Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #13771
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
My AF mode with sports is always AF-C. I hadn't thought about using the tracking feature as most of my sport photography is teams and I understand that tracking tends to lock onto a colour and so could still jump between players with the same jerseys.
With some of those group photos I was trying to get the lot in focus.
AF-C is the right way to go. I tend to go for a reasonably high shutter speed, as low an ISO as I can manage and set to shutter priority. I have had good success with all focus points on, but when there is stuff in the background that may confuse the camera, I tend to go for the central focus spot only. If you;re hoping for greater depth of field, then shutter speed will need to be sacrificed for narrower aperture, as you know.

I can't make up my mind what's more successful; All focus points or only the centre one. Often, when photographing football, I find that the centre focus point only serves me better. But then, I'm still shooting a K-5 which some here will say cannot focus on moving things at all!

08-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #13772
Veteran Member

I am finding that when shooting soccer, I now select a high focus point which I aim at the players face. This usually gets everything below the face in focus. I used to select a low focus point and try to follow the ball. Not very successful in my case.
I rarely see any difference between the 5/11 point selections. On my Nikon there are options for 9/21/39 points and again there seems to be little difference between them.
08-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #13773
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I am finding that when shooting soccer, I now select a high focus point which I aim at the players face. This usually gets everything below the face in focus. I used to select a low focus point and try to follow the ball. Not very successful in my case.
I rarely see any difference between the 5/11 point selections. On my Nikon there are options for 9/21/39 points and again there seems to be little difference between them.
I tried the high point but have gone back to centre point as it seems more consistent somehow. Like you, I can't decide if 5 or 11 points give me better results. I suspect 5 points gets slightly better results, but I don't know why!
08-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #13774
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Oh, and there was something attached to it, also visible in the (mysterious?) picture above.
Ah, I see.
Nice one!

How do you like the grip?

I don't quite get the grip design (apart from looks). There is a lot of "the old film camera bodies were better" sentiment in forums/discussions, but I find soft dials and deep grips to be actual improvements (rather than something one has to accept due to cameras having become digital).

08-07-2017, 05:35 PM - 3 Likes   #13775
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm loving the K-3 for action stuff. It expands in all the areas I'd hoped for, coming from the K-S1/K-30.

I set to high speed burst, AF.C, Expanded area AF or whatever it's called (which uses the centre point to identify the target, and then tracks that over either some or all of the available AF points grid), first frame set to focus priority and then subsequent frames set to burst priority, and got a new UHS-1 SD card. Burst for short periods, but will now run as long as I want it to without locking up after 5 shots or so. Adjust the focus hold option to suit the content, and save all that as a user setting. Have SR off for anything faster than say 1/800th setting.

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - Rubber Monkey

08-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #13776
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shot Richard.
08-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #13777
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I'm loving the K-3 for action stuff. It expands in all the areas I'd hoped for, coming from the K-S1/K-30.

I set to high speed burst, AF.C, Expanded area AF or whatever it's called (which uses the centre point to identify the target, and then tracks that over either some or all of the available AF points grid), first frame set to focus priority and then subsequent frames set to burst priority, and got a new UHS-1 SD card. Burst for short periods, but will now run as long as I want it to without locking up after 5 shots or so. Adjust the focus hold option to suit the content, and save all that as a user setting. Have SR off for anything faster than say 1/800th setting.

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - Rubber Monkey
Wow he looks like he is about to step out of the image - nice one Richard

08-08-2017, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #13778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
That aside, impressions?
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How do you like the grip?
Unfortunately I've had little time to play with it since it arrived. Life has intervened – see below.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Ooh, now I'm going to have to study that lot. Been reading the KP manual and seen settings I'm not used to on the K-5 like some of these.

I had the K-5 out the other day for what I knew would be one of its last outings as my primary body. At the airport, of course. To try something different, I set AF-C and slow burst mode. It mostly did OK, but I'll be darned if that 55-300 wasn't possessed at times. On AF-S it will sometimes do the old full-travel, back and forth loss of focus, but in AF-C it was doing a real little jig. The same basic problem but over a much shorter throw.

Now onto that life thing. In fact, the opposite, but I'm going to put a positive spin on this... I hope I can get enough time with the KP before Friday to get familiar with it because there will be a lot of family present and it would be nice to be able to capture that with the new body. Goodness knows I have seen soooo many pics from a huge variety of cameras over the last couple of days (including many Pentaxes) and right now they're very important. So the ability to capture new ones easily, and effectively will be a boon. I've never really been a fan of "all the people shots" that many people seem to take, but looking back at the family collection it seems Dad was – which is why he's not in most of the bloody photos! It seems in later life he developed a knack for getting out of frame even when someone else was shooting. I shall consider it my mission in life now to get in people's faces more often and maybe, just maybe, hand the camera to someone else so I can be in them, too.

I find it incredibly fitting that I will be using Pentax gear on this occasion because he made that choice some 50+ years ago, and he taught me most of what I know about photography on Pentax (and compatible) gear.

Now, knowing you lot, I will say thank you in advance for your thoughts. I wouldn't have mentioned it anywhere else, but I've seen the support here before and, well, I have a genuine Pentax angle on this. As a suitable tribute, I give you an example of his devotion to the art of photography, almost certainly done on Pentax gear.

