Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #13366
Veteran Member

The next person along may well disagree vehemently with the 5d3 comment, but yes, the KP is pretty good (that said I should probably get the KP, the K50 and the 5d3 out together for a walk or two).

05-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #13367
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those with a k50 looking to upgrade. Don't rule out the k70. I know I got a steal on mine from IRL on trademe. But considering it was brand new it would have still been worth the original 850 he was asking. Overall its been a fluid transition for both the camera and in PP. But I find it incredibly user friendly. Slight enhancements in the menu and user settings make it quicker to change around.

But the winner is the sensor. I mean it's such a massive jump from the K50 and very noticeable in sharpness and detail. I really can't wait to start printing some shots. Highlight and shadow recovery is very good. Still need to watch out to not over do and get hdr effect. But if you get the shot in camera you can recover quite a bit. Raw files took some getting used to as they are pretty flat once you open them in lightroom.

Now that I'm not dealing with the aperture failure frustrations and am satisfied with my kit of lens. It's nice to just shoot away and not be shopping.

One problem I am running into is file size. Memory cards and laptop are filling up too fast and I just can't delete shots. I'm like a photo hoarder.

In Wellington Friday for four nights before my 4 weeks exploring north island. Let me know if anybody is keen to go shooting or want a play with the k70. I'll try and upload some south island shots once I get time and decent internet.
05-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #13368

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
For those with a k50 looking to upgrade. Don't rule out the k70. I know I got a steal on mine from IRL on trademe. But considering it was brand new it would have still been worth the original 850 he was asking. Overall its been a fluid transition for both the camera and in PP. But I find it incredibly user friendly. Slight enhancements in the menu and user settings make it quicker to change around.

But the winner is the sensor. I mean it's such a massive jump from the K50 and very noticeable in sharpness and detail. I really can't wait to start printing some shots. Highlight and shadow recovery is very good. Still need to watch out to not over do and get hdr effect. But if you get the shot in camera you can recover quite a bit. Raw files took some getting used to as they are pretty flat once you open them in lightroom.

Now that I'm not dealing with the aperture failure frustrations and am satisfied with my kit of lens. It's nice to just shoot away and not be shopping.

One problem I am running into is file size. Memory cards and laptop are filling up too fast and I just can't delete shots. I'm like a photo hoarder.

In Wellington Friday for four nights before my 4 weeks exploring north island. Let me know if anybody is keen to go shooting or want a play with the k70. I'll try and upload some south island shots once I get time and decent internet.
Hmm...nearly had your K70 -when negotiating the return of my new (not new) KS2 with IRL's it was on offer, with a small cash difference. Decided I wanted a complete change from the K50. Good to hear you're sold on it
05-12-2017, 04:37 PM - 4 Likes   #13369
Veteran Member

here's a shot from the last Aurora Storm a few weeks ago. Finally have decent wifi in Welly to upload this. Didn't have the best view from Lake Hawea. Didn't want to drive and miss the storm, just ran, actually ran down to the water to grab this Pano.

Shot with k70, and I think 3 or 4 shots stitched together. Custom K white balance.

[IMG][/IMG]

05-14-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #13370
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Transit
Have a look at these innovations to appreciate the effort Pentax engineers expended on making the K-1 as small as possible:

This shows how the mirror hinge moves in order to reduce the size of the mirror box without compromising the 100% coverage.

This shows how they folded the optical path to the AF system to make the overall system compact.

BTW, these images are from the German Ricoh K-1 description. It is quite extensive. You can get to this page by starting at "http://www.ricoh-imaging.com/" and selecting "Europe" (etc.).

Guess where you land when you start at "http://www.ricoh-imaging.com/" and select "Oceania" and then "New Zeland"?
!!!THE HORROR!!!

Last edited by Class A; 05-14-2017 at 07:10 AM.
05-14-2017, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #13371
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Guess where you land when you start at "http://www.ricoh-imaging.com/" and select "Oceania" and then "New Zealand"?
I did that once. Never again!
05-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #13372
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I did that once. Never again!
Imagine the poor sods identifying as "New Zealanders" landing on IRL's sorry page and seeing this as a representation of Ricoh Imaging!

Compare this to the presence of Ricoh Imaging in other regions!

Mind. Blown.

And Ricoh is watching...

