Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #12946
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Ya I messaged the guy and he said he is the distributor for the camera. Said it's like new. So not a bad deal. But he wouldn't add actual photos of the camera because he said it would lower the status. So I think it's a good deal with the waranty but also bit strange he doesn't want to provide more info.

As for Canada since I will be going there I would buy there. I don't want to import anything for all those reasons. That being said I would love a new one. But how come the k3ii is more than the kp?
The K-3II is a larger body that is all alloy, plus the K3 has a number of different things the KP doesnt have, such as built in GPS, Headphone jack, Dual Card slots, better battery life, top deck LCD, HDMI out, Bigger buffer for shooting more images in JPEG and RAW faster, here in NZ at least the K3II is still regarded a higher spec body than the KP hence the extra price, but i do know many in North America are clearing K3IIs out in favor of the K-1

03-27-2017, 10:48 PM - 3 Likes   #12947
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
here in NZ at least the K3II is still regarded a higher spec body than the KP hence the extra price, but i do know many in North America are clearing K3IIs out in favour of the K-1
Ya that is what I was thinking. Although it's cheaper everywhere else, it's still in good market position here. I would prefer the k3ii over KP for all the specs mentioned above, but more for it's proven ability and it is time tested, but at $2000 thats a large commitment and not one I can make.

Today funny enough the k50 worked alright. Taking maybe 2 shots on average to then fire fine. Maybe it was weather or something yesterday acting up or maybe something unrelated. I noticed doing a time lapse yesterday that it just ends the time lapse whenever it wants, even if there is still space on the card and sometime before the set interval. She's starting to age I think and doing some funky things. But when she works, the k50 can pull of amazing photos.

example. Last nights Aurora in Queenstown. BLEW MY MIND!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
03-27-2017, 11:36 PM - 3 Likes   #12948
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in a taxi from the airport to the city this evening, and had chosen to come the 'scenic' route. I had to get the taxi to stop to make this image of light and fog over central Wellington. K3 and DA 20-40 Limited at 40mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-28-2017, 12:18 AM   #12949
Veteran Member

Eric, Another thread has a member with Li-109 battery woes. After a lot of advise re cleaning the terminals, she tried the AA battery adapter and found her aperture failure problems went away.

Fully discharging Li109 batteries {Resolved} - PentaxForums.com

03-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #12950
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Eric, Another thread has a member with Li-109 battery woes. After a lot of advise re cleaning the terminals, she tried the AA battery adapter and found her aperture failure problems went away.

Very interesting. Because yesterday I was shooting with a TM off brand 109 Battery and today I had the fully charge Pentax original (which gave me less problems today). I was actually planning on getting the AA adapter for my road trip since I have loads of AA batteries from work and a good back up if I am on the road and can't charge.

So with this I will order the adapter off TM and see if that helps and I'll run some tests. Apparently from that article because I charge through a power strip it could cause some problems and I could use a clean on the contacts.

Thanks for knowing that already. Looking into it.
03-28-2017, 03:02 AM   #12951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote

I am currently having the same issues with my K-500. AA's do work but don't use the Panasonic Heavy Duty Dry Cells. They are good for 3 or 4 frames before the cam spits up a battery depleted message. The Eveready Heavy Duty dry cells lasted a while but now I have alkaline installed. Incidentally, my AC power supply does not solve the the aperture issue, obviously it is a bit short on ergs.

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 03-28-2017 at 03:13 AM.
03-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #12952
Veteran Member

Using the more expensive lithium AA batteries in my K100d I took 10x the number of photos than using alkaline batteries.

03-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #12953
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was in a taxi from the airport to the city this evening, and had chosen to come the 'scenic' route. I had to get the taxi to stop to make this image of light and fog over central Wellington. K3 and DA 20-40 Limited at 40mm
Neat shot Ross.
We're still under a cloud in the Wairarapa!
03-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #12954
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Neat shot Ross.
We're still under a cloud in the Wairarapa!
Thanks Mark, it is the same here in Wellington today. Flights are all getting diverted to Palmy...
03-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #12955
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mark, it is the same here in Wellington today. Flights are all getting diverted to Palmy...
So no luck for flying home?
03-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #12956
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So no luck for flying home?
I am just working in Wellington today and presenting at a seminar tomorrow. One of my staff coming to Wellington today has ended up in Palmy. I am good though
03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #12957
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry - I forgot about your seminar.
03-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #12958
Pentaxian

But when she works, the k50 can pull of amazing photos.

example. Last nights Aurora in Queenstown. BLEW MY MIND!!!

[/url][/IMG]
Wow! That's nice. I might have to have another go with the K-50 at night photography now I have a lens that can do 2.8 at 17mm.
ISO 1600 is about as high as I'd push it, but with my 50mm 1.4 I was starting to get star trails with the kind of exposures I wanted to get some foreground detail.

Incidentally, what's your shutter count? My K-50 is just coming up on 2 years old and has a shutter count a bit under 5,500, so it's not really been worked hard.

---------- Post added 03-29-17 at 03:32 PM ----------

Stunning image, even if it does look at bit like someone just nuked Wellington.

There was very strange weather here the other side of the strait with mist and sunshine at the same time.

Here's a clip I made with the K-50 up the hills yesterday. Real time, not time lapse.

03-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #12959
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Wow! That's nice. I might have to have another go with the K-50 at night photography now I have a lens that can do 2.8 at 17mm.
ISO 1600 is about as high as I'd push it, but with my 50mm 1.4 I was starting to get star trails with the kind of exposures I wanted to get some foreground detail.

Incidentally, what's your shutter count? My K-50 is just coming up on 2 years old and has a shutter count a bit under 5,500, so it's not really been worked hard.[COLOR="Silver"]
Astro with the k-50 can do alright. The first shots I ever got were with the kit lens and it worked. But since I got the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 its even better. Depends on the nights. I generally shoot with the same settings now and one night I can get crisp milky way and the next night not so much. Could be environmental with light pollution, haze.
Then i adjust accordingly, small star trails don't bother me much, when not pixel peeping most will look sharp enough. So I usually float between 20 or 25 seconds shutter, Iso 1600 is preferred but 3200 is okay if it gets me more of the stars (same as above, noise isn't always visible on computer screens until you zoom in. Since I don't print I don't notice it so much. And with the shot above I have been stitching more to get a bigger shot. Tried my DA 10-17 with astro, not that good.

As for my shutter count it's at almost 28000. Don't know where I managed to shoot that many, but hey it's digital and I've been learning the past few years and travelling non stop. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised it's dying.
03-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #12960
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Astro with the k-50 can do alright.
I really liked that image you shared above too Eric - stunning, and thanks for sharing it.

You are inspiring me to try some astro photography too. I have recently brought a tripod and ball head, so I now have the gear I need for that. Thanks for sharing the settings you are using too - that helps cut down the experimentation time.
« GR x GIN Social | - »