Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #15151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Can I suggest you talk to Hayden (Kiwi110Auto) and see what he can do for you.
If Hayden can chime in or PM, I'd be interested to hear. I did take a look at the Southern Cameras website, but it has the K-70 body only listed as more expensive than what Photo Warehouse and Photo & Video International have with kit 18-50, but I'm not sure if that's just standard RRP, as there probably isn't a huge market for Pentax. (I'm assuming Photo Warehouse and Photo & Video International are authorised resellers.)

If it's possible to get $100 back on the lens, it actually looks like a better deal than the body only.

Looking at grey market sellers of Pentax in NZ like Expert Infotech, the pricing of different models looks pretty crazy. A K-70 with an 18-135 is only a few dollars dearer than a body only, but Photo Warehouse is a legitimate authorised dealer, their body only price is about the same as EI so there's no advantage going grey in NZ just for a body.
EI do have the KP actually cheaper than Aus, but they're a grey importer, whereas the Aussie vendors I think are authorised, at least over there.

I'm tending to lean towards buying from an authorised reseller, whether here or in Aussie, as I'd expect better warranty support.

---------- Post added 07-20-18 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
If you are after body only, i can do them for $1049 + postage
Thanks. That's looking more realistic. Much better than the price on your website. It's still a slight premium over AU, but a lot less than on your site, and more than competitive with any other NZ resellers.
I guess you don't want to under-sell products if people are prepared to pay more, but can be a bit flexible if you have to.

As a matter of interest, what can you do the Tamron SP AF 70-200MM F 2.8 for?

I'm having a bit of a chicken and egg dilemma over what to buy first, but I guess buying actual Pentax brand gear helps indicate there's a market for the brand still, and I'm at about the point where I'd consider a new body anyway.

If I had more money, I'd consider a Pentax 60-250mm F4 ED DA, but the price tag is probably a bit steep for the moment.

07-19-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #15152
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
If I had more money, I'd consider a Pentax 60-250mm F4 ED DA, but the price tag is probably a bit steep for the moment.
Clarkey was trying to sell his 60-250mm a bit earlier this year. I used that particular lens when I caught up with him in Toronto, and it is good - nice and sharp, nice colours, works well. If you are looking for a 60-250mm it would do no harm to ask.
07-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #15153
Veteran Member

I have had a few people tell me that I shouldn't bother with EI - for various reasons, but the gist seemed that customers weren't 100% delighted (I'm being a little bit careful with what i say here).

Having personally brought products from Southern Cameras, Lovely guy, and really reliable, he is my first choice of local suppliers to deal with.
07-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #15154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Clarkey was trying to sell his 60-250mm a bit earlier this year. I used that particular lens when I caught up with him in Toronto, and it is good - nice and sharp, nice colours, works well. If you are looking for a 60-250mm it would do no harm to ask.
Hi Ross, thanks for the shout out. Unfortunately, my 60-250mm is now over in Vancouver Island with a new Canadian owner (who is having fun).

Well recommended glass, as long as you don't need lightning AF.

07-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #15155
Pentaxian

I'm having a bit of a chicken and egg dilemma over what to buy first, but I guess buying actual Pentax brand gear helps indicate there's a market for the brand still, and I'm at about the point where I'd consider a new body anyway.
K-3 for 8 hundy on TM hardly used...
07-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #15156
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bar video, and usual lust for tracking AF, I'm seriously blown away by the K-3.
Massive step up from the K-30 I had previously, and provided options/grunt to address all the limitations/frustrations of the previous Pentax cameras.
Highly recommend, and with the higher burst rate/'reach' of APS-C, it would still go well as a companion to the FF K-1.
07-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #15157
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Highly recommend, and with the higher burst rate/'reach' of APS-C
I certainly enjoy using my K-3. I have had it 4 years now, dragged it all over the world and it is still going strong. Very rugged and reliable camera.

07-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #15158
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first diy wet sensor clean ever.....

Very impressed by.....
a) How quick it was....
b) How easy it was....
c) How much of a difference it made....!!!! Like factory new !

Dust be-gone...

