04-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #13081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Really jealous of all you flyboys
Hope the weather holds out for you
overcast best for airshows

2007 image on A700 P&S
I disagree about overcast. Too much of it and there's bugger all light, and any amount of it means a lot of the light coming from behind the aircraft. Good for silhouettes I suppose.

I was there in 2007, too. Fantastic show, although that was the time I spent a good chunk of the day taking under exposed shots. The two things I learned from the experience were to remember to check camera settings after changing batteries, and shooting RAW can sometimes save the day!

And speaking of overcast – some pilots make their own (from Omaka 2007)...

04-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #13082
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well what a summer it's been, weather wise. My weekend plans got scrapped as well. Headed to Mt Aspiring way and had to decide not to go trekking. Low clouds, rain and possible gale force winds up on French Ridge Saddle. On the way home finally got a shot with the k70. Best I can do with weather like this.
[IMG][/IMG]

Would a better Sensor, like upgrading to the 24mpx, change how you're aperture setting on DOF detail is recorded?
Just thinking if f8 on the k50 seem to get me all around good sharpness, or a sweet spot I liked. Would that change with a different sensor? would it be able to handle f11 let say better since the sensor could retain more sharpness in the distance?

hope weather works out for you guys.
04-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #13083
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I disagree about overcast. Too much of it and there's bugger all light, and any amount of it means a lot of the light coming from behind the aircraft. Good for silhouettes I suppose.
fair enough

Jeeze the sea was mucky at Mowhanau

8mm f8
04-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #13084
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the signs are good for tomorrow. Weather behaving, my aircraft is already on the ground at Wellington, checked in, camera batteries charged, snacks purchased. Zoom zoom!

As far as I know Kiwi110Auto and Kiwizinho will be there also. I'm the 6'2" one with the grey Gran Turismo cap and likely wearing my K-5 on a BlackRapid shoulder-hip strap, if anyone wants to come up and say hi.

04-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #13085
Pentaxian

Legends !
04-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #13086
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
All the signs are good for tomorrow. Weather behaving, my aircraft is already on the ground at Wellington, checked in, camera batteries charged, snacks purchased. Zoom zoom!

As far as I know Kiwi110Auto and Kiwizinho will be there also. I'm the 6'2" one with the grey Gran Turismo cap and likely wearing my K-5 on a BlackRapid shoulder-hip strap, if anyone wants to come up and say hi.
My wife was there today volunteering, and once entries had closed she was allowed to go onto the Gold Pass grandstand. I'm seriously jealous! She said the fireworks display was one of the best she's ever seen, and perfectly coordinated to the music.

From her description of the grounds, it sounds as though this show is turning into a tribute to Fred Dagg. If you don't take your gumboots, you won't know what to do.

Maybe that explains why the Catalina is back this year. Ground suited to amphibians.

I wasn't sure How I'd identify myself, but apparently there are fancy dress prizes, so I'll most likely have a 5 year old ANZAC nurse in tow, as my daughter is determined she is going to win.
04-14-2017, 04:00 AM   #13087
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Would a better Sensor, like upgrading to the 24mpx, change how you're aperture setting on DOF detail is recorded?
Just thinking if f8 on the k50 seem to get me all around good sharpness, or a sweet spot I liked. Would that change with a different sensor? would it be able to handle f11 let say better since the sensor could retain more sharpness in the distance?

hope weather works out for you guys.
Not in an optical way but if you can perceive a difference in general sharpness then maybe you could argue that the sharpest bits will be that little bit sharper. I would very much doubt that it would be visible though. Of course going Full Frame will make the DoF more shallow for a given fstop. And conversely playing with the PentaxQ with adapted 35mm lenses created visibly deeper DoF. Makes the Q a good macro camera.

04-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #13088
Veteran Member

fair enough

Jeeze the sea was mucky at Mowhanau
Nice and clean at Raglan.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-14-2017, 07:27 PM - 4 Likes   #13089
Veteran Member

I hope the air birds got off the ground at the air show today.

This bird is as close as I could get.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #13090
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
...and I am well aware I can get pixel shift at significantly less cost with the K3II.
That's the route I'm taking by the look of it
04-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #13091
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
This bird is as close as I could get.
Can't argue with that one
04-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #13092
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's the route I'm taking by the look of it
The K-70 has pixel shift too, and I assume is cheaper still?
04-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #13093
Pentaxian

Spose so. I want a top lcd,decent buffer, two card slots etc
Probably mad letting the K5-iis go
04-15-2017, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #13094
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree.

I believe you'll find it hard to make use of PixelShift. Even air motion can be sufficient to spoil the approach. Forget hand-holding or taking pictures of flowers in the slightest of breezes. And let's face it, even without PS our cameras provide plenty of resolution.

The differences between the K-5II and the K-3 sensor are not worth changing the camera, AFAIC (only the K-5(II) has ISO 80!), and I don't see any other significant differences between the cameras either.

As APS-C cameras go, the K-5IIs is still up there, AFAIC.
04-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #13095
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Spose so. I want a top lcd,decent buffer, two card slots etc
Agree on lots of this. I'm currently in the lower consumer grade tire with the K-30 and K-S1 and honestly I am totally happy with the image quality of those cameras. The major issues for me is a need for better continus auto focus and most importantly a bigger buffer / burst rate. To get this I will have to step up a grade.

I used to have a top LCD screen, and I really thought I would miss that more than I actually did. They still look like 1990s calculator LCD screens and it cracks me up when I see it now.

Pixelshift tech is really impressive but I genuinely feel it's for studio still life shots only, despite the fact that the new software can identify areas of movement and opt not to compile for shots in those areas. Like a simulated AA filter, it looks cool and capable, but I think I would hardly ever use it.