Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Hello all and thanks for inviting me!
Welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You should have good access to Ian R. Little Ltd. . I have sent them a request about sensor cleaning and hot pixel mapping but have never received a reply. Do you know whether they do this at all?

Who, in NZ, could do something like hot pixel mapping or AF calibration (potentially for a particular lens)? I don't need this service right now, just wondering what to do when the day comes.
When I called IRL, I was told their repair service is contracted out to the following Christchurch company:
Fototech
Give them a call and talk to them about it.

01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Brian!

You should have good access to Ian R. Little Ltd. . I have sent them a request about sensor cleaning and hot pixel mapping but have never received a reply. Do you know whether they do this at all?

Who, in NZ, could do something like hot pixel mapping or AF calibration (potentially for a particular lens)? I don't need this service right now, just wondering what to do when the day comes.
good luck with IAL
They had a go at cleaning my mucked up sensor with some success and added new muck too. Asked them to map pixels several times but they still forgot. Mentioned it when I got it back after 6 weeks and they said send it back down
no mention of Fototech at the time, just that the tech was 'on holiday'
Pete

Last edited by Transit; 01-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
Make that thirteen, unless I've already been counted I got my K10 about this time last year and I'm also in Christchurch.

Cheers
Brian
Welcome Brian
we may be approaching critical mass

Pete
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Phew, fortunately that K20 + lens bundle closed... now I just hope they don't relist the sodding thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
no mention of Fototech at the time
It took some prodding...it was the explanation for why they couldn't transfer my call. Once I'd called back, I then asked the guy about their company I think, unfortunately, that they don't have much / anything in terms of parts on hand, which could make for slow turnaround times.

we may be approaching critical mass
I certainly hope so... maybe if we keep this up, we'll outnumber the aussies...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I certainly would not buy from NZ. I have bought successfully from B and H.
With the recent sharp rise in prices, I've been thinking about this myself. I was wondering whether or not you managed to get an international warranty card from them, and also the type of shipping you chose.

01-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #245
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We also have a social group but the latter doesn't allow quoting and doesn't notify members about new postings. We are therefore using this thread to communicate about the troubles and joys of being a Pentax user in the land where the Kiwi roams.
Now it does- you can send mass PM's! Check out my recent post in the news forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I was told their repair service is contracted out to the following Christchurch company:
Fototech
Thanks a lot!

good luck with IAL
They had a go at cleaning my mucked up sensor with some success and added new muck too. Asked them to map pixels several times but they still forgot.

I hate when this happens. Had my car at the panel beaters to do a paint job. Showed them a little scratch somewhere else and they said "Yes, will do it. Same price. That's nothing". Was the scratch removed when I picked up the car?

I really think they should have been able to remove the muck on your sensor. You only used a brush that wasn't quite clean. Everything should come off the glass protecting the anti-aliasing filter with the right solvent. And forgetting the hot pixel mapping a number of times... I guess I'm wasting my time with thoughts about having a camera lens combination calibrated...
01-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Now it does- you can send mass PM's! Check out my recent post in the news forum
Thanks Adam for gracing our thread with your posting.

I think we should still keep the thread. The social group still doesn't allow quoting and I'd be lost without multi-quoting!

01-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #248
Pentaxian

Actually I did just check out the Kiwi group and noticed all the old posts gone! I can't see any problem with carrying on these threads though.

I'll have to research my postal option. Can't remember now.
01-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #249
Pentaxian

I cleaned my own sensor! Yes I was scared! But it all went fine. Bought a cleaning kit from Wgtn Photo Supplies.
01-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually I did just check out the Kiwi group and noticed all the old posts gone!
The group is now here PentaxForums.com - Kiwi Pentaxians
and you'll find the old post in the discussion "Kiwi Pentaxians".
BTW, all of K-xx-500-user's messages (also in this thread) are gone for some reason.

I cleaned my own sensor! Yes I was scared! But it all went fine. Bought a cleaning kit from Wgtn Photo Supplies.
I'll do it myself one day. I'm a bit scared but not too much. If part of a package, I would trust a service with it, but Pete's stories don't instil confidence.

Wellington Photo Supplies seems just way off with their prices (I've bored you with this already). They want NZ $180 + GST for a set that costs less than half of that originally. I went from shop to shop until I settled for a brush for $10. I cleaned it well and will extensively test it on a filter before I use it. Hopefully everything will come off with it without the need to resort to wet cleaning. I have no problems with dust but I know (from stopping down to f/45) that there are three small amigos right in the centre that have withstood all my blowing efforts. Hopefully, I'll be able to swipe them away, even if it is just for piece mind rather than actually addressing IQ.
01-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #251

Welcome Brian!

So far I've not had to use the service facility, just hand over buckets of money for my camera and lens. I deal through Photo and Video International here in Christchurch who are very good. Normally when I have a question they just get on the phone to Littles and get an answer on the spot while I'm in the shop.