Well used K10D from another Kiwi Pentaxian .... I have limped along for a while now but decided to bite the bullet and get a sensor clean kit....
Should have done it eons ago !
07-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #15159
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
My first diy wet sensor clean ever.....

Very impressed by.....
a) How quick it was....
b) How easy it was....
c) How much of a difference it made....!!!! Like factory new !

Dust be-gone...

Well used K10D from another Kiwi Pentaxian .... I have limped along for a while now but decided to bite the bullet and get a sensor clean kit....
Should have done it eons ago !
Yeah but be careful. I used a wet swab on my K30 and scratched it. It was after walking the old ghost road and I guess there was a speck of granite - bout the only thing to scratch glass. Of course Murphy was at work and it is at the top so in the sky - guess i could always do landscapes with the camera upside down!
07-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #15160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
K-3 for 8 hundy on TM hardly used...
I saw that and was tempted, but there are a few things about the K-70 that appeal to me. Wifi, Relatively low noise high ISO.

According to the official review on here, it has less noise than the K-3 II, so if I'm prepared to go without the rugged body of the KP, and a few other extras, it seems like IQ wise (for stills) the K-70 is up there with the best.

The K-50 has served me well to date, and my biggest gripe is that I'd like better high ISO noise performance, but it provided a noticeable improvement over my previous K-X.
07-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #15161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw that and was tempted, but there are a few things about the K-70 that appeal to me. Wifi, Relatively low noise high ISO.
K-70 @ISO 102400. No noise reduction either in camera or software.

07-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #15162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yeah but be careful. I used a wet swab on my K30 and scratched it. It was after walking the old ghost road and I guess there was a speck of granite - bout the only thing to scratch glass. Of course Murphy was at work and it is at the top so in the sky - guess i could always do landscapes with the camera upside down!
Yeah I did that to my K100D....and yes I did use it upside down now and then :-)

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2018 at 09:32 AM ----------

As a matter of interest, what can you do the Tamron SP AF 70-200MM F 2.8 for?

Yeah I was keen on that nice lens. Even offered low miles one on TM for 800...there's that number again :-)
The 70-200f4 coming looks very nice, save weight and size...will be too expensive for me really
07-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #15163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a reminder of the lunar eclipse next Saturday morning. Umbral phase starts at 5.14am and just after totality starts, the moon sets just after sunrise. Not the best for us but oh well. It will probably rain anyway.

http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/eclipses-2018

07-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #15164
Pentaxian

Hmm... I know these days you've got to be a true believer to stick with Pentax, but pentecostal? Maybe going a bit far?

As long as it hasn't been annointed with oil or dunked in holy water.

On Trademe:

Brand new Dejur Auto Tele Converter 2X for Pentecostal-K PK -3396
07-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #15165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Yeah I did that to my K100D....and yes I did use it upside down now and then :-)

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2018 at 09:32 AM ----------

Yeah I was keen on that nice lens. Even offered low miles one on TM for 800...there's that number again :-)
The 70-200f4 coming looks very nice, save weight and size...will be too expensive for me really
Hmm if one ever comes up on TM again, I'd take one at that price...(assuming I have money at the time!)

I see there's an A 70-200F4 on TM at the moment. Bad CA, but nice and sharp, and cheap.

It will be interesting to see what the D FA 70-200 F4 goes for. By rights it should be cheaper than the 2.8, but still won't be cheap.

The Tamron seems to be quite reasonably priced for its capabilities, and the wider aperture makes it interesting as a portrait lens. It's a bit longer than typical for a portrait lens, but I found with my Sigma 70-300 although not super sharp, it is actually quite good for candid portraits such as at events, so a faster, sharper tele zoom would be nice to have.

---------- Post added 07-22-18 at 02:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Just a reminder of the lunar eclipse next Saturday morning. Umbral phase starts at 5.14am and just after totality starts, the moon sets just after sunrise. Not the best for us but oh well. It will probably rain anyway.

http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/eclipses-2018

Typically too early for me, but if my daughter decides to invade our bed at some ungodly hour and proceed to poke anyone who is snoring like this morning it might be doable.