Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #14596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
A cute Robin today to finish the year on. Rikenon 105mm f5.6 1/60 ISO1600 plus pushing another 2 to 3 stops in post. Ie getting on for Iso12000 !! The Robin as per usual was in dark forest. Long live the K1
Simply superb! I'm trying to learn the māori names of as many birds as possible and had to look this one up – toutouwai – but I love the scientific name – petroica longpipes!

And for those of you who do what I do, today's the day...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 

Last edited by zkarj; 12-31-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added macron
12-31-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #14597
Veteran Member

Yesterday I posted a photo to a bird photography FB page. A lot of people have commented on it and one suggested I should watermark my photos so no-one could take the image. If it is posted at 900 x 580 I assume it is too small for anyone to do anything with it anyway.

Would you bother? No, the images are not taken with the K50,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5200  Photo 

Last edited by awa355; 01-03-2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: even I was confused.
12-31-2017, 08:45 PM   #14598
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have checked now and then and no one seems to ever steal my shots! Starting to get an inferiority complex!
12-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #14599
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I echo these sentiments - that is a very nice shot GUB, thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year for all who visit here

01-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #14600
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Awa355, I don’t bother with watermarks as they don’t stop people simply cloning them out if they really want to.

Google shows how easy it is for software to remove watermarks from photos - The Verge

If you’re uncertain, don’t share in the first place. Hope that doesn’t read as rude.

Not sure what your last comment was in reference too, but it’s the quality of the final image that determines its worth to me, not the camera it was taken on at all.

I like these shots. Great colours 🙂👍🏻
01-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #14601
Veteran Member

Only time I've definitely had someone steal my images was when I lent a camera to a girl while travelling and her boyfriend copied the card and used my images to grab a couple of advertising gigs - I spoke to the companies involved, showed them the images on the camera (K10d, well below the quality of a k50) and they agreed to simply not pay him. That way he ripped himself off, and I didn't have my name associated with badly photo-shopped images - to the best of my knowledge, they never paid him, and are still using the images for advertising - no skin off my nose, plenty off his.

I never use watermarks, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't hurt even if someone does borrow one of my images, they might make a few bucks, but I have a backstory, and they don't - they'll come a cropper eventually.

Plus, if someone copies me and does a better job of it than me, then I don't really have anybody to complain to.

Plus I just think that watermarks are plain ugly.
01-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #14602
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Happy new year, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Photowarehouse Tax Free service, I did not know they offered that service.
Interesting, but I don't quite see the allure of the service, unless NZ pricing somehow beats overseas pricing.

You'd still have to pay GST in case you bring the camera back from your travels, no?

In many countries, you can get the GST you paid back at the airport by demonstrating that you live in NZ (the passport will do the job). So you'd just buy the camera effectively without GST overseas and then have the same situation as with the Photowarehouse service, i.e., the need to pay NZ GST in case you import the camera to NZ.

01-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #14603
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You'd still have to pay GST in case you bring the camera back from your travels, no?
I think you would be covered by the $700 GST free allowance, so that was the thought for me.
01-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #14604
Veteran Member

I had a play with the 200mm f4 M prime at Raglan today. For most shots, I left the Tv at 4/500 & f8 . It was a dull overcast day and I really didn't have a clue where to set the exposure.

zkarj,,, If you want this lens, pm me. I find a zoom function with AF and auto exposure far more convenient. Manual primes are interesting, but not my first choice. .

The surfers were waiting to jump into the surf between bloody big waves crashing onto the rocks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by awa355; 01-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.
01-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #14605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Yesterday I posted a photo to a bird photography FB page. A lot of people have commented on it and one suggested I should watermark my photos so no-one could take the image. If it is posted at 900 x 580 I assume it is too small for anyone to do anything with it anyway.

Would you bother? No, not with the K50,
I agree with all of this...
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Awa355, I don’t bother with watermarks as they don’t stop people simply cloning them out if they really want to.

Google shows how easy it is for software to remove watermarks from photos - The Verge

If you’re uncertain, don’t share in the first place. Hope that doesn’t read as rude.

Not sure what your last comment was in reference too, but it’s the quality of the final image that determines its worth to me, not the camera it was taken on at all.

I like these shots. Great colours ������
Yes, especially including that last comment. Beaut shots!

I've had one shot stolen that I am aware of. It was simply posted on some site like (but a lot less popular than) Flickr and when I emailed the address given for reporting abuse, I got no reply at all. I do watermark my photos that go on Flickr, but it is done in a quite subtle way. There is simply a thin translucent banner across the bottom with a Creative Commons license graphic and my website. The theory I subscribe to here is that nothing I can do will stop someone who wants to steal, but I may as well make it easy for an honest person to ask permission. Also, putting something on the shot creates some work to be done for the thief, so you do stop those who don't know more than copy and paste. (See Flickr link in sig if you want to check out my banners.)

My brother stopped posting his photos online when someone who hangs out in the same forum he does started claiming some of his pictures as their own and even argued the point with him in said forums, where he is a respected member.

I have been approached twice to purchase a photo. One time I was offered and paid a couple hundred dollars but as far as I know, the product never saw the light of day. The other time I was asked my price and after consulting with my brother, who is a graphic designer, asked what he thought was a very reasonable price and... never heard back from them either. I'm a wee bit gutted about the latter one, as it was a very well known company and one of my favourite shots. I guess they thought that they'd be getting a bargain by going to an amateur. That just points back at Rich's comment for me: "...it’s the quality of the final image that determines its worth to me."

I had a play with the 200mm f4 M prime at Raglan today. For most shots, I left the Tv at 4/500 & f8 . It was a dull overcast day and I really didn't have a clue where to set the exposure.

zkarj,,, If you want this lens, pm me. I find a zoom function with AF and auto exposure far more convenient. Manual primes are interesting, but not my first choice. .
Will do.
01-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #14606
Veteran Member

I had a lady offering to buy three images of Tui's in the cherry tree blossom's (where else?) These were for her poor dying mother I sent her the full files, the money never showed up.

Had another three requests for a sons and daughter's pony club/cycling pics. Sent the files, after hours spent sifting through old files, and not so much as an acknowledgement of the photos being received much less a thank you. The pony club family weren't short of a bob, three kids riding and two spare ponies.
01-02-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #14607
Pentaxian

wow check out this sucker !!! CM50-200B
new years cavitation anyone ?
01-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #14608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
wow check out this sucker !!! CM50-200B
new years cavitation anyone ?
I see you bolt the lens onto this one
01-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #14609
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I see you bolt the lens onto this one
Weld maybe...
01-03-2018, 01:33 AM   #14610
Pentaxian

I had a play with the 200mm f4 M prime ....
It's a good lens, one from this arvo of the neigbours slips