QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
That was Mark I think
Corrected, thanks.

10-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #14222
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Mark, what was your wife's final distance?. She did well, I'd be lucky to make the first 30 seconds.
She did 95.114km. Butch, her trainer did 179.712km in the 24 hour race.

I took 570 photos yesterday at the local cycle club's open championship day. All with the kit DA-L 18-50 lens. As GUB pointed out, standing close to the racing, there was no need for a long zoom lens. It was a dull overcast day.
Nice. I've been shooting a marathon today. Wet, overcast. Trying to make the best of it in Lightroom at the moment.
10-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #14223
Pentaxian

this old Super Tak 24 is quite a number
LV and focus peaking seems to be the go
10-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #14224
Veteran Member

I tend to forget about live view and peak focusing being there. In fact I rarely get away from Av and Tv, with TaV thrown occasionally. Hardly ever use the scene options, and never used the video function.

10-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #14225
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to forget about live view and peak focusing being there. In fact I rarely get away from Av and Tv, with TaV thrown occasionally. Hardly ever use the scene options, and never used the video function.
You won't forget they are there once you get some Manual focus lenses.
10-08-2017, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #14226
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a talk coming up at my camera club in a few days and I am going to try and explain Iso-invariance to them - quite a challenge to explain what you can gain from utilizing it. Basically if the situation calls for increased iso to achieve the shot you can leave it on base iso and pp it later, gaining dynamic range , protecting highlights and giving yourself more margin of error in constantly changing lighting (like a stage drama). I am still amazed at the detail that can be dragged up from a 5 stop underexposed image. The slight difference in colour here is because the K1 was on autoWB. Life gets oh just so simple when all you have to play with is aperture and shutter. In fact far simpler than having your camera on AV TaV Awa355. I need to know if these make sense!!
Attached Images

10-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #14227
Pentaxian

yep that makes sense, nice layout.
I can't see any advantage at the peep level

Last edited by Transit; 10-08-2017 at 04:05 AM.
10-08-2017, 02:14 AM   #14228
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
yep that makes sense, nice layout.
I can see any advantage at the peep level
Yeah-- I need to make it clear to people- it is not about getting less noise it is about the gains I listed. The imagery is about showing there isn't more noise like with a non Iso invariant camera. That is something I always forget to make clear. And you are right - it should be peeping shouldn't it!!
10-08-2017, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #14229
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The gas station is a great example of it at work. compare the detail shots.
Iso invariance - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
So the moral of the story is if you are using higher Iso then the option is there to underexpose (only by lowering the Iso) to make sure you don't accidentally fry the highlights.
10-08-2017, 04:10 AM   #14230
Pentaxian

wow pretty big gains there...your Watt fountain shot is amazing
10-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #14231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
You won't forget they are there once you get some Manual focus lenses.
This is a cut and paste from another thread. It explains focus peaking quite well to me.

" I first discovered focus peaking when I purchased my K-01, and I find it an invaluable tool. If you always use a DSLR and always use the optical viewfinder when taking pictures then you probably won't need focus peaking. But, if you use live view on your DSLR, or have a mirrorless camera such as the K-01 or any of the Q series, then focus peaking is very useful indeed. Basically it makes it very easy to manually adjust your lens to ensure that the exact part of the subject that you wish to be in focus, is in focus. The camera screen shows a white highlighted fringe around portions of the subject that are focussed, and turning the focus ring on your lens moves the effect around the subject giving you a live visual indication of the depth of focus. It's a really useful, accurate tool, and one that I use a great deal. It's especially handy for me on the K-01 when mounting older manual lenses. Using them becomes a breeze. I see that Steve doesn't get on well with it, but everyone has their own styles and preferences, and for me, with my lenses, it works brilliantly. "

Read more at: What is focus peaking? - PentaxForums.com
10-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #14232
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a cut and paste from another thread. It explains focus peaking quite well to me.

" I first discovered focus peaking when I purchased my K-01, and I find it an invaluable tool. If you always use a DSLR and always use the optical viewfinder when taking pictures then you probably won't need focus peaking. But, if you use live view on your DSLR, or have a mirrorless camera such as the K-01 or any of the Q series, then focus peaking is very useful indeed. Basically it makes it very easy to manually adjust your lens to ensure that the exact part of the subject that you wish to be in focus, is in focus. The camera screen shows a white highlighted fringe around portions of the subject that are focussed, and turning the focus ring on your lens moves the effect around the subject giving you a live visual indication of the depth of focus. It's a really useful, accurate tool, and one that I use a great deal. It's especially handy for me on the K-01 when mounting older manual lenses. Using them becomes a breeze. I see that Steve doesn't get on well with it, but everyone has their own styles and preferences, and for me, with my lenses, it works brilliantly. "

Read more at: What is focus peaking? - PentaxForums.com
Yeah a good summary. There are some of us that have taken it a step further by using a lcd viewfinder attachment. My K01, Q and K1 have one attached almost all the time. I find it far superior to the optical viewfinder in the K1. One caveat with the peaking is you need to focus "within" the grainy area not just at it.
10-08-2017, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #14233
Pentaxian

and a software change could give the 'peaking' more obvious colours

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2017 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have a talk coming up at my camera club in a few days and I am going to try and explain Iso-invariance to them -...
I think I get a second trial visit
I could ask helpful questions like is Pentax the most capable camera
10-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #14234
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
and a software change could give the 'peaking' more obvious colours

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2017 at 03:10 PM ----------

I think I get a second trial visit
I could ask helpful questions like is Pentax the most capable camera
Becha you would be as quiet as a mouse!
10-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #14235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I played with focus peaking once with a manual focus lens (my Dad's old 50mm with the Kepcor 2X attached) but found the edging to be a little too fine to really appreciate what was in focus and what was not. I suspect it has a lot to do with the subject as well as shooting parameters. A small aperture shot of grass must end up with a LOT of in focus edges making it difficult to see outlined versus non-outlined on the relatively low-res screen. From memory, that was the sort of shot I was going for at the time (not quite that extreme, but a busy frame with high DOF).