Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #12931

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
They look okay. Re newsprint, I sent a beautiful sunrise photo into the local rag once. On the newsprint it looked absolutely terrible. I'll never do that again.
Dust,, I'm taking the camera into Snapshot tomorrow to give the sensor a wash & wax. No, I don't have the cleaning gear, wouldn't know if I'd done the job properly, and even if it means paying a few bob, I'm sure they will do a far better job than me.

Which begs a question. Should the sensor be given a periodic clean (maintenance), or do you wait till the photos look like a sand storm?
Eeek -I wouldn't go for a sensor clean to move that dust. I big rocket blower off ebay or TMe will do the trick I think. As far as sensors go, I'm very much in the 'leave well alone' camp...

03-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #12932

Photos: Albums
I am waiting for a shipping price from Aussie to NZ for a 18-55 WR lens. Almost nothing available here, in my price range.
What's your price range out of curiosity?
03-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #12933
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mealznpukz Quote
What's your price range out of curiosity?
I have picked up a lens from another chap on this forum privately. Offered it to me for a really good price, , but I'm no dummy, I've seen these 'too good to be real' deals before. I managed to push his price up till I got it for 10 x its' worth.

Finally listed the camera this morning, the new one, not the K50. I'll take a monetary loss but the dslr is, for me, a better camera. Besides,, I've just bought another bloody lens for the K50.

Last edited by awa355; 03-25-2017 at 04:58 PM.
03-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #12934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have picked up a lens from another chap on this forum privately. Offered it to me for a really good price, , but I'm no dummy, I've seen these 'too good to be real' deals before. I managed to push his price up till I got it for 10 x its' worth.

Finally listed the camera this morning, the new one, not the K50. I'll take a monetary loss but the dslr is, for me, a better camera. Besides,, I've just bought another bloody lens for the K50.
And so it goes....

03-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #12935
Veteran Member

Dust,, I'm taking the camera into Snapshot tomorrow to give the sensor a wash & wax. No, I don't have the cleaning gear, wouldn't know if I'd done the job properly, and even if it means paying a few bob, I'm sure they will do a far better job than me.

Which begs a question. Should the sensor be given a periodic clean (maintenance), or do you wait till the photos look like a sand storm?
Sensors do need an occasional clean, even if there is Dust Reduction modes in the camera, sometimes the dust particles are too big or have a foreign substance that attaches them to the sensor and the vibration methods won't move them.
We do cleans in house here at work too, we use an Artic Butterfly brush and the visible dust wet swabs. The best thing to do is use the artic butterfly first, that pics up all the loose particles first, then use one wet swab once in one direction.
03-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #12936
Pentaxian

a new Q with 01 prime for $250 on TM
it's a crime really
03-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #12937
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I was glad they didn't print this one, poor kid !
My old school too lost 64 to 95 to some private outfit
The shocking PP is how I gave it to the paper, newsprint seems to suck the life out of pics.

cropped from below. I can see why the K-3 could be better but 16MPickles still seems to go a long way.
Yeah good timing, very satisfying getting a shot like that.

I change my lenses heaps and only wet clean the sensor about once a year max. Blower way more often though, even when I don't see it on my shots, I do it in case there's something there that may stick more in the future.

03-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #12938
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Eeek -I wouldn't go for a sensor clean to move that dust. I big rocket blower off ebay or TMe will do the trick I think. As far as sensors go, I'm very much in the 'leave well alone' camp...
I've never had dust on the sensor that could not be shifted with a Rocketblower. What is very odd though, is that when my camera was newer, it seemed to get sensor dust much more frequently than now. I can't figure that one out.
03-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #12939
Pentaxian

no dust discussion is complete without my K100D insect splat incident shot
filter your rocket folks

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2017 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah good timing, very satisfying getting a shot like that.
thanks Arpe, I had no idea how to operate that camera as usual so was just doing one shot per delivery
I spose the pros spray
03-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #12940

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
a new Q with 01 prime for $250 on TM
it's a crime really
Extremely sharp price including that lens, (almost) not worth the grief though.
03-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #12941
Veteran Member

