Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #15376

It's been very quiet here for a few weeks. Is everyone on holiday or have we reached the maximum post limit?

---------- Post added 10-12-18 at 11:10 PM ----------

Still working then.

There's been a few nice lenses on TM hope you guys grabbed a couple.

I've myself scored a P30n with 2x 50mm 1.7 M and a Spotmatic with 3 lenses (55, 135, 80-250), all for free, thanks to being the only Pentax user at a 150+ members camera club
I might have to buy a couple of M42 adapter now. I've refrained from going that route so far.

Last edited by krebss; 10-12-2018 at 11:12 PM.
10-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #15377
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
It's been very quiet here for a few weeks. Is everyone on holiday or have we reached the maximum post limit?

Still working then.

I've myself scored a P30n with 2x 50mm 1.7 M and a Spotmatic with 3 lenses (55, 135, 80-250), all for free, thanks to being the only Pentax user at a 150+ members camera club
I might have to buy a couple of M42 adapter now. I've refrained from going that route so far.
Good work for breaking the hex on this thread and also for getting that great old glass. Hint with the 50 1.7s - If you don't want to work in M mode, then leave them partially unmounted (about 8mm back from being clicked home) and they will work great in AV mode.
10-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #15378

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Good work for breaking the hex on this thread and also for getting that great old glass. Hint with the 50 1.7s - If you don't want to work in M mode, then leave them partially unmounted (about 8mm back from being clicked home) and they will work great in AV mode.
Now that's a nice trick. Does that work with any other lenses? All the manual ones?
I don't mind using the green button but yeah, if I can make it a bit faster then why not.

Any advise on the M42 adapter? I think I'll go with the cheap one with the spring/pin (that I'll remove) and leave one one each lens.
10-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #15379
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that's a nice trick. Does that work with any other lenses? All the manual ones?
I don't mind using the green button but yeah, if I can make it a bit faster then why not.

Any advise on the M42 adapter? I think I'll go with the cheap one with the spring/pin (that I'll remove) and leave one one each lens.
Yeah I got the cheap adapters from Ali Ex and I think that is the way to go. Expect a few that don't fit so well - the quality control aint that flash. Taking off the spring (snapping the spring if they are spotwelded) and dedicating one per lens is the way to go but realise that without the spring they are not located in place and a tight focus ring can unmount the lens. Not a biggie.
Are you aware that there are infinity and non infinity adapters? The infinity ones are the ones that have the spring. The non infinity ones work a lot better but stop you reaching infinity. The strength of this old glass is not really landscapes where you want infinity but rather they excel at portraits , closeups etc where the noninfinity adapter wins out.
The unmount trick is just for K and M mounts.
The M42s are already totally manual (with the lever at manual) so AV works fine.
Oh and something to be aware of if you take to using the green button - keep the eyepiece covered with your thumb if your eye is not up against it because light gets in buggering up the metering.
The M42s have a bit of a habit of not quite focusing to infinity after all these years of use. Take an infinity shot and check if closer things are sharper.

10-13-2018, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #15380
Pentaxian

It's been very quiet here for a few weeks. Is everyone on holiday or have we reached the maximum post limit?[COLOR="Silver"]
just recharging

SMC 20mmf4

Last edited by Transit; 10-13-2018 at 03:58 AM.
10-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #15381
Pentaxian

Still working then.

good onya Mate
What Gub said
150 to 1 is about right, too many Pentax and they get threatened.
I whipped the focussing screen out of a couple P30n's to grind down to fit K-5 etc, really helped manual focusing with yea blessed Takumarmites...
Stuffed up metering a bit if that is an issue
Those 1.7 50's are very nice with the methods Gub mentioned, they all can use a hood to good effect as older coatings struggle maybe
10-14-2018, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #15382
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Still working then.

Actually I have been away on holiday for a few days making the most of school holidays. I Finally got to meet someone from this group in person. The weather was fairly obliging too with a nice blizzard followed by a gorgeous fine day.

