Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #14866
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to do a simple experiment. I put my "consumer" grade 18-135 lens on the KP, set it to 18mm, f/3.5, ISO100, and took a shot from my back deck. Then I tried to get as close to that frame as I could with my iPhone 8.

I then took both shots straight out of the cameras, the KP via LR where I set ALL of the sliders to zero. I downsized the 24 megapixel KP shot to the same width (4032 pixels) as the 12 megapixel iPhone shot, before cropping both to half that width and a 16:9 aspect ratio, centred on the warehouse. The KP shot was then exported as a JPEG at quality 90.

The KP shot doesn't look great, but I think it knocks the socks off the iPhone one. Look at the grass on the hills for the starkest difference. The roof in the foreground also looks "dirty" in the iPhone shot. The only place the iPhone shot wins is in overall colour, but then it is a processed image. I could easily better the colour and light from the KP image with a few quick tweaks in LR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #14867
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Big thing I notice is you don’t get a lot of leeway in cellphone/GoPro type photos. You can’t push them much in post.

That makes getting the exposure right in camera is quite crucial. Same goes for Pentax video for that matter.

On the flip side, a cellphone will focus on people’s faces when detected. Pentax does this too, but you have to enable it in live view.
03-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #14868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
ya gotta be happy with that
Thanks! - per below, this was cheating, but yeah. pretty happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Great pic! I shot a cute little Silvereye using the PLM55-300 at Bruce Bay today, but I can’t post it until I get back to my PC...
Thanks! Look forward to the Silvereye - one of my favourites.

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I worked out the business of getting images off my KP directly onto my phone, from where I can easily post online. I don't think I'll do it very often, but it's nifty to have the capability. It's not an instant process because you have to develop any RAW image into JPEG (I shoot RAW only), then you have to turn the wifi on (goodbye battery life), and then wait an age for it to transmit and THEN you can save it out of the app and actually do stuff with it, although technically you can post directly to social media from in-app. Worth it for THAT shot to be "first" but not for general photos, and especially if you're going to be home soon anyway.

That's a beaut pic. I would ask how you got so close, but I know with the old Kereru sometimes a 50mm will do it. They're cocky buggers! There was one feeding on Kowhai at Mum's place (in suburban Waikanae) that I got inside my minimum focus distance on the DA 55-300. There I was teaching my son how to carefully and artfully sneak up and always take the shot before trying to get closer. In the end, we gave up and went inside leaving him to his feast.

The thing about phone cameras is they call a 56mm equivalent lens "zoom" or, if they're really keen, "telephoto" and in my world, that's not even close to long enough. I'll take phone cameras seriously when their lenses get appreciably beyond 100mm equivalent. Even then, I'll be looking at a full-screen image on my 27" iMac and noting how inferior the sensors really are.
Thanks! Well you got me there - this pic was taken at the Otorohanga Kiwihouse... Being originally from up north, I also have close photos of Kereru that are drunk on Puriri berries that were swaying on the branch. So, drunk, and as you say, also cocky!
In terms of the phone connection to the cam, I used this quite a lot (Fuji) this trip - but you need a cam that supports in-camera development (and resizing) to make it quicker. It was very handy with people shots as well. Having a remote control that is live, with face detection on the camera makes being in family photos much better (doesn't necessarily make the resulting photo content better..).

Just a comment on the Fuji too. I did miss WR on the body for a couple of days. That probably stopped me from taking the cam out. But less than half the weight of a KP/18-135mm. Swings and roundabouts.

This was developed using Darktable, also. Trying new things.....

Chirp!
by Aaron, on Flickr

Last edited by Clarkey; 03-10-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Add photo
03-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #14869
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-S1 has the LEDs in the grip, which count down/flash faster on the 10s timer.

Works really well for group photos.

03-10-2018, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #14870

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extremely rare prototype SLR on TradeMe:

These come up once in a blue moon. Developed as part of a top secret espionage program by Asahi Pentax under contract to the Japanese military.
Diguised to look like an ordinary pair of woman's shoes, they concealed dual 35mm film carriers and allowed stereoscopic imaging. A steal at the price.
03-10-2018, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #14871
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
These come up once in a blue moon. Developed as part of a top secret espionage program by Asahi Pentax under contract to the Japanese military.
Diguised to look like an ordinary pair of woman's shoes, they concealed dual 35mm film carriers and allowed stereoscopic imaging. A steal at the price.
That is very funny, well done. Now......could I interest you in a slightly used but good condition bridge
03-10-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #14872
Veteran Member

Developed in conjunction with Gucci as the Sigma offering lacked sole

03-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #14873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Having a remote control that is live, with face detection on the camera makes being in family photos much better (doesn't necessarily make the resulting photo content better..).
Yeah, I've used that a couple of times on the KP – once for a family photo and once while taking my own passport photo.

That's a pretty scruffy looking fantail. Must be from the wrong side of the tracks.
03-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #14874

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Developed in conjunction with Gucci as the Sigma offering lacked sole
03-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #14875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
These come up once in a blue moon.
I just checked – coming up for 12 years since I sold my MZ-50 and it was nearly 7 years old when sold. I wonder if Tracey and Bill of Christchurch still have it.
03-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #14876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

YESSSSS! I’VE SEEN ONE IN THE WILD! Sorry for shouting, but it’s true. Not a kiwi unfortunately (those little buggers hide when they hear me coming) but another Pentax; a K20D around the neck of a young Chinese lady, at the Devil’s Punchbowl falls near Arthur’s Pass on the South Island. And shortly after that, an Olympus OM-1!
03-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #14877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Yeah, I've used that a couple of times on the KP – once for a family photo and once while taking my own passport photo.

That's a pretty scruffy looking fantail. Must be from the wrong side of the tracks.
Definitely scruffy! Think it was a young one. This was in the King country, and it was having a field day with insects.
03-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #14878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Definitely scruffy! Think it was a young one. This was in the King country, and it was having a field day with insects.
Ah, yes, the younger birds often look a little ruffled as their adult feathers develop.

I am reminded of a fantail I once met on the lawns of the treaty house at Waitangi way back in August '94. My wife and I were walking across the lawn when this little blighter appeared on the grass in front of us strutting like he was doing a powhiri, though, in fact, it was we who were bearing the gifts. It was explained to us later that he was waiting on our footsteps to disturb the bugs in the grass.
03-15-2018, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #14879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Farewell, NZ, we fly home to the UK today - but we’ll be back!
03-15-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #14880
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Farewell, NZ, we fly home to the UK today - but we’ll be back!
Safe travels!