Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #15466
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Do you get the same result if you set the same settings as I did?
With one browser, I get the same horizontal line in the magenta/pink area as you do, but not the differently coloured areas in the cyan/blue patch.

With another browser (Firefox), I don't get any artefacts at all.

Interestingly, the two different browsers render the noise differently as well. My first guess would have been different scaling approaches, but with these images, there shouldn't be any scaling involved. Perhaps there is (see below). My next guess would be a difference in colour management. The artefacts in the K-1 samples are very weird, though. I very much doubt they have anything to do with the camera.

If you right-click on the K-1 patches with artefacts and select "View Image" you'll probably see an artefact-free version of the patch. The resulting framing doesn't quite make sense to me, but the patches seem clean then.

11-07-2018, 02:48 AM   #15467
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
With one browser, I get the same horizontal line in the magenta/pink area as you do, but not the differently coloured areas in the cyan/blue patch.

With another browser (Firefox), I don't get any artefacts at all.

Interestingly, the two different browsers render the noise differently as well. My first guess would have been different scaling approaches, but with these images, there shouldn't be any scaling involved. Perhaps there is (see below). My next guess would be a difference in colour management. The artefacts in the K-1 samples are very weird, though. I very much doubt they have anything to do with the camera.

If you right-click on the K-1 patches with artefacts and select "View Image" you'll probably see an artefact-free version of the patch. The resulting framing doesn't quite make sense to me, but the patches seem clean then.
Good not just me then. Save some screenshots too- could be an interesting archive if someone starts start querying. I can't see how it is a browser or colour space issue coz it doesn't show in the +2EV or less samples.
11-08-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #15468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good not just me then. Save some screenshots too- could be an interesting archive if someone starts start querying. I can't see how it is a browser or colour space issue coz it doesn't show in the +2EV or less samples.
The browser viewport size might have an influence. I've built sites that have had interesting bugs only at very specific size ranges. Try grabbing the corner of the browser and changing the size while observing the issue.
11-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #15469
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The browser viewport size might have an influence. I've built sites that have had interesting bugs only at very specific size ranges. Try grabbing the corner of the browser and changing the size while observing the issue.
Naa good idea tho. tried chanzing the size of the window and also zoomed in and the artifact stayed there rock solid. I have played around with it a few times now and got it to appear on the d810, d850, k1 and k1mkii but never on the shiny new z7.

11-09-2018, 02:13 AM   #15470
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have played around with it a few times now and got it to appear on the d810, d850, k1 and k1mkii but never on the shiny new z7.
The "mirrorless difference"!
11-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #15471
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah. And given the way I use my K1 with the LCD viewfinder on LV I should be rushing off to get one. But what an uninspiring result in the Dynamic Range and Iso Invariance. I am sorry Richard but I suspect the Z7 is proof that good video has the potential to compromise still IQ.
11-12-2018, 12:33 AM - 5 Likes   #15472
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
6am in Wanganui on Sunday, as pipers played Battle's O'er to mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War ending.
They joined Armistice day commemorations with bagpipes being played at more than 2,000 locations worldwide.

11-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #15473
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stunning Richard. The lights are not yellow so I presume you have desaturated it. A really fitting result. The Sargent Gallery and those steps are one of the few bits of vision in this city. Lets hope they don't ruin it in the upgrede.
11-12-2018, 02:12 AM   #15474
Pentaxian

Stunning Richard. The lights are not yellow so I presume you have desaturated it. A really fitting result. The Sargent Gallery and those steps are one of the few bits of vision in this city. Lets hope they don't ruin it in the upgrede.
Got caught up with the hall seismic upgrade work and safety fencing on the forecourt, so couldn’t get exactly square on.

Was a fitting location for the event for sure.
11-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #15475
Pentaxian

Great image Richard !
11-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #15476
Veteran Member

woohoo, just purchased a couple of 35mm FA pentax lenses, and got an MZ-50 body thrown in, although, i am on the hunt for a better body, something like an MZ-5n, MZ-3 or MZ-6 ... I had thought about an MZ-S, but they are starting to go for a $500+ again on ebay. IF any one of my fellow Kiwi Pentaxian's knows of or has one of those they are willing to part with, i could be interested...
11-22-2018, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #15477
Pentaxian

A few more recent images:

11-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #15478
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
A few more recent images:
What a novelty for a photography forum. Someone actually posting images...

Very nice. I guess I should do likewise.
11-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #15479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
What a novelty for a photography forum. Someone actually posting images...

Very nice. I guess I should do likewise.
I should do the same, but i need to do some re-sizing... my 645 scans are 20,000 pixels on the longest side
11-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #15480
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Blenheim doesn't just grow grapes. We have some rather nice native sun orchids on the hills behind the town too. Taken with my Sigma 17-70.

---------- Post added 11-23-18 at 03:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
I should do the same, but i need to do some re-sizing... my 645 scans are 20,000 pixels on the longest side
At full res I think you'd need something like Google Maps technology to break them up into tiles so they can load in chunks as you scroll around.