Pentax K100D 6mp DSLR with 16-45 f4 lens for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
But he write
QuoteQuote:
i am now parting with it to invest in more professional Canon equipment
We should boycott him!

Nah, not really.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
heres another kiwi pentaxian with nice glass
You should invite him to our thread (and nicer forum).

The DA55-300mm seems like a very nice lens indeed. At least the second time I've seen very convincing shots from it.
01-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No probs with the lusting. The "shiny things" account is empty, though.
Can't say I want a bigger body (or file size) than the k100D myself tho the IQ would be nice
Personally, I'm hoping I don't find someone to team up with!
You should invite him to our thread (and nicer forum).
Yes.
The DA55-300mm seems like a very nice lens indeed. At least the second time I've seen very convincing shots from it.
I've seen some pretty decent shots several times now. It just seems to be flat out better than the DA 50-200, which I just can't bring myself to really be happy with.
That F 100-300 hasn't helped either - whether it is the fungus, or just the lens (probably both) the results are not good - looks like it's going back on Trademe... I wonder if I can get $20 for it... (being up front about the fungus)
01-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA55-300mm seems like a very nice lens indeed.
Bloody thing is only a grand, maybe I should flog off the DA14 and get one
I invited him via comment on his blog

looks like he's got pentaxitis rather badly

"
…And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we’re out together dancing cheek to cheek.

So sang Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers in the 1935 movie Top Hat. He was singing to, and about, Ginger and not about his Pentax digital SLR camera. However these words come close to describing my relationship with my camera right now. "

Pete

01-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bloody thing is only a grand, maybe I should flog off the DA14 and get one
I invited him via comment on his blog

looks like he's got pentaxitis rather badly

"
…And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we’re out together dancing cheek to cheek.

So sang Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers in the 1935 movie Top Hat. He was singing to, and about, Ginger and not about his Pentax digital SLR camera. However these words come close to describing my relationship with my camera right now. "

Pete
Call me sentimental, but I do love a good camera at my cheek!

Hello all and thanks for inviting me!

You say above it's a $1000 lens. Well, you'd be right if you're crazy enough to pay local prices. But in my research I found New Zealand to be the most expensive place to buy by a wide, wide margin.

Now if you've read my blog post you will know I didn't pay a cent for mine, but those dearest to me paid around half that price. I'm not going to go and re-do all my research, but from memory, it could be had cheapest in the US and next cheapest in the UK! Yes, the famously expensive UK. Singapore came somewhere in the middle, but a lot closer to the bottom end than the rip-off price here.

Now I happen to have a sister who lives not far from the shop and she happened to be flying back here at about the right time, but at today's exchange rates, it's about NZD$500 here.
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Call me sentimental, but I do love a good camera at my cheek!

Hello all and thanks for inviting me!
Welcome zkarj
prices here are tragic alright
just about fly to the states for purchase and still save.

another new Kiwi just popped up.
Looks like Pentax is on a roll in NZ
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #232
Pentaxian

Some lenses are comparable in NZ
eg SRS has the DA70 for 319 pounds $835 and P&V have it for $935
thank God there are lovely old cheap things to satiate my desires...
this was $25

01-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all, just a suggestion from a newbie.

It seems kinda tight fitting all us Kiwis (used to our wide open spaces) in a single thread. I suspect petitioning the forum admins for country-specific forums may not be successful - there are already several country-specific threads so the idea should have occurred by now.

However I have the space to set up a dedicated forum if it were deemed appropriate. I don't want to detract from the wider use of PentaxForums.com, but it just seems restrictive to be running a 16 page thread (so far) for such a broad range of discussions.

I wouldn't have the time to be a moderator, so could either pass that role onto someone or we could go "commando".

I would probably whack it on a subdomain of one of my existing ones, so it'd pretty much be free.

Just a suggestion. If people don't like it, that's fine. If it's a popular idea I could make it happen pretty soon.
01-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #234

Hi there, I am another pentaxian from NZ. I am in Christchurch and armed with a K10.
there i was thinking that i was one of ten people that had brought a pentax in NZ, how wrong was i?
01-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyK10D Quote
Hi there, I am another pentaxian from NZ. I am in Christchurch and armed with a K10.
there i was thinking that i was one of ten people that had brought a pentax in NZ, how wrong was i?
up to 12 now
01-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Hey all, just a suggestion from a newbie.

It seems kinda tight fitting all us Kiwis (used to our wide open spaces) in a single thread. I suspect petitioning the forum admins for country-specific forums may not be successful - there are already several country-specific threads so the idea should have occurred by now.

However I have the space to set up a dedicated forum if it were deemed appropriate. I don't want to detract from the wider use of PentaxForums.com, but it just seems restrictive to be running a 16 page thread (so far) for such a broad range of discussions.

I wouldn't have the time to be a moderator, so could either pass that role onto someone or we could go "commando".

I would probably whack it on a subdomain of one of my existing ones, so it'd pretty much be free.

Just a suggestion. If people don't like it, that's fine. If it's a popular idea I could make it happen pretty soon.
Great offer !
Personally I'm not too bothered about the loong thread
but having the chance for several threads amongst us would be a bonus I say yes
cheers
Pete
01-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome to zkarj and JimmyK10D! Great to see you here.

Regarding a dedicated Kiwi forum, I'll abstain. Good reasons for it have been mentioned. Reasons against it could be:

1. I don't think a full forum is needed for the small range of topics we have covered in this thread. I really enjoy this thread but how many threads would a Kiwi Pentaxians forums have?

2. Hopefully this thread has some visibility and helps to gather more Kiwi Pentaxians. If we all move to a dedicated forum I wonder who is going to find us there.

I'll be happy to contribute to a forum, I'm just a bit sceptical (as usual) whether it would be a move in the right direction.

P.S.: Increase the number of posts shown on a page. With my settings, the thread is just 6 pages long.

Last edited by Class A; 01-14-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo
01-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #238
Pentaxian

I like it here, and we can always start another thread when this reaches its max.

There's nothing on that TN auction that interests me sorry.

I certainly would not buy from NZ. I have bought successfully from B and H.
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #239

up to 12 now
Make that thirteen, unless I've already been counted I got my K10 about this time last year and I'm also in Christchurch.

Cheers
Brian
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #240
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
I got my K10 about this time last year and I'm also in Christchurch.
Welcome Brian!

You should have good access to Ian R. Little Ltd. . I have sent them a request about sensor cleaning and hot pixel mapping but have never received a reply. Do you know whether they do this at all?

Who, in NZ, could do something like hot pixel mapping or AF calibration (potentially for a particular lens)? I don't need this service right now, just wondering what to do when the day comes.