Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #14251
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are track bikes direct driven? Does the crank push his leg over top dead centre?

10-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #14252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I've enabled the K-3 for first shot AF priority, and then burst speed priority after that.
It has a tracking mode also, whereby the first press of the AF locks on using the centre point, and then the AF will move to track that point within either the first square of AF points around it, or across all the available AF points.
That side of things works super well...
Interesting. The KP has a mode like this but the PF review basically said don't bother. I may have to have a play.

---------- Post added 10-11-2017 at 06:08 PM ----------

I'll be heading up to Napier next month for a few days R&R. Anyone have any interesting suggestions for attractions (as in, "Ooh, look at that!" rather than activities) between Masterton & Hastings? I've driven the route a few times before and don't recall much of note and a glance at maps doesn't make anything jump out at me.

There's Mt. Bruce, but I don't want to spend that much time out from the journey (I have been before, many years ago). I know there's a preserved railway station and a modern viaduct at Ormondville (I'm reasonably keen on train stuff) but it doesn't strike me as terribly exciting, though easy to get to.
10-11-2017, 02:13 AM   #14253
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

[/COLOR]I'll be heading up to Napier next month for a few days R&R. Anyone have any interesting suggestions for attractions (as in, "Ooh, look at that!" rather than activities) between Masterton & Hastings? I've driven the route a few times before and don't recall much of note and a glance at maps doesn't make anything jump out at me.
If you like train stuff, there's this: CWMGLYN HOME PAGE, near Mount Bruce.
For a little quaint town, there's Ongaonga, off SH50
10-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #14254
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Good work, especially on the second. And I can't even imagine the power to get a bike going with one leg.
I rode with that fellow around Taupo once. He's bloody fast, one leg and all!
It's not hard to pedal with only one leg but it's super hard doing it for any length of time!

10-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #14255
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Are track bikes direct driven? Does the crank push his leg over top dead centre?
Yes, fixed gear, no brakes.
10-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #14256
Veteran Member

Went to the velodrome last night, The camera just would not lock focus until the rider/s had gone past. The red indicator's were jumping all over the place. I tried 11, 5, single. A couple of my better results were using AF-S and panning. Manual focus wasn't getting them either. All this would be my skills (very few) plus not the best lens for the situation. The stadium lights were not all on so that may not have helped.

1/125 seems to be the ideal for getting the outer halves of the spokes blurred. Here are a couple. They were racing what seemed to be individual sprints from a flying start. When the bell rings and they kick into the business, man they hit speed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-11-2017, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #14257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Good work, especially on the second. And I can't even imagine the power to get a bike going with one leg.
I rode my pushbike to Massey with one leg for a while.
the other one in full length plaster...was a bit tedious

10-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #14258
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Went to the velodrome last night, The camera just would not lock focus until the rider/s had gone past. The red indicator's were jumping all over the place. I tried 11, 5, single. A couple of my better results were using AF-S and panning. Manual focus wasn't getting them either. All this would be my skills (very few) plus not the best lens for the situation. The stadium lights were not all on so that may not have helped.

1/125 seems to be the ideal for getting the outer halves of the spokes blurred. Here are a couple. They were racing what seemed to be individual sprints from a flying start. When the bell rings and they kick into the business, man they hit speed.
Good shots. Have you ever checked out the DoF calculator?. Online Depth of Field Calculator Dial in your camera,18mm, aperture and the distance from your subject- and you will find you have absolutely meters of DoF to play with. Given the archaic basis that the Circle of confusion is based on it is reasonable to halve the result. Can you see that it probably would pay to turn off AF and manual focus one of the lines on the track - that way your camera will stop mucking about. I think a prime old manual 24mm or 28mm would serve you well here.
10-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #14259
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Awa I think from you extended exif your Shake Reduction is on (0 7 30 36) -- is that the case? Not sure that is good for a panning shot. Don't do many of them myself - what do others say?
10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #14260
Veteran Member

Hey Awa I think from you extended exif your Shake Reduction is on (0 7 30 36) -- is that the case? Not sure that is good for a panning shot. Don't do many of them myself - what do others say?
My problem with that GUB, is later I cannot tell which photos I had SR on and which had SR off. I am going to the Hamilton zoo and arbortorium today. As the subjects will be mostly stationary, I'll leave it on. Next time I'm out chasing moving subjects I will switch sr off for the entire day. The local cycle club have a big hill climb event on Sunday. If the lawns are mowed by then, I will head out there.
10-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #14261
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found it in the "maker note" whatever that is!! "Shake reduction 0 7 30 36" If it was off I think it would just say shake reduction off. It is possible in panning shots that SR may decide to stabilise the background instead of the rider. I have had it happen in a picture of a waterfall where it tried to stop the water so the land "jumped" accordingly!. Don't get me wrong - SR is fantastic but like everything it will have unexpected tricks. At the end of the day 18mm at 1/250sec is a pretty stable shot that shouldn't need SR.
10-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #14262
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think the mechanical stabilisation has any image content analysis component, so it just reacts to physical movement of the body. That makes it pretty poor at handling pans, as it will try to correct this movement, especially at the start and end of the pan when it detects a big movement.

In video mode, it's now the other way around (thanks Pentax ) and that can be confused by it's take on the visual image. I've seen videos of ceiling fans that totally confuse the video stabilisation system, where mechanical stabilisation would not have cared.
10-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #14263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I rode my pushbike to Massey with one leg for a while.
the other one in full length plaster...was a bit tedious
I bet getting going at the lights was fun...

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 09:17 PM ----------

I found it in the "maker note" whatever that is!! "Shake reduction 0 7 30 36" If it was off I think it would just say shake reduction off. It is possible in panning shots that SR may decide to stabilise the background instead of the rider. I have had it happen in a picture of a waterfall where it tried to stop the water so the land "jumped" accordingly!. Don't get me wrong - SR is fantastic but like everything it will have unexpected tricks. At the end of the day 18mm at 1/250sec is a pretty stable shot that shouldn't need SR.
Yes, with the K-5IIs and 60-250mm, I found when shooting birds in flight that a similar jumping occurred. Turned SR off, and all was well.
10-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #14264
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think the mechanical stabilisation has any image content analysis component, so it just reacts to physical movement of the body.
Correct.

That makes it pretty poor at handling pans, as it will try to correct this movement, especially at the start and end of the pan when it detects a big movement.
The K-1 recognises panning and stabilises accordingly.

Other models may perform this trick as well, I just happen to know it about the K-1.
10-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #14265
Veteran Member

Has anyone here got a use for a Pentax 30n and /or a Pentax AF260sa flash unit?.

Like an idiot,,, I won an auction I didn't really want to. You can have the camera body and flash unit, I'm not asking anything for either. Condition 'supposed' to be good but hasn't been used for several years.

If no takers by Monday, I'll ask the seller to just send the two lenses and ditch the body and flash. There are manuals for both camera and flash unit.
« GR x GIN Social | - »