Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #14506
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Strictly as a hobby/for my own business. I definitely don't work on other peoples cameras.

You could possibly get someone like C W Services Limited to consider it if they aren't too busy - for a decent camera technician it's not super difficult.

For the K50 it's not great shakes at Infrared, you can get there with long exposures or high ISO's, but for freezing movement it's pretty insensitive to that spectrum (I had a k50 till early this year - they have a good hot mirror, which isn't what you want for IR). The K50 is actually a pretty decent camera so it seems like a risky proposition to convert - In fact Pentax cameras in general are tricky, I would have converted my K10 but for the fact I'd have to desolder several boards.

You'd be better looking at an older camera in the 6-10mp range - Many of the very early ones like the canon300d have pretty poor hot mirrors, the Nikon D70 and Sigma cameras have a reputations for being easy to convert, On cameras without live view you want the IR filter on the sensor instead of the lens, With live view it's less important (it's practically impossible to focus an slr with an IR filter on the front when using the optical viewfinder).

Honestly it's worth just keeping an eye on TM for already converted cameras - they tend to be pretty cheap. I picked up a full spectrum Panny GX1 for about $300 last year. Paying for a conversion from a reliable supplier is liable to be pretty expensive, getting it done cheaply apparently isn't really worth it as the QC is often miles off. (I've only ever brought one which I suspect was a bitzer put together by a camera tech from spare parts as the casing is two tone, my others I've just converted myself)

If you want to try doing a conversion yourself then look at older cheap bulkier P&S cameras to start with, ideally ones with fixed lenses, and expect to kill one or two of them. They're less fiddly to put back together than DSLR's typically as they tend to just be a couple of boards with a few ribbon cables and take far less calibration than larger sensors (external viewfinders are also very useful). I tend to buy $5 cameras from op-shops for experimental purposes.
Thanks for the advice. I'll watch out for a converted camera, I think, as I suspect that's the only way I'm going to get those sharp arty kind of images I've seen. Plus I'm not very handy so don't think any poor cameras should be put in my hands for taking apart and putting back together

12-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #14507
Veteran Member

Strictly as a hobby/for my own business. I definitely don't work on other peoples cameras.

You could possibly get someone like C W Services Limited to consider it if they aren't too busy - for a decent camera technician it's not super difficult.

One of the few places that sells the conversion kits will not supply parts to other service techs or individuals anymore, We tried earlier in the year with Greg @ CW to get a camera converted but Kolari Vision did not want to supply the parts, and LifePixel were not super supportive either.
12-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #14508
Veteran Member

On more modern cameras (ie, ones with live view of some persuasion) there's the option of placing clear glass to replace the hot mirror, I've used microscope glass for this, you need to recalibrate the focus, but it gives a lot more options in terms of front filters.

I can see why those two companies would prefer not to be doing custom work for people who might compete with them, and probably won't cut down one off filters, you can still go through other sources for the raw filter material, but that does mean cutting it down to size for yourself.
12-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #14509

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
It is going to be a hard beasty to luv!!. My Soligor 21mm 3.8 M42 (ie much older) blows it away in anything but these closeups. It is great how you do get a reasonable insight into a lens from the lens reviews. They were saying the closeup bokeh effect was its only redeeming factor. It handles highlights/flare quite well.
Yes, crazy bokeh and a fun lens to have.

12-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #14510
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone is looking for a cheap 35-70mm lens, see this auction. I am keen on the data back (on the SFX body) if anyone is willing to share? (I have 2x 35-70mm lenses already)
PENTAX SFX CAMERA. | Trade Me
12-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #14511
Veteran Member

Do Minolta lenses fit onto a Pentax K mount?. I thought I had read they shared the same mount.

Last edited by awa355; 12-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.
12-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #14512
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice looking Sigma Mini wide 28mm f2.8 macro on TM at the moment.

I have no connection with the seller, but thought some of you might be interested in the lens

12-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #14513
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Do Minolta lenses fit onto a Pentax K mount?. I thought I had read they shared the same mount.
From a quick look at flange focal lengths;

Minolta A-mount is 44.50 mm

Pentax K-mount is 45.46 mm

even if they actually fitted, the focus wold be out by quite a bit, and I have a suspicion they wouldn't fit (haven't tried it, but I've used both, never occrred to me to try, and I've never heard of it as compatible)

You may be able to get an adapter, though I haven't heard of that either.
12-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #14514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a quick look at flange focal lengths;

Minolta A-mount is 44.50 mm

Pentax K-mount is 45.46 mm

even if they actually fitted, the focus wold be out by quite a bit, and I have a suspicion they wouldn't fit (haven't tried it, but I've used both, never occrred to me to try, and I've never heard of it as compatible)

You may be able to get an adapter, though I haven't heard of that either.
Minolta MD Lens to PENTAX Mount Adapter Infinity Focus | eBay
12-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #14515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Definitely not the same mount, flange distances are in the scheme of things significantly different, plus all of the guides, aperture levers are different. There are the odd adapter out there that will allow use on a K body, but in reality many do not work that brilliantly and i am sceptical that many who claim infinity focus ability actually work properly, and you lose light gathering as they have extra glass in them too
12-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #14516
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A bit damp down your way Ross?

Timaru has highest rainfall across New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz
12-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #14517
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
A bit damp down your way Ross?
Indeed it is - very heavy this morning around 7am with lots of puddles of water around the section. We are on top of a hill, I shudder to think what it was like in the gullies.

At lunch time when I was driving home it was raining so hard that it was bouncing off the road to about knee height.

It has been hot and dry for nearly a month, so we are noticing the rain today
12-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #14518
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a few drops this way so far. We could do with some rain but I'm not complaining about the first "real" summer in a few years!
12-13-2017, 02:36 AM   #14519
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Just a few drops this way so far. We could do with some rain but I'm not complaining about the first "real" summer in a few years!
I’m camping mid Jan, so don’t mind if it dumps all it’s water now

Has been proper nice for the last month though 👍🏻
12-13-2017, 03:24 AM   #14520
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I’m camping mid Jan, so don’t mind if it dumps all it’s water now

Has been proper nice for the last month though 👍🏻
Early Jan here! Where are you camping? We're heading for the Hawkes Bay.
« GR x GIN Social | - »