Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #14011
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pretty pleased with this one:
Love that image, very nice - thanks for sharing

I would be pretty pleased with an image like that too.

08-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #14012
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fleur captured this one, but it looks a bit stern.
Probably disappointed that she wasn't disturbing enough insects for a meal. I am reminded of an experience on the lawn at Waitangi back in '94. As we walked across the grass, a fantail was doing what looked like a little war dance, facing us and jumping around, ultimately heading backwards as we approached. I only learned later that he was waiting for us to disturb the insects from the grass so he could have a feed. Cute.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm happy the poem means something to you.

Looks like your fantail is trying to pretend to be a grey warbler, but looks a bit uncomfortable about it.
Yeah, I asked the ornithological society about it and apparently they are not unheard of and have been observed feeding just fine. This one seemed to have no issues flitting around above our heads and among the tree branches.

Pretty pleased with this one:
That is a beauty! I've got shots with the iridescence shining and I've got shots with the head clear and unobstructed. Fantastic job getting both.
09-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #14013
Veteran Member

Oh dear!!! the K50 is now up to 49,380 shutter count. It was about 14,000 a year ago. Had the sensor cleaned once and otherwise, it has never missed a beat.

I'm supposed to be selling it, My wife has given up asking if I have relisted the camera, I think I'm going to get away with keeping both the Pentax and Nikon. It is a shame that the lenses are not interchangeable.

To be honest, I don't think there are too many 'bad/poor dslr's on the market so the K50 would probably be just one of many, and would not command a hefty price so may as well resign myself to keeping it until it stops. Damn,,, buggar

Last edited by awa355; 09-01-2017 at 01:53 AM.
09-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #14014
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Loving the DA*55

My eldest daughter is studying in Thailand at the moment, and came racing back home to be with the family for Matts funeral. Today I dropped her at Christchurch Airport to fly back to Thailand and resume her course. She has a bad head cold, so I wasn't allowed to publicly display any front shots - as she isn't at her best. We decided to take a 'artsy' shot from behind.

I used the DA*55 I have recently acquired at f1.4. I am really loving the colour and definition that this lens gives.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #14015

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
[My eldest daughter is studying in Thailand at the moment], and came racing back home to be with the family for Matts funeral. Today I dropped her at Christchurch Airport to fly back to Thailand and resume her course. She has a bad head cold, so I wasn't allowed to publicly display any front shots - as she isn't at her best. We decided to take a 'artsy' shot from behind.

I used the DA*55 I have recently acquired at f1.4. I am really loving the colour and definition that this lens gives.
I hope the funeral went well and wasn't too difficult.

May I ask what your daughter is studying? Thailand seems an unusual place for a New Zealander to study in.
09-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #14016
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
I hope the funeral went well and wasn't too difficult.
As funerals go it was good one, Matt was a real character and we were able to have a good celebration of his life.

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
May I ask what your daughter is studying? Thailand seems an unusual place for a New Zealander to study in.
Ethno-arts and linguistics, post grad diploma - which makes northern Thailand where she is studying an ideal place to study.
09-02-2017, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #14017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I've got shots with the iridescence shining and I've got shots with the head clear and unobstructed. Fantastic job getting both.
I spoke a moment too soon. Yesterday there were a few tuis hanging out in the kowhai outside our family room window. I usually prefer sun to get the colours strong, but the light on this occasion was a lot more diffuse and that seems to be the trick with capturing the iridescence. I was also pleased that most of my shots were pin sharp. I was using the DA 55-300 ED at f/11 on the KP.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 03:22 PM ----------

What are the views here on third party batteries? I've definitely noticed the D-LI109 in the KP lasts considerably less time than the D-LI90 in the K-5. In addition to being smaller, it also has to power the screen a bit more. I thankfully got one spare with the camera, but I'm thinking I won't last a day at an air show so am looking to get at least one more.

Everywhere I look locally I see "compatible" batteries but for the life of me I cannot track down (online at least) a local stockist of the real deal. Given the knock offs are about $15-$20 locally versus the real one being USD$48 at B&H, I'm tempted to go for two knock-offs. My only spare for the K-5 for the 6 years I used it was a knock off and gave me no trouble, but I figure it's perhaps time to re-assess.

Thoughts?

09-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #14018
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I spoke a moment too soon. Yesterday there were a few tuis hanging out in the kowhai outside our family room window. I usually prefer sun to get the colours strong, but the light on this occasion was a lot more diffuse and that seems to be the trick with capturing the iridescence. I was also pleased that most of my shots were pin sharp. I was using the DA 55-300 ED at f/11 on the KP.
That is a really nice image

What are the views here on third party batteries?
I use some third party batteries for the K-3 and the Q. They seem to be ok. Perhaps last a little bit less than the original Pentax ones, but nothing you would worry about.
09-03-2017, 02:48 AM   #14019
Pentaxian

I spoke a moment too soon. Yesterday there were a few tuis hanging out in the kowhai outside our family room window......

What are the views here on third party batteries? .....
fantastic shot, look at those colours !

I've used knockoff batteries in the K-5/11s/K-01/K-1...
they held their own for maybe 5 years and starting to decline now...well worth the saving
09-03-2017, 03:17 AM   #14020
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shot of a very difficult bird to capture well.
09-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #14021
Veteran Member

I have 3rd party batteries for both cameras and have not noticed any drop off in performance compared to the originals. On my D5200, if I upgrade the firmware, apparently the update refuses to acknowledge 3rd party batteries. The Nikon charger would not charge one aftermarket battery, but charges another with no problems.

K50,, has anyone had issues with the date and time changing?. I'm not sure if this happens after a battery change or not. Will have to check next time.
09-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #14022
Veteran Member

In my experience, it'll only lose the date & time if the battery is left out of the camera for a decent length of time.
09-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #14023
Veteran Member

Usually I remove one battery and pop the 2nd straight in. Maybe this time I had left the 2nd battery out while the flattie recharged.
09-05-2017, 02:35 AM   #14024

Off Topic: 360 deg Cameras

Heads-up to anybody who's been considering the Ricoh Theta 360's. I had, but couldn't justify the expense. However the (as it turns out) rather excellent Samsung Gear 360 vers.1's are just about being given away currently. I ordered one and had a play last weekend, the image quality from 2x 15-megapixel sensors is impressive on stills, here's an example, exposure and stitching are pretty clean. Haven't had a chance to trial the video yet, but stills are good, bordering on excellent. I think people may be put off by the marketing and reviews around needing a Samsung phone to use these. I've shot using auto timer and processed on Windows PC with included free software without any issues.
09-05-2017, 02:51 AM   #14025
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Where are you purchasing from at 'give away prices'?