Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #14716
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
It would be perfect for that 250-600mm Ross.. I will have my Telescope all ready to go
I reckon, but sadly I don't expect it to be fixed by then. Greg at CW Services has pulled the 250-600mm to bits, and we know the part we need to fix it now, or if we can't find that part, 3D print it - but it is not a 5 minute exercise - I am expecting it will take a few months to get it all organised and back together.

It is really doable, just will take a bit more time

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 01-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.
01-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #14717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
the P30 has a rather good focussing screen for those into resizing for APS-C cam
Tell me more Sensei, you have me intrigued.
01-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #14718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I reckon, but sadly I don't expect it to be fixed by then. Greg at CW Services has pulled the 250-600mm to bits, and we know the part we need to fix it now, or if we can't find that part, 3D print it - but it is not a 5 minute exercise - I am expecting it will take a few months to get it all organised and back together.

It is really doable, just will take a bit more time
Dang, that is a major shame. The joys of modern technology, the 3D printer is a great thing
01-18-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #14719
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Tell me more Sensei, you have me intrigued.
Here it is Grasshopper Size of K100D focus screeen question

had fun winding them up with the sander

Last edited by Transit; 01-18-2018 at 04:02 PM.
01-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #14720
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang, that is a major shame. The joys of modern technology, the 3D printer is a great thing
I am just happy I am going to be able to fully fix it one way of another, and that then I will have gained a superb lens at a very reasonable price.

Much as I would love to have it back now, I am prepared to be patient
01-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #14721
Pentaxian

.... The joys of modern technology, the 3D printer is a great thing
God willing...
I just knocked the carb off the brushcutter, gunna try the epoxy then the kid next door with the 3D printer
01-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #14722
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

God willing...
I just knocked the carb off the brushcutter, gunna try the epoxy then the kid next door with the 3D printer
With the lens, the bit that is broken is just a plastic ring that is part of the aperture selection mechanism. It has a shoulder with the power-zoom contacts attached. The choices are - get the part directly from Japan if available, get another power-zoom with the same part and use that, 3-D print the part. We are trying the first 2 lines of attack first prior to 3D printing.

What I do know is that we have multiple ways of fixing the lens, which is all good.

01-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #14723
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here it is Grasshopper Size of K100D focus screeen question

had fun winding them up with the sander
Cheers. I think I might give that a miss. I think the 50mm will be a wide angle astroimager so will only be used at infinity focus.
01-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #14724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers. I think I might give that a miss. I think the 50mm will be a wide angle astroimager so will only be used at infinity focus.
Crazy thought... measuring the depth of field in light years.
01-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #14725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
With the lens, the bit that is broken is just a plastic ring that is part of the aperture selection mechanism. It has a shoulder with the power-zoom contacts attached. The choices are - get the part directly from Japan if available, get another power-zoom with the same part and use that, 3-D print the part. We are trying the first 2 lines of attack first prior to 3D printing.

What I do know is that we have multiple ways of fixing the lens, which is all good.
That is fantastic, Greg @ CW is a brilliant technician. If he can find a way to fix it he will. I am sure when it's ready it will be fantastic
01-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #14726
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That is fantastic, Greg @ CW is a brilliant technician. If he can find a way to fix it he will. I am sure when it's ready it will be fantastic
I agree with all 3 statements
01-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #14727
Veteran Member

Ross, I'm sorry that the big lens needs work. As I mentioned at the time, the chap who owned the lens, Phil Brown died last January. This week in the Te Awamutu library there is an exhibition of his work as a photographer. I am going up this morning to have a look.
Here is a link to the newspaper article from today's edition. I hope it will open, page three. He was a Pentax man right from the start. This might give you a bit of history behind the lens.

https://www.teawamutu.nz/waipa/archive/2018/2018-01-23.pdf

Last edited by awa355; 01-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.
01-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #14728
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Ross, I'm sorry that the big lens needs work. As I mentioned at the time, the chap who owned the lens, Phil Brown died last January. This week in the Te Awamutu library there is an exhibition of his work as a photographer. I am going up this morning to have a look.
Here is a link to the newspaper article from today's edition. I hope it will open, page three. He was a Pentax man right from the start. This might give you a bit of history behind the lens.
Thanks for the link, and yes it did open ok. Nice to read about Phil, and what he did.

With regard to the lens, no need to be sorry - I knew it had faults when I brought it, and what needs fixing is relatively minor. It is just a matter of sourcing or making the piece required. Once that is done it will be fully functioning and at a very reasonable price. So I am happy, and still very thankful that you took the time to check it for me before purchase, that gave me enough information to bid.

I have taken photos with it, and tested it - so I know what works and how good it is, I just decided to get it fixed so that then it is good for a long time to come.

Cheers

Ross
01-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #14729
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Total Lunar Eclipse: Another one of these coming up. Hasn't been one for a while. http://www.rasnz.org.nz/images/articleFiles/Eclipses/2018/180131LunarEclipse.png
Thanks for the info. Read about this on stuff, but typically they made no mention of the details.
01-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #14730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Thanks for the info. Read about this on stuff, but typically they made no mention of the details.
This is going to be a good one if the weather holds, totality will last around 75 minutes, so plenty of imaging opportunities, also being a new moon at the same time its very cool, so the penumbral eclipse before and after totality will be really bright. Will be a long night though, with penumbral beginning at 11:51 here in Dunedin, and the sun will be well on the way up at 5am when penumbral is just about over.