Before that, I'd been a bit preoccupied with the fruits of some of my photography. I've just published my second book of photography and poetry, and had a book launch to do. The printing was a bit of a big investment, but over the summer, I expect to sell good numbers, as I've identified a bit of a niche I think that should be popular.

I know the feeling about being the only one in a camera club with a Pentax, although the ratio isn't quite as big as for you. I'm pretty particular about entering the monthly competitions, just to prove that it's not necessary to have one of the big two to do well. The club's last competition year, I managed to come third in A grade for digital images (vs prints), and 2nd place getter was a Fuji user, so it goes to show just because Canon/Nikon have high profiles, doesn't necessarily make the best photographers out of their users.
Perhaps the opposite might actually be true to an extent as Canon and Nikon tend to be pretty heavily promoted, whereas if you want another brand, especially something with zero profile like Pentax, you need to know why you want it, which probably means you're already thinking more about your photography than someone who goes out and buys a cheap Canon DSLR at a big department store.
To be honest, a low end Pentax probably does a lot more for the money than many low end Canon models, and I know in my club, quite a few people seem to end up in the club initially to learn how to improve their photography.
Someone with a high end Canon/Nikon is likely to have capabilities that I don't have with my humble K-50, but someone with an entry level Canon/Nikon with kit lenses will probably be quite a bit more restricted in what their camera can do for them, even if they know how to use it.

10-14-2018, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #15383
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Actually I have been away on holiday for a few days making the most of school holidays. I Finally got to meet someone from this group in person. The weather was fairly obliging too with a nice blizzard followed by a gorgeous fine day.
And a really nice meeting it was too. I can confirm that Kiwizinho's signature is not quite up to date, as we had a good look at his very nice latest lens.

Always good to catch up with a fellow forum member and Pentax user.

Ross
10-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #15384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
And a really nice meeting it was too. I can confirm that Kiwizinho's signature is not quite up to date, as we had a good look at his very nice latest lens.

Always good to catch up with a fellow forum member and Pentax user.

Ross
Good spotting, my signature is a little out of date!

It was a pleasure to catch up. Timaru really turned on the weather too, although it clouded over a bit later in the day. I'm not sure when I'll next get down, bu there's some pretty interesting and ruggged country west and south of Timaru.

I managed to get to Mount Nimrod Scenic reserve, and it was nice, but just about got lost amongst all the back roads, and some of them are pretty rugged, although provide some interesting potential for landscape photography.

That DA 70mm 2.4 of yours is a real gem. Never having seen one in real life, I didn't realise how compact they are. At that size it would make a great street and portrait lens.

It's sort of quite the opposite of my big Tamron, which I guess I'd describe as a Crocodile Dundee lens (it was acquired in Australia after all.) "That's not a lens, THIS is a lens", although I dare say that big beast of yours that's under repair would be the ultimate Crocodile Dundee lens!

The DA 70 I'd call a MIB (Men in Black) lens - after Will Smith with his tiny little 'noisy cricket' ray gun that just about blows him out of the room with its recoil.
10-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #15385
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
The DA 70 I'd call a MIB (Men in Black) lens - after Will Smith with his tiny little 'noisy cricket' ray gun that just about blows him out of the room with its recoil.
What an excellent name for a lens
10-17-2018, 05:59 PM - 4 Likes   #15386
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
More from the travel files...

10-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #15387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
More from the travel files...
Health and safety? Yeah right!
10-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #15388
Pentaxian

Hi,

Does anyone have the PENTAX HD DA 16-85MM WR?

Thinking of upgrading my kit lens to this, but would like to hear first hand experiences with it if possible.
10-21-2018, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #15389
Pentaxian

Editing the Vietnam trip footage. This time a photo walk tour I went on.

10-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #15390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
just recharging

SMC 20mmf4
Is that what you call an iCat ?