I looked up Fototech and see they are based in the Littles building in the city proper, (not the main one out by the airport). Also in the same building is a company called Tecnar Electronics. This company was run by a Jack Ruth who I worked with many years ago before he went out on his own. Tecnar was also involved in photographic servicing from memory. Is this a coincidence or are the two related. Fototech's phone number is (03) 962-1271 and Tecnar is (03) 366-3747. It may well be worth you giving Tecnar Electronics a call and see if they can shed any light on what is going on. If Jack is still there he will know.

Regards
Brian
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Wellington Photo Supplies seems just way off with their prices (I've bored you with this already). They want NZ $180 + GST for a set that costs less than half of that originally. I went from shop to shop until I settled for a brush for $10. I cleaned it well and will extensively test it on a filter before I use it. Hopefully everything will come off with it without the need to resort to wet cleaning. I have no problems with dust but I know (from stopping down to f/45) that there are three small amigos right in the centre that have withstood all my blowing efforts. Hopefully, I'll be able to swipe them away, even if it is just for piece mind rather than actually addressing IQ.
good luck mate, i shelled out $70 for eclipse and pec pads from aussie in the end.
the visible dust electrostatic brush thing is supposed to be very good but the price aint

Pete
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #253
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
Also in the same building is a company called Tecnar Electronics.
Thanks for pointing this out and the contact details. Do you think they will do a better job than the Littles?[/QUOTE]

i shelled out $70 for eclipse and pec pads from aussie in the end.
Did you use it already? Is the handling OK, did you end up with a clean sensor?

I tried to get Methanol (Eclipse) or Ethanol (E2) from a pharmacy. So far no luck. I was told to try a liquor store for some pure Ethanol. Has anyone tried to source a sensor cleaning liquid this way?

If you go this route, make sure you buy 100% clean stuff only. Often other ingredients are added, for example to stop people from drinking pure alcohol. These additives will be left behind on your sensor.

I also heard that Q-tips are OK for sensor cleaning as long as they are pure cotton without any stuff added.

While I'm at it: Many times I've read one should not exhale on one's sensor. But then other people do and they seem to be fare well with it. Essentially the moisture in one's breath is distilled water and if you don't spit on your sensor, the moisture should evaporate in seconds as it does on a lens surface. Therefore, I don't see any reason why one should not do it (e.g., in order to help particles to stick to a brush, or as a very lightweight solvent when you want to clean with pec pads).

Remember we are cleaning the anti-aliasing filter, not the sensor directly. And the filter is usually protected by glass. Some funky filters have an unprotected ITO coating that will come off when you treat it with Methanol (Eclipse) but if your camera model is listed as being compatible with Eclipse, you know that the filter withstands a rather aggressive solvent (Methanol) and should have no problems whatsoever with a breath of moist air.

A Canon technician is reported to even exhale on the mirror (much more delicate) and wipe the fog off with a "Kimwipe" (whatever the latter is).

the visible dust electrostatic brush thing is supposed to be very good but the price aint
My $10 brush will do the job just as well. I made sure I went for the right type (size, synthetic, soft). The "Pixel Sweeper" article was very helpful.
I'd never buy overprices products, just out of principle. I don't think my brush increases in value or suitability if I print "For Digital" (or similar c**p) on it.
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #254
Veteran Member

And forgetting the hot pixel mapping a number of times... I guess I'm wasting my time with thoughts about having a camera lens combination calibrated...
t might just be an issue of communication, and your request being lost between IRL and Fototech. When I called them (Phototech), I was asked to include a written explanation of what was wrong and what I wanted done.

I can't shed any light on the Tecnar connection, but the two gentlemen at Fototech who service Pentax (and maybe the only two guys?) are named James and Richard.

On the subject of sensor cleaning, so far I've managed sp far to get away with just a blower. I have the "shake sensor at startup" setting on for both my cameras too, in the hope it might help stop things from becoming stuck in the first place, but I'm not optimistic about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Now it does- you can send mass PM's!
Great! Also, as Class A has already said, thanks for stopping in to tell us!
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #255
Pentaxian

Did you use it already? Is the handling OK, did you end up with a clean sensor?

I tried to get Methanol (Eclipse) or Ethanol (E2) from a pharmacy. So far no luck. I was told to try a liquor store for some pure Ethanol. Has anyone tried to source a sensor cleaning liquid this way?

If you go this route, make sure you buy 100% clean stuff only. Often other ingredients are added, for example to stop people from drinking pure alcohol. These additives will be left behind on your sensor.

I also heard that Q-tips are OK for sensor cleaning as long as they are pure cotton without any stuff added.
Dunno about qtips mate, sounds a bit scary.
The set i got included a wee plastic blade that you wrap the pecpad around.
Chemists are pretty shy of this sort of stuff nowdays, the pentax could be a front for a cannabis oil operation
I scrubbed away with them but got no more success than Littles.
on the new cam, I have no dust and will only puff when I do
Pete