Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #15181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I might use it more if I could give it cues as to what I am aiming for.
You fully can do that by the way.

If you have one of the pro level (my term) devices (K-3 for example and I’d hope the K-1) you can set the AF to use the auto grid BUTT crucially you can use the centre focus point to first identify the object of interest.

I've had good results setting first frame release priority in burst mode to focus, and then burst speed release priority after that.
Expanded area AF is the bit that allows you to advise what to track, so it's auto but holds what you select right in the middle to start with.
You can also play with how much it holds where it is before trying to refocus. Birds briefly behind twigs would be an example of a medium to high hold, vs none for kids running in an open field.

As you have identified, that’s the missing piece that turns the auto grid into something useful. I have this working on a kids sports custom user setting on the K-3 and it’s not that bad.

Advanced AF is the single biggest improvement I’d like to see from a stills perspective. There have been incredible advances in this area in the last 5 years or so. The above settings allowed me to be somewhat happy with Pentax again in this regard, having missed what should have been relatively simple photo opportunities of kids coming towards me in running and cycling legs of triathlons etc.

(Obviously I’d like some video capabilities approaching say 2015 industry levels too, but let’s not get carried away...)

Last edited by richandfleur; 07-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.
07-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #15182
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Those little sods around the okay button are forever getting bumped.
Have you tried setting them to move the AF point?

If you don't use manual AF point selection, they should then essentially become ineffective.
07-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #15183
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you tried setting them to move the AF point?

If you don't use manual AF point selection, they should then essentially become ineffective.
Whhhhhaaaaaaaat!!!!
07-26-2018, 01:22 AM   #15184
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still can't work out how to do that!

07-26-2018, 03:37 AM   #15185

Apart from TradeMe, any good places to find old pentax lenses?

I tried a few camera shops but no luck.

Any point trying secondhand shops?
07-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #15186
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
My camera shelf...
07-26-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #15187

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
My camera shelf...
On my way 😃

07-26-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #15188
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still can't work out how to do that!
Custom Functions Tab #3
Item #20
"Change AF Point Button"

Set it to "Type 2" .

Enjoy!
07-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #15189
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

On my way ��
Shall I leave the door open tonight, or were you thinking tomorrow....

---------- Post added 26-07-18 at 11:21 PM ----------

For a more serious answer, and if I think where I have procured my lenses over the past 4 years - mainly TM, some here off PF Marketplace, eBay and very occasionally you will see some in the Secondhand list of the major online camera shops here in NZ. I have also purchased direct from B&H in the USA. Hayden at Southern Cameras offers good service for film and new cameras.

Keep an eye on the Film Camera section on TM with a search on Pentax. Sometimes very good old lenses are attached to old film camera bodies.

If you are looking for something particular can I suggest you post it here on the Kiwi thread, and then people will know to look out for you.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 07-26-2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: additional information
07-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #15190

Shall I leave the door open tonight, or were you thinking tomorrow....

---------- Post added 26-07-18 at 11:21 PM ----------

For a more serious answer, and if I think where I have procured my lenses over the past 4 years - mainly TM, some here off PF Marketplace, eBay and very occasionally you will see some in the Secondhand list of the major online camera shops here in NZ. I have also purchased direct from B&H in the USA. Hayden at Southern Cameras offers good service for film and new cameras.

Keep an eye on the Film Camera section on TM with a search on Pentax. Sometimes very good old lenses are attached to old film camera bodies.

If you are looking for something particular can I suggest you post it here on the Kiwi thread, and then people will know to look out for you.
Thanks a lot. Pretty much what I've been doing then.

I guess I'm a bit eager to get my hands on nice vintage lenses.
07-26-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #15191
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are mine - all mine - my precioususes!
07-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #15192
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I'm a bit eager to get my hands on nice vintage lenses.
TM is easily the best place to get the common ones like the Tak 55s 135s etc. At the moment the sellers seem to be asking a bit more and I suspect not getting it. I think NZ may have been bled a little dry old old cameras sitting in drawers - for instance there is not that many Zenits with Helios 58mms coming through these days.
I enjoy secondhand shops so it is a great excuse to visit them but I haven't bought much that way.
I think if I could start over with the capital I have frittered I would look at Ebay - particullarly Japanese sources and target the more special lenses. I will probably start selling duplicates to fund that path.
07-26-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #15193
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I will probably start selling duplicates to fund that path.
Buyer meet seller
07-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #15194

TM is easily the best place to get the common ones like the Tak 55s 135s etc. At the moment the sellers seem to be asking a bit more and I suspect not getting it. I think NZ may have been bled a little dry old old cameras sitting in drawers - for instance there is not that many Zenits with Helios 58mms coming through these days.
I enjoy secondhand shops so it is a great excuse to visit them but I haven't bought much that way.
I think if I could start over with the capital I have frittered I would look at Ebay - particullarly Japanese sources and target the more special lenses. I will probably start selling duplicates to fund that path.
Thanks. Yes I think eBay will be my go to for specific lenses I'm after and TM to grab a few good deals every now and then. Although I was surprised to see 15 watchers on the last auction I was following.

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 03:44 PM ----------

Buyer meet seller
Maybe.
Let me know when you're ready to sell your duplicates 😊
Although I'm off my motivation to move to Pentax was to downsize my lens collection. I guess that won't be happening 😂
07-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #15195
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me know when you're ready to sell your duplicates ��
That was GUB I was referring to with regard to selling - IF he is going to sell his duplicates...

---------- Post added 27-07-18 at 10:53 AM ----------

Although I'm off my motivation to move to Pentax was to downsize my lens collection. I guess that won't be happening 😂
That is what we all tell ourselves, intention is often quite different from fact, as evidenced by the size of lens collections