So I'm sure you've all been there, but once again I think I'm in the market to spend yet some more money. Unfortunately not really by choice. So I'm seeking some advice.
my k50 has been showing signs of aperture failure and my plan was to not worry about it. Only on start up or coming out of sleep it would take one shot (which would be very dark) and then would shoot normal. Then it went to three dark shots and today it decided to jump to almost 15 shots. Coming out of sleep mode or powered on it was taking loads of shots to get it to fire right. I put it in burst mode to get it working. In live view it seems to be affected differently by I think over exposing the shots, but if I switch back to view finder it then goes to underexposed shots. Eventually it starts to take normal shots. But 5 or 10 minutes later its the same thing....very frustrating.
Long story short I am going home to Canada for a month in July and was going to upgrade there, either k3ii, KP or k70. Since it tends to be much cheaper there, and more selection for second hand. At the moment a k3 and lens goes for 700NZD second hand. But now I am thinking I just upgrade now since I'll be going on a big road trip starting after easter and might as well have a new camera to go with it.

There has been the k70 sitting on TM for a while and other than that I would be looking new. Can't import without getting big fees and having to wait for shipping. Would be better to get in NZ. faster shipping. What I'm trying to figure out would be my best approach to the situation and why is the k3ii in NZ still much more expensive than the KP even though everywhere else in the world the k3 seems to be much cheaper than the new KP. in Canada at the moment a new k3ii is 1170NZD and the KP 1595nzd. Anyone looking to unload a k3ii or k70?

Thank guys any advice on the situation would be great. Figure I plan on spending the money in a few months and was planning on it, so might as well do it now.
03-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #12942
Pentaxian

one of the NZ dealers probably still has that new K-20 for a shade under $3,000
03-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #12943
Veteran Member

Seems to me your options, both new and 2nd hand would be far greater in Canada.

The aperture problem on my K50 had been fixed before I bought it. I don't know what sort of performance or cost it would be to get done in NZ.
03-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #12944
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
There has been the k70 sitting on TM for a while and other than that I would be looking new. Can't import without getting big fees and having to wait for shipping. Would be better to get in NZ. faster shipping. What I'm trying to figure out would be my best approach to the situation and why is the k3ii in NZ still much more expensive than the KP even though everywhere else in the world the k3 seems to be much cheaper than the new KP. in Canada at the moment a new k3ii is 1170NZD and the KP 1595nzd. Anyone looking to unload a k3ii or k70?

Thank guys any advice on the situation would be great. Figure I plan on spending the money in a few months and was planning on it, so might as well do it now.
Ok, So looking around a few Canadian sites, the KP is sitting at around the $1400 Canadian, which is around $1525 NZ, BUT then you have to pay freight, GST and Customs fees, plus here in NZ, the Authorised Service center wont touch it under warranty without adding an international service fee, as it would be a grey import camera (silly i know considering the global warranty Pentax has) So at $1400C or $1525NZ it would cost you another $277 in GST & Customs fees, + freight so it most likely will work out more expensive than buying here in NZ (we at southern cameras have the KP listed for $1790 body only including taxes)

Oh the K-70 on trademe at the moment, pretty sure its an ex-rep demo camera from the NZ Distributor

Last edited by Kiwi645hauler; 03-27-2017 at 07:54 PM.
03-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #12945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Ok, So looking around a few Canadian sites, the KP is sitting at around the $1400 Canadian, which is around $1525 NZ, BUT then you have to pay freight, GST and Customs fees, plus here in NZ, the Authorised Service center wont touch it under warranty without adding an international service fee, as it would be a grey import camera (silly i know considering the global warranty Pentax has) So at $1400C or $1525NZ it would cost you another $277 in GST & Customs fees, + freight so it most likely will work out more expensive than buying here in NZ (we at southern cameras have the KP listed for $1790 body only including taxes)

Oh the K-70 on trademe at the moment, pretty sure its an ex-rep demo camera from the NZ Distributor
Ya I messaged the guy and he said he is the distributor for the camera. Said it's like new. So not a bad deal. But he wouldn't add actual photos of the camera because he said it would lower the status. So I think it's a good deal with the waranty but also bit strange he doesn't want to provide more info.

As for Canada since I will be going there I would buy there. I don't want to import anything for all those reasons. That being said I would love a new one. But how come the k3ii is more than the kp?