.com/KodakGCG/uploadedfiles/motion/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_education_sensitometry_workbook.pdf

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2017 at 12:34 AM ----------

So I guess my basic question would be when I decide on my composition how do I decide on exposure (or does that decide on what effect I want) and once exposure if decide, does it have to be in the green, or is film flexible enough to be alright?

May seem basic exposure knowledge I should know, but have never thought this much with digital. I would think about it, set rough settings and fire of a test shot. So this concept of unknown shots is definitely spiking my craving for more knowledge.
Except for reversal process ie B/W and colour slide, film is fairly resistant to over/underexposure. It was the original HDR medium without the hoopla. There is always a optimum ISO for the particular film type but if you do get the exposure wrong, all is not lost. You can make some compensation when you process the stuff. Additionally you can compensate when printing. If you underdo the shadows, there is little info that you can pull from it but overexposing is not a big deal. Even "black" highlights on the negative can have exquisite detail teased out of it by using the "original photographic" unsharp mask. This is why the old film boys exposed for the shadows.

Underexposed negatives can get the treament to pull out some detail. Chemical treatment may help but clever lighting of the negative and rephotographing it is also an option.

If you are interested in a digital version of an unsharp mask, Jerry has done the hard work for you.

Real Digital Unsharp Masking
03-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #12859
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote

If you are interested in a digital version of an unsharp mask, Jerry has done the hard work for you.

Real Digital Unsharp Masking
I've seen something like that before I think in photoshop for the orton effect? A blurred layer that is brought back slightly. Maybe not for sharpening but for other affects. I have tried to learn some of the basics of PS, but for me at the end of the day it doesn't fit nicely in my workflow and I'm always trying to cut down edit times.

As for film and being spot metre, I will just have to brush up on exposing that way. Frame up the photo, decide what I want exposed correctly, use the spot metre to set the exposure, recompose and fire away. I am trying to keep notes for every shot so when I get them back from the lab I can take a look and see what I achieved. Then if everything came out to a acceptable levels then I can worry less and just shoot away.

03-10-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #12860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I was waiting for this to happen:

Greymouth boat crash - YouTube

Look Mum no teeth

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2017 at 10:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Rounding up sheep?

His sister has confirmed that he is a maniac... no sheep involved
03-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #12861
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fully see the KP as a trip to the parts drawers, some from the higher spec models - AF and grip option / some from the lower end 1/6000s max shutter speed etc, and then sandwiched in a new body. The two main features of high ISO cap and grips seem to be a flop. These side trips seem to be a waste of engineering time, and the marketing works right up until someone does a review like this and points the flaws out. Like lights on the K-S1 grip or video on the 645Z etc.

Nope, not for me sorry.

I expect I'll be targeting a K-80 (which will hopefully have real mechanical SR back by then).
03-11-2017, 02:28 AM   #12862
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen something like that before I think in photoshop for the orton effect? A blurred layer that is brought back slightly. Maybe not for sharpening but for other affects. I have tried to learn some of the basics of PS, but for me at the end of the day it doesn't fit nicely in my workflow and I'm always trying to cut down edit times.
I am not a big fan of PS or any digital editor though they do have their place. Making an unsharp mask the old way involved rotating turntables, sheet film, complete darkness except for a low wattage light source for making the out of focus positive from the original negative. Digital is so much simpler and less messy both in time and material.
I still try to adhere to the shoot it once and get it right maxim though digi does give you the opportunity to experiment.
Good idea on keeping notes though don't miss a shot because of it. Also if you have a hand held meter, try to guess the exposure without referring to it but use it as a check. Most of the old boys didn't have meters so it was mostly guess work. I'm not so sure I could do that anymore. If you can guess the exposure correctly, it won't matter if the cam battery dies.

