Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #13516
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
With which strobes?
I don't think strobes will be supported for the TTL function.

You can trigger strobes (with a connector cable), but remote power level control and TTL won't be supported unless the strobe has a hot-shoe connector and implements a standard protocol (e.g., for Canon or Nikon) that the V6II is compatible with.

HSS is sometimes still available with strobes, if the latter allow to manually engage HSS. This works with some Godox flashes/strobes, for instance.

I'm assuming this is with speedlights.
Yes, and they have to be supported by the V6II. The number of models (from many brands) supported is very useful, though. There are generic flash profiles as well as the model-specific ones, meaning that even a non-listed flash model may be supported after all.

At my work we generally use either pocketwizards or elinchrome skyports - both are totally reliable
I agree that reliability is an important factor. My V6 units have been 100% reliable as well.

I don't have much experience with the V6II yet. Early firmware versions had issues but with later ones I had no problems anymore during testing. Haven't used them much for real shoots yet, so I wouldn't be able to vouch 100% personally. There don't seem to be complaints from other Pentax users, so I'm not suspecting issues.

I just run everything manual as i never know which camera I'm about to get handed.
I'm a big fan of manual control myself. I find it easier to use and it delivers 100% consistent results. However, TTL could come in handy for very dynamic situations.

06-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #13517
Veteran Member

I've been reading the cactus webpage - actually a fairly compelling argument. it's a nice touch to be able to start by buying yonguo strobes and then upgrade to nikon sb*** strobes as you can afford them.

Some high end studio strobe systems are able to be automated - they're waaay out of my price range - the sort of thing that commercial car photographers use.
06-25-2017, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #13518
Veteran Member

Touching down.

Landing gear down,,, flaps up. I captured the Kingfisher in the only 10 minutes of sunshine while I was at the local lake.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-25-2017, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #13519
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 28-70 F2.8AL on TM great price as new
I couldn't lift it

06-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #13520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Landing gear down,,, flaps up. I captured the Kingfisher in the only 10 minutes of sunshine while I was at the local lake.
Nice! Love that Kingi shot with the bright berries. The other looks like a juvenile Caspian Tern. Quite a different aspect than the usual head-down-in-flight of these birds.

I refrained from the disappointment of rushing downstairs to grab my camera when a Kereru was busy stripping leaves off the Kowhai about 5m outside my dining room window this morning. I did rush and get it for the Rosella that appeared later. And failed to capture focus on all three shots. :-( I blame the very shallow angle through the double glazing. It started off in the same tree, then went onto the guttering, and the last I saw it, it was sitting on a windowsill looking into the house. Weird!
06-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #13521
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I couldn't lift it
Did you attempt to lift the copy that is being sold or another one?

This lens got some great reviews but also some pretty bad ones. Perhaps there is sample variation?
Wasn't the seller the one we discussed a while back with some of us not being impressed by his attitude?
If I could have a look at the lens first, I might be interested but I don't think I am as it is.
06-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #13522
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice shots of the birds. Looks like you are able to shot with an Aperture of 5.8 on your 55-300. Anything less than f11 on mine isn't sharp. Which is a shame because shooting at f11/f13 drives the iso up high.

Does you're lens shoot sharp across all apertures? I'm debating trying to sell mine and try and find one that shoots sharp or go WR with a new one.

06-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #13523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Kingfisher shot is a good one!

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
nice shots of the birds. Looks like you are able to shot with an Aperture of 5.8 on your 55-300. Anything less than f11 on mine isn't sharp. Which is a shame because shooting at f11/f13 drives the iso up high.

Does you're lens shoot sharp across all apertures? I'm debating trying to sell mine and try and find one that shoots sharp or go WR with a new one.
The 55-300mm should be sharp at F5.8, or if not, at F6.7 (1/2 stop down). Is the lens front or back focusing?

If you put it on a tripod, and zoom to 300mm/F5.8, then focus on a target ~10-20m away, is the target in focus? If sharp in front, or behind the target, then try adjusting.
06-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #13524

hi any special gear related advise for someone going to rotorua at this time of the year?
06-25-2017, 11:24 PM - 2 Likes   #13525
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
hi any special gear related advise for someone going to rotorua at this time of the year?
Yeah, don't drop any gear in any of the hot pools - it is highly unlikely to survive
06-25-2017, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #13526
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Stick to the tracks.

06-25-2017, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #13527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote

Not sure about the aperture range of sharpness. I have never gotten to carried away with pixel peeping to any degree.

Here are two, also at f5.8 300mm. I think I had focus set to single point. The bird was a couple of meters away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #13528
Pentaxian

A few pennys to throw :-D
06-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #13529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Did you attempt to lift the copy that is being sold or another one?

This lens got some great reviews but also some pretty bad ones. Perhaps there is sample variation?
Wasn't the seller the one we discussed a while back with some of us not being impressed by his attitude?
If I could have a look at the lens first, I might be interested but I don't think I am as it is.
The closest I have come to clapping eyes on one
is the lens review section ...specifically the number 800 grams :-)
06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #13530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
That Kingfisher shot is a good one!

The 55-300mm should be sharp at F5.8, or if not, at F6.7 (1/2 stop down). Is the lens front or back focusing?

If you put it on a tripod, and zoom to 300mm/F5.8, then focus on a target ~10-20m away, is the target in focus? If sharp in front, or behind the target, then try adjusting.
I bought a lens calibration card a while back and ran some tests and it seems to be accurate give or take. Nothing that would through it off that much. I'll get around to posting a comparison in the next few days. When I first got the lens I was surprised that at f5.8 it lacked sharpness and some forum member in the group here said at f11 I would get better results for the 55-300, So I tested it and it was true.

I'll review and re-test

---------- Post added 06-27-17 at 11:10 AM ----------

Not sure about the aperture range of sharpness. I have never gotten to carried away with pixel peeping to any degree.

Here are two, also at f5.8 300mm. I think I had focus set to single point. The bird was a couple of meters away.
Will run tests tomorrow to make sure I havent lost my mind.
« GR x GIN Social | - »