05-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #13373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Guess where you land when you start at "http://www.ricoh-imaging.com/" and select "Oceania" and then "New Zeland"?
!!!THE HORROR!!!
Hmm... Apparently they haven't heard of the KP, as the K-70 is their newest arrival.

Supposedly Ian Little's daughter is responsible for 'business development'. Who would have known?

Presumably actually promoting the latest Pentax gear doesn't count?

Actually coffee machines and Pentax could go together brilliantly. All it takes is some great promotional material showing creative types enjoying their lattes in chic cafes in between photo shoots.
05-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #13374
Pentaxian

Ricoh is watching....
I like it, sounds like an episode from Breaking Bad
05-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #13375
Veteran Member

He told me that they have done no promotion of the kp, I don't know if that means they don't plan to do any.

I did a shoot the other day where we had several cameras, my kp at 32,000 ISO looked like a canon 760d at 1600 when we were shooting in a black painted space (which is pretty challenging) - I was quite surprised by both cameras, I expected better from the Canon, it wasn't the amount of noise but the quality of noise that surprised me, the canon was coloured speckles, the KP was grainy, but mostly neutral colour.

(I wasn't shooting at 32k seriously, just mucking about in a gap, I was using ISO 500 for most of it).

Last edited by sqrrl; 05-14-2017 at 08:20 PM.
05-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #13376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote

Actually coffee machines and Pentax could go together brilliantly. All it takes is some great promotional material showing creative types enjoying their lattes in chic cafes in between photo shoots.
Olympus have the same theory that coffee and cameras go well together, they are launching a program later on this year that for a small fee, you will be able to take your digital Pen or OM-D camera into a cafe, sit down over a coffee with an Olympus tech and learn about your camera and how to get more out of it...

---------- Post added 05-14-17 at 10:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
He told me that they have done no promotion of the kp, I don't know if that means they don't plan to do any.

I did a shoot the other day where we had several cameras, my kp at 32,000 ISO looked like a canon 760d at 1600 when we were shooting in a black painted space (which is pretty challenging) - I was quite surprised by both cameras, I expected better from the Canon, it wasn't the amount of noise but the quality of noise that surprised me, the canon was coloured speckles, the KP was grainy, but mostly neutral colour.

(I wasn't shooting at 32k seriously, just mucking about in a gap, I was using ISO 500 for most of it).
To be honest i am not surprised the KP out performed the 760D in low light, the underlying architecture of the sensor in those was originally seen in the 18mp EOS 600D, and they basically crammed more pixels into the area,
The basic sensor design in those xxxD series Canon's has generally been 1-2 generations behind the x0D and xD series APS-C sensors. Canon's noise profiles can be rather interesting with colours, i used to notice that in my EOS 300D, but my Sony A580, and my Olympus OM-D are more neutral, and the output of most Pentax's ive seen are the same
05-14-2017, 11:47 PM   #13377
Veteran Member

I wasn't surprised that the kp did better, I coughed up rather a lot of money for it, and I'd be rather disappointed if it didn't

I was surprised at how great the difference is. The 760d isn't a bad camera by any stretch, it might be an older sensor technology, but it's generally ok in 99% of occasions - this was a 1% situation.

The Kp was pretty noisy and not pretty by any stretch, but four stops or more perceived difference is ludicrous.
05-18-2017, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #13378
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another holiday video mashup/music video/memories captured.

Pentax K-S1/K-30, usually 35mm DA lens and a GoPro Hero 5.
05-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #13379
Veteran Member

200 DPI in real terms.

200 dpi, is what the local rag has asked for re any photos. My understanding is ppi (pixels per inch) is what should be talked about rather than dpi's.

Regardless, what size does a photo need to be, for submitting in pixels x pixels for the paper to print?. I did ask the editor to clarify the required size, his reply was for a 200 dpi pic, the photo should be 3096 wide and 4128 high. He admitted he doesn't really know, being a journalist rather than a photographer and I suspect he may not be correct. The photo I had sent in was 2091 x 1396 and it printed out as about a 3" x 3" pic.

I had a photo of a local women's soccer game published this week. I had sent some photos to the coach after last weekends game and he submitted a couple with his game report to the Te A paper. The coach has asked me to come along again tomorrow as being a minor grade, they get nothing in the way of coverage unless the club sends something in.

Any advice?, thanks.
05-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #13380
Pentaxian

Newsprint sucks the colour and contrast so I wack them up.
Your careful composition will be mindlessly cropped :-)
« GR x GIN Social | - »