08-02-2018, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #15227
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
seems to be a breakout of Pentaxians in my TM hinterland
read the questions
Yes he is also the bloke who is selling the 40mm. Picked up a minty 19mm and Samyang 500mm mirror from him today. A genuine guy - his gear looks good- he is lightening off his collection. Had a K10 : is registered for here and is probably keeping an eye on us at the mo!!. If we aggravate him enough he might just have to comment!!
08-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #15228
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Interesting piece Ross.
Yes, there is a lot happening down here - really short of labour for a lot of the firms at the moment.

Timaru is also a great place to live
08-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #15229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes he is also the bloke who is selling the 40mm. Picked up a minty 19mm and Samyang 500mm mirror from him today. A genuine guy - his gear looks good- he is lightening off his collection. Had a K10 : is registered for here and is probably keeping an eye on us at the mo!!. If we aggravate him enough he might just have to comment!!
Noice !

08-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #15230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Yes, there is a lot happening down here - really short of labour for a lot of the firms at the moment.

Timaru is also a great place to live
Almost moved there a few years back. I have a cousin with kids a similar age to my daughter, and aunt and uncle there, and someone potentially had a software development job going.

The only problem was that Blenheim is also quite a good place to live. I've sometimes struggled to find enough work, but when it's going well, it's a great place, particularly if you like the outdoors.
08-03-2018, 03:38 AM   #15231
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
The only problem was that Blenheim is also quite a good place to live. I've sometimes struggled to find enough work, but when it's going well, it's a great place, particularly if you like the outdoors.
I would agree with Blenheim, I have worked there a few times on assignments - very nice
08-05-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #15232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Before that, I used a Pentax F 35-70. Not as good a zoom range as the Sigma, but dirt cheap, and remarkable image quality.
I'm glad you said that. After reading your comment (back in June) I've put the F 35-70 on the front of the KP more often as a walk-around lens. Today I went down to Pukerua Bay beach and, after deciding I wasn't there to capture birds, I put this lens on the front of the KP. I've just looked at the 20 shots I took and every single one is gorgeous out of the camera, save for some exposure needs and generally flat colour – two things I inevitably end up sorting out in post in any case.

As a side note, because macOS still doesn't support KP PEFs, I had done a quick test and found that while in-camera DNGs still have a space penalty, it's typically less than 3%. The vast majority of the time this is not a real problem for me, so I switched to recording DNG in camera. I didn't notice anything at all while shooting (I recall the K10D would be substantially slower in DNG recording) and now I can handily QuickLook (macOS built in file viewer) all the images.

Below are two of the images with zero processing other than scale and output to 90% quality JPEG through a batch processing program. The island looks a wee bit fuzzy as scaled, but the original is pin sharp.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #15233
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I'm glad you said that. After reading your comment (back in June) I've put the F 35-70 on the front of the KP more often as a walk-around lens. Today I went down to Pukerua Bay beach and, after deciding I wasn't there to capture birds, I put this lens on the front of the KP. I've just looked at the 20 shots I took and every single one is gorgeous out of the camera, save for some exposure needs and generally flat colour – two things I inevitably end up sorting out in post in any case.
Nice images. I'm glad I convinced you to take the F 35-70 out for some use. It's probably one of the most undervalued lenses out there as it was probably a 'standard' zoom for its time, so dirt cheap price wise but remarkable image quality. I'd be interested to know how it goes on a K-1.
I didn't have as much luck with the F 70-200, as it had some bad halos although still reasonably sharp. I've never tried the F 35-105 which is not quite as common but seems to get pretty good reviews on the forums, so might be worth keeping a watch out for as they seem to go fairly cheap.
08-06-2018, 09:29 PM - 3 Likes   #15234
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I was sitting out on the deck with the 35-70 on my K1 trying to get enthused about a lens that doesn't enthuse me. Out of the corner of my eye I spied the trailing edge of a Falcon curving up to land in a tree about 50 metres from me. Needless to say the 35-70 got short shift and on went the K400 - 600mm mirror racked out to 600mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-06-2018, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #15235
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So I was sitting out on the deck with the 35-70 on my K1 trying to get enthused about a lens that doesn't enthuse me. Out of the corner of my eye I spied the trailing edge of a Falcon curving up to land in a tree about 50 metres from me. Needless to say the 35-70 got short shift and on went the K400 - 600mm mirror racked out to 600mm.
Fantastic image GUB, thanks for sharing. I am not sure the donuts are my thing, but you use what you have to hand to get images like that
08-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #15236
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Fantastic image GUB, thanks for sharing. I am not sure the donuts are my thing, but you use what you have to hand to get images like that
I don't think the donuts are anybodies thing!! Nearest alternative was 400mm.
08-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #15237
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one GUB. I was going to say what Ross said, but now I'll just say "ditto"!
08-07-2018, 02:10 AM   #15238
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is such a juggle of cause and effect isn't it.
Electronic shutter or manual shutter? K1 - PentaxForums.com

(and after the piece - "what if"")
08-08-2018, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #15239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful bird – beautiful plumage! (Sorry, couldn't resist). Wish I saw more of them.

When you say "Needless to say" it is unfortunately only true in forums like this. It grinds my gears when I hear people saying your phone is the only camera you need. Selfie junkies, sure, but surely a lot of people appreciate wildlife. Even the 35-70 outdoes most cellphones.
08-08-2018, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #15240
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Wonderful bird – beautiful plumage! (Sorry, couldn't resist). Wish I saw more of them.

When you say "Needless to say" it is unfortunately only true in forums like this. It grinds my gears when I hear people saying your phone is the only camera you need. Selfie junkies, sure, but surely a lot of people appreciate wildlife. Even the 35-70 outdoes most cellphones.
A cellphone is the only camera you need until you say: "How do I create that shot?" And discover you can't.

Of course, the average phone shooter won't ever print a photo, nor look at it more than twice - Unless it generates 3 gazillion 'likes' on whatever social media site they post it to.
Rant over.