03-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #12863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Good idea on keeping notes though don't miss a shot because of it. Also if you have a hand held meter, try to guess the exposure without referring to it but use it as a check. Most of the old boys didn't have meters so it was mostly guess work. I'm not so sure I could do that anymore. If you can guess the exposure correctly, it won't matter if the cam battery dies.
I'm reverse learning, but I think thats what it's all about. learning something I didn't know the day before. I haven't missed a shot, but I'm already a bit more selective since it's film, but after I get the shot I want, I just add a note in my phone, just making a note of aperture, shutter speed and where or what I exposed to. That's it.

PS is too much for me, but lightroom is a staple. It's the only way of natural selection with digital. I load them in and tag ones I like, edit those and boom, taken 300 shots down to 15 or less. And now that the new LR has built in Panorama and HDR (not used much) I go less into photoshop. I also use LR for exporting purposes to smaller formats like instagram. But 100% agree on getting it right in Camera the first time.
03-11-2017, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #12864
Pentaxian

The saga of my dead laptop is over. I got a replacement motherboard off Ebay from Hong Kong for $85. I got it installed and Windows 10 wouldn't boot. Fortunately I still have my old Windows 7 hard drive, so tried that and it worked. I suspected the BIOS might have been an old version, which it was so updated that from Windows 7.
Back to Windows 10 and a run of a few repair tools and it's booting, and running fine.
Adobe CC complained that I was trying to run on a third device and I was only licensed for two, but I just logged into my account, selected the laptop, deactivated it, and logged into the Adobe CC app again, and all working fine.
Windows doesn't appear to have complained about a different motherboard ID as it still says it's activated.
03-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #12865
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
The saga of my dead laptop is over. I got a replacement motherboard off Ebay from Hong Kong for $85. I got it installed and Windows 10 wouldn't boot. Fortunately I still have my old Windows 7 hard drive, so tried that and it worked. I suspected the BIOS might have been an old version, which it was so updated that from Windows 7.
Back to Windows 10 and a run of a few repair tools and it's booting, and running fine.
Adobe CC complained that I was trying to run on a third device and I was only licensed for two, but I just logged into my account, selected the laptop, deactivated it, and logged into the Adobe CC app again, and all working fine.
Windows doesn't appear to have complained about a different motherboard ID as it still says it's activated.
Good to hear you got it sorted. Computer troubles can be such a pain in the ....
03-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #12866
Veteran Member

A week ago I bought a new super zoom bridge camera, promising that I would sell my 'old' K50. Well, after having both cameras, I am keeping the K50. Not sure how to tell my wife the news. She thinks the pentax is already listed, however, I have listed a couple of surplus lenses,,,, so that's a start, then I go and put an opening bid on another pentax lens.

I think I am slowing digging a deep hole for myself.
03-11-2017, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #12867
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
A week ago I bought a new super zoom bridge camera, promising that I would sell my 'old' K50. Well, after having both cameras, I am keeping the K50. Not sure how to tell my wife the news. She thinks the pentax is already listed, however, I have listed a couple of surplus lenses,,,, so that's a start, then I go and put an opening bid on another pentax lens.

I think I am slowing digging a deep hole for myself.
Tell your wife that, a bit like bicycles, the correct number of cameras to own is n+1 where n is the number of cameras you own now. (Or alternatively s-1 where s is the number you own which will result in separation with your spouse)
03-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #12868
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
.... Not sure how to tell my wife the news....
ya gotta front foot it...point out how blessed she is that you don't drink and womanise
lay that on thick and she be asking what lens you want for your birthday
03-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #12869
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ya gotta front foot it...point out how blessed she is that you don't drink and womanise
Good advice! An LBA is a lot better than an STD.
03-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #12870
Veteran Member

She is not that stupid. I think she knows I want to keep both cameras. I will list a 3rd spare lens shortly, that will leave me with just the 18-55 and the 50-300 DA's. That range covers my field's of photography. I was very disappointed in the K50 when I first got it, but I seem to have it sorted now. Hopefully I can score a WR lens just to cover being caught out on damp days.

Oh dear,, here I go again.