Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #15496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get the expenses. But I wonder what is Wairarapa's reasoning for February 2019 then? As far as I am aware Classic Fighters is the only other one and that's a couple of months later.

Whatever it is, it wasn't a factor for the *nine* shows previous to 2017. And Classic Fighters has always been at Easter – a holiday weekend: what a great idea!

11-26-2018, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #15497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Ouch! Expensive hobby. That's not even considering things like the venom. I remember having a guided tour of the engineering base at Woodbourne and being shown a Strikemaster engine. We were told it would go through the entire contents of a typical car's fuel tank in something like I think I can't remember if it was 45 or 90 seconds. Either way, it was something that made even a large, thirsty SUV look economical to run.

At least the likes of the DC-3s can take a decent number of passengers who can contribute to paying their running costs.
Its scary, its no wonder a 20 minute ride in a Mustang is $2500, and the spitfire is around $3500.
i watched a video of one of the original Sea Fury Syndicate pilots who mentioned that at max range cruise it consumed around 150 GALLONS per hour, but normal cruise was around 300 gallons per hour and at power for airshow displays around 500 - 700 gph!
11-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #15498
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I get the expenses. But I wonder what is Wairarapa's reasoning for February 2019 then? As far as I am aware Classic Fighters is the only other one and that's a couple of months later.

Whatever it is, it wasn't a factor for the *nine* shows previous to 2017. And Classic Fighters has always been at Easter – a holiday weekend: what a great idea!
Classic Fighters has always organised to do alternate Easters to Warbirds over Wanaka, so that the two shows don't compete with each other, and so local volunteers don't get burnt out.

Classic Fighters also has a stronger WWI focus while I think Warbirds over Wanaka has a slightly more WWII focus although there are overlaps. Wanaka has a sealed runway, whereas Omaka is grass, so it does lend itself to different aircraft types at each.
Jets and heavier aircraft do display at Omaka, but they have to operate out of Woodbourne, so there's no chance to see them on the ground.

I live less than 3km from Omaka (mind you in Blenheim, everything is typically less than 3km away ) and I'm on the flight path of aircraft coming in from the North Island, so just standing out on the deck or in the street, it's usually possible to see aircraft as they arrive.
11-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #15499
Veteran Member

Classic Fighters has always organised to do alternate Easters to Warbirds over Wanaka, so that the two shows don't compete with each other, and so local volunteers don't get burnt out.

Classic Fighters also has a stronger WWI focus while I think Warbirds over Wanaka has a slightly more WWII focus although there are overlaps. Wanaka has a sealed runway, whereas Omaka is grass, so it does lend itself to different aircraft types at each.
Jets and heavier aircraft do display at Omaka, but they have to operate out of Woodbourne, so there's no chance to see them on the ground.

I live less than 3km from Omaka (mind you in Blenheim, everything is typically less than 3km away ) and I'm on the flight path of aircraft coming in from the North Island, so just standing out on the deck or in the street, it's usually possible to see aircraft as they arrive.
Omaka is cool because they put more attention on the likes of the WW1 and early aviation, with more modern involved. They also put more emphisis on scenarios with ground and air theatre.. I remember one show had a Vietnam era scenario that used RNZAF Huey's depositing troops, a couple of 'air america' Jetrangers, the Corsair subbing for an A-1 Skyraider and the A-37 Dragonfly all operating a scenario based off of Apocalypse Now.
Also with Omaka having the multiple runways it allows some really nice banked passes to show off the top of airplanes from both directions.
They could in theory operate some of the Jets from Omaka, the likes of the Venom and A-37 can operate off Grass, the A-37 has doors that Automatically cover the inlets to allow rough field ops

11-29-2018, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #15500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TVSN Shopping are flogging off K70 bundle with 40mm, 18-55mm, 50-200mm lens, plus accessories for NZ$999.00
11-29-2018, 06:29 PM - 5 Likes   #15501
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I heard from the Marlborough mayor that the American ambassador to NZ now has a copy of my book about Blenheim's Taylor River, and apparently was most impressed. All Pentax captured images inside.
I wonder if he shows it to his boss, whether we'll get a 'Make Pentax great again' campaign.
11-29-2018, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #15502
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard from the Marlborough mayor that the American ambassador to NZ now has a copy of my book about Blenheim's Taylor River, and apparently was most impressed. All Pentax captured images inside.
Well done!

12-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #15503
Veteran Member

Woo.. My 'new' Pentax arrived last week, I found an MZ-50 on trademe with a Sigma 28-80 & Pentax FA 100-300mm for what would be considered a steal, the Sigma is in reasonable nick, the 100-300 had some fungi in the lenses as advertised but the aperture ring is locked in place at f8, so the FA is off to Greg @ CW in Timaru for an overhaul, and the Sigma MZ 50 have had a roll of film already through, just waiting on it to come back from developing... Although in reality the MZ-50 is a stopgap until i find an MZ-3/5n or MZ-6 (id prefer the 5n)
12-05-2018, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #15504
Pentaxian

FA77ltd on TM reserve met at 6 hundy go go go
12-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #15505
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
...the FA is off to Greg @ CW in Timaru...
What does "CW" stand for and how could I contact Greg, in case I'll ever have a need for lens repairs?

Are there any other repair options, on the North Island, for instance?
12-05-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #15506
Veteran Member

CW Services.
Camerarepairs.co.nz - Home

No Idea what CW stands for, but he's the most reliable technician I'm aware of.
12-05-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #15507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
CW Services.
Camerarepairs.co.nz - Home

No Idea what CW stands for, but he's the most reliable technician I'm aware of.
Ive been dealing with Greg for nearly 17 years (since i started in the shop) and never had problems, the only other techs i will happily deal with are A&E Electronics in Christchurch, they are the Nikon & Olympus service center for NZ, but also do other brands as well.
12-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #15508
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
12-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #15509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What does "CW" stand for and how could I contact Greg, in case I'll ever have a need for lens repairs?

Are there any other repair options, on the North Island, for instance?
They also regularly post on Facebook. Some of the posts are very interesting.
12-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #15510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
FA77ltd on TM reserve met at 6 hundy go go go
closes 7:30 tonight
would quite like the black one...any offers for my pristine silver ?