Selfie stick? Don't need no stinkin' selfie stick. Or automatic exposure, or auto-focus, or a bendy screen. This was 1969...
Attached Images

08-08-2017, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #13779
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Allister, so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences. I'm sure you'll do well shooting some family this coming weekend and will do your dad proud, carrying on the Pentax (and interest in airplanes) tradition.
Kind regards,
Mark
08-08-2017, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #13780

Unfortunately I've had little time to play with it since it arrived. Life has intervened – see below.

Ooh, now I'm going to have to study that lot. Been reading the KP manual and seen settings I'm not used to on the K-5 like some of these.

I had the K-5 out the other day for what I knew would be one of its last outings as my primary body. At the airport, of course. To try something different, I set AF-C and slow burst mode. It mostly did OK, but I'll be darned if that 55-300 wasn't possessed at times. On AF-S it will sometimes do the old full-travel, back and forth loss of focus, but in AF-C it was doing a real little jig. The same basic problem but over a much shorter throw.

Now onto that life thing. In fact, the opposite, but I'm going to put a positive spin on this... I hope I can get enough time with the KP before Friday to get familiar with it because there will be a lot of family present and it would be nice to be able to capture that with the new body. Goodness knows I have seen soooo many pics from a huge variety of cameras over the last couple of days (including many Pentaxes) and right now they're very important. So the ability to capture new ones easily, and effectively will be a boon. I've never really been a fan of "all the people shots" that many people seem to take, but looking back at the family collection it seems Dad was – which is why he's not in most of the bloody photos! It seems in later life he developed a knack for getting out of frame even when someone else was shooting. I shall consider it my mission in life now to get in people's faces more often and maybe, just maybe, hand the camera to someone else so I can be in them, too.

I find it incredibly fitting that I will be using Pentax gear on this occasion because he made that choice some 50+ years ago, and he taught me most of what I know about photography on Pentax (and compatible) gear.

Now, knowing you lot, I will say thank you in advance for your thoughts. I wouldn't have mentioned it anywhere else, but I've seen the support here before and, well, I have a genuine Pentax angle on this. As a suitable tribute, I give you an example of his devotion to the art of photography, almost certainly done on Pentax gear.

Selfie stick? Don't need no stinkin' selfie stick. Or automatic exposure, or auto-focus, or a bendy screen. This was 1969...
Your world shrinks immeasurably, lost my father in 1984. He was a dedicated Pentaxian also, and introduced me to the dark art (pun intended) of B&W processing. Still think of him every day. Condolences.
08-08-2017, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #13781
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm very sad for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.
08-08-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #13782
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To echo the others above, very sorry for your loss.
08-08-2017, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #13783
Veteran Member

Same here. Such a loss is never easy to deal with.
08-09-2017, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #13784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all. On the plus side, while picking up my sister at the airport today I had a chance to give the KP a proper spin.

I had read more of the manual last night and played with the iOS app remote shooting – cool! – although I have yet to figure out how to get a photo off the camera so it could be Instagrammed. The feature could be useful for group shots with me in them. Set two second timer, check the shot, push the shutter, lower the phone out of sight, CLICK!

Today at the airport, although I had all my kit with me, I elected to spend the 90 minutes or so solely with the 18-135 on the front. I've found 135 to be long enough for my most basic aircraft shots and as it was ****ing down rain and I wanted to wander outside, it's WR attribute was a plus. My 55-300 is not the WR model.

Some first impressions:

The standard grip is far too shallow. I'm used to having something to "hang" my camera on my fingers when toting it at my side. With the KP I feel I really have to hold on to it.

In dim conditions, having the screen on with shooting parameters can be disconcerting as you bring the camera to your eye. I've not yet looked at what settings may affect that.

I like the extra focusing options (over the K-5) and I like the way they're implemented. Although, before I found the AF MODE button I was perplexed as to why it should be so buried!

The tilt screen is great. I rarely used Live View before, except for the occasional "over the fence" shot where I had to squint at the off-angle fixed screen on the K-5 and earlier. Today I used it a number of times – for over-the-fence shots, and one time for a floor-level shot. I do wish the down tilt angle were a little more as the top of the chain link fences I typically shoot over are pretty close to my reach limit so I'm usually right under the camera. But WAY better than the fixed screens.

The wheels and switches all feel really solid and pleasurable to operate. I think the K-5's were getting soft in old age. I prefer the location of the LV selection, sharing a switch with standard versus movie shooting. This makes total sense to me.

Best feature over the K-5? The SD card door! The number of times I thought I'd break the darned thing off on the K-5 because the card was way to close to the open door. The battery door is an improvement too.

Still plenty to explore, especially with different shooting modes etc. I spent the whole time in Av, mostly with auto ISO. Oh, speaking of which, I have one inside shot of a show car and it went to 6400. The noise is very evident in the smooth red paint of the car, but it is beautiful noise. It seems disingenuous to call it something as crass as noise. Maybe something to do with no AA filter?
08-09-2017, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #13785
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Now onto that life thing. In fact, the opposite,
Sorry for your loss. Life is more finite than we often care to admit, which is why it's nice to learn to capture moments in time that will outlast us.

My very first camera was a plastic 'toy' Diana-F. It leaked light like a sieve, and I think I was only about 5 when I got it, and I think it only exposed about one roll of film, but it turned out I managed to capture the last images of my grandmother before she was killed in a car accident as a result of a drunk driver.
Mum has always treasured those rather poor quality black and white images because of what they represent.

I tend to find portraits a bit difficult as I'm naturally shy, but I need to remind myself to take them and appear in them.