Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #14416
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
@Transit: the Good Mrs Micro and myself are arriving in NZ for a six-week holiday at the beginning of February; three weeks each on North and South islands. The weather will be very different to the UK in February! I'm looking to give the K-3II and pixel shift a good work-out.
Nice!
give us a buzz if you are near Wanganui I can show you a good time :-)

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2017 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I could put all that back together and still have half those screws left over.
yeah they do seem to overdo the screwing

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2017 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I did that with an old british car engine I was fixing a long time ago. There were a few large bolts left over at the end.....never did work out where they were meant to go
Standard English engineering to have a few spares

11-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #14417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New Plymouth and Whanganui are on the projected flight path, so I might take you up on that!

Yeh, good old British engineering: I always seemed to have a spare spark plug hanging around; never could figure out where it went...
11-15-2017, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #14418
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Plymouth and Whanganui are on the projected flight path, so I might take you up on that!

Yeh, good old British engineering: I always seemed to have a spare spark plug hanging around; never could figure out where it went...
Gub Home - Transit all at sea!!
Attached Images

11-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #14419
Pentaxian

Have weather resistant camera can swim

11-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #14420
Veteran Member

I will need my weather resistant camera tomorrow. The local sailing club is hosting a Hartley 16' regatta this weekend and I have been asked to go out with the safety boat and click away. I saw one Hartley come thru' town today. All vanished and looking splendid. Should look good if the sun is out and with Mt Pirongia as a backdrop.
11-17-2017, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #14421
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I went out and took some photos this evening, with the K3, LX and 67. The weather was overcast and not the best for these images, but this was the last chance - the Hydro Grand Hotel is gone tomorrow, having graced the Timaru skyline for just over 100 years. The film images will have to wait a while, until I get them developed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #14422

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I went out and took some photos this evening, with the K3, LX and 67. The weather was overcast and not the best for these images, but this was the last chance - the Hydro Grand Hotel is gone tomorrow, having graced the Timaru skyline for just over 100 years. The film images will have to wait a while, until I get them developed.
Sad but inevitable I guess. Stayed there with a mate mid '80s when we took our bikes and went to watch bike racing at The Levels. Seem to recall it was looking pretty jaded then, but glad we went there now.

11-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #14423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential new toy for some: Pentax Cameras Could Soon Offer Built-in Star Tracking for Astrophotography - DIY Photography
11-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #14424
Pentaxian

potential ?
11-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #14425
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The medium format film adventure continues. I finally finished the roll of 220 that was loading into the 67 when it arrived - taking photos of the Hydro Grand before it was demolished. It turns out it was Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus. I has no idea what the film was when the 67 arrived, including the ISO. So I had to guess - I decided 200 was a good average setting, between 100 and 400 ISO. I am going to be interested to see how the exposures turn out.

I have just loaded my first roll - Kodak Portra 400/120 which Hayden (Kiwi110Auto) at Southern Camera's was kind enough to sell to me.

Now I know what I have in the camera, I can set it up accurately for exposure.

At $5 a shutter click (film plus processing cost), I have been more selective about what images I have made so far.

It has been fun, and I have not found the 67 too hard to use.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 11-18-2017 at 10:12 PM.
11-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #14426
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
potential ?
It is true that K-1 and O-GPS1 owners can already play with a very similar toy, but the article talks about a slightly different implementation.

The sensor shift approach is the same but instead of using GPS coordinates and an electronic compass, the correct sensor movement is obtained via image analysis. This could potentially improve reliability of astrotracing. I'm sceptical, though, that we'll see an implementation of this patent anytime soon.
11-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #14427
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

@Transit: the Good Mrs Micro and myself are arriving in NZ for a six-week holiday at the beginning of February; three weeks each on North and South islands. The weather will be very different to the UK in February! I'm looking to give the K-3II and pixel shift a good work-out.
If you are around Timaru area in the South Island let me know via PM here, and we will see if we can meet up. I would be happy to point you in the right direction regarding some good photography spots.

Ross
11-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #14428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Ross, Gub, Transit, I will certainly be in touch! Really looking forward to this trip.
11-19-2017, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #14429
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Ross, Gub, Transit, I will certainly be in touch! Really looking forward to this trip.
Here's a photo taken on the Tongariro Crossing, the walk I talked about.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
11-19-2017, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #14430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Mark - hehe, and there was I, thinking that the Tongariro Crossing was across Lake Taupo! A lot to learn, but fortunately time enough to do it. Hopefully. Your picture reminds me a little of the Painted Desert in Arizona.

Not having been much of a videographer in the past, I've started practicing video with my K-3II as I'll want lots of footage to edit to my heart's content when I get home after the trip. So, I'm currently working with muted mode, manual exposure on 30p (1/60 second shutter speed), manual focus - good thing that the 20-40 has a short throw, SR off (stabilising after the event with VirtualDub plus the deshaker plugin) and then processing in Shotcut.
« GR x GIN Social | - »