Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #256

Photos: Gallery
Hi Everybody

Hi there everyone, nice to find a group of Kiwi Pentaxians! Thanks, Class A, for letting me know this forum existed.

I'm a K100D user who lives in Otaki Beach and enjoys getting out there and capturing our glorious sunsets. You can check out some of my photos at
Flickr: TomRaven's Photostream

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Pentax Rocks!

Cheers, Tom

01-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome Tom!

QuoteOriginally posted by TomRaven Quote
I'm a K100D user
Perhaps not for much longer. Tom's K100D is on TradeMe. If you know anyone in need of one, get it! It takes awesome pictures (check out his Flickr photstream)!! All Tom had to do was press the shutter button!!!

Seriously, the images on your stream are the ones I wish I could do. The colours and moods are just so much my cup of tea. Great stuff!

Obviously, you don't need any Tips and Tricks and I wish you good luck with selling the K100D, but just in case you may want to check this K100D Tips and Tricks thread.

Last edited by Class A; 01-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
t might just be an issue of communication, and your request being lost between IRL and Fototech.
Yes, but when it happens repeatedly, it makes you wonder how much care they apply when they handle the cameras. But it could well be that the techies are alright and the mishaps occur at a different level.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
On the subject of sensor cleaning, so far I've managed sp far to get away with just a blower.
Maybe that's because you are not looking hard enough?
If you don't, I think you are doing the right thing, though. I started out with the ambition to keep my sensor spotless but then discovered that I indeed could see a point in owning more than one lens and that lens changing and dust on the sensor is just part of the game. Unless I see the dust bunnies in normal shots, I decided I generally should not bother. Blowing so far got rid of all the bunnies I see under normal circumstances, but it doesn't get rid of a number I see when doing a f/45 test shot against the sky or a bright wall.

I'll try my purpose bought "pixel sweeper" brush for these sometime, but I haven't yet managed to verify that the brush is indeed safe to use. Stroking a coated UV filter with it a 1000 times is something I haven't got round to doing yet.

Last edited by Class A; 01-17-2009 at 12:55 AM.
01-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomRaven Quote
Hi there everyone, nice to find a group of Kiwi Pentaxians! Thanks, Class A, for letting me know this forum existed.

I'm a K100D user who lives in Otaki Beach and enjoys getting out there and capturing our glorious sunsets. You can check out some of my photos at
Flickr: TomRaven's Photostream

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Pentax Rocks!

Cheers, Tom
Gidday Tom welcome

good to see our numbers building up.

maybe we can fund a lens buying cabal
Pete

01-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glass and grass

I took my new DA55-300mm ED glass over to Masterton yesterday and I have to say it performed very well and certainly up to my expectations. The IQ is brilliant and it is certainly no worse, or rather, I am no worse with it than with my previous lens as far as camera operation goes. Some of my shots weren't in focus, but then I don't see anything on the box that rates it for 400mph fly-bys! I did have some hunting focus moments, but this lens allows you to grab that ring and twist it so long as the autofocus motor isn't actually engaged. I used that capabilty a few times, twisting it quickly to infinity after a close shot before getting the autofocus to lock onto a distant aircraft.

I was also using my new Sandisk Extreme III cards and there was basically NO wait time when shooting in RAW. Shoot, lower camera, inspect image, light goes out.

Anyway, you can check out the results (159 published out of 568 shot) in this Flickr set.
01-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #261

K100D and Snapafun

Hi guys and gals

I use my camera for work recording, family events like weddings and family holidays.

I also prefer to DIY any problems I have ando found this thread whilst looking for tips on disassembling a Tokina 75-200, a Tamron SP 35-210 ( no luck this one yet ) and a Pentax A 50mm ( still looking ) so that I might get a chance at de-molding them.

A tip here, do not lock your lenses away in a camera bag inside a "dry" wardrobe. They are actually never dry 'cause whatever else is in the wardrobe will drag moisture in which in turn will 'mold' your lenses. Mine got left there while I was saving for a DSLR over my SuperA. Bummer.

What I'm looking for now is some tools specifically for disassembling lenses ~ so if anyone here can pass on, sell me, loan me some I'ld be stoked.

For now : Rock and Roll lives...........
01-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I took my new DA55-300mm ED glass over to Masterton
woohoo you certainly did !
you should take a bow for good technique no gear will save a bad pan
as you say 400mph...
That Corsair is one incredible beast
I watched it at Omaka last year... while he waited for his display up wind, he did about 15 consecutive loops just to warm up... my jaw was on the ground

those shots seem to be very well exposed
is your cam a k20D ?

very nice to view thanks !
Pete

(can't get the first DC3 pic to open)

01-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #263
Pentaxian

this has brought on an aviation anecdote sorry

I think it was a Corsair that a NZ pilot was ordered to flight test after the war near Auckland...
told to determine top dive speed, he went high then dived under power, controls got heavier ...as they did
but then elevators progressively locked up completely
feet on dash pulling and everything and the isthmus is growing in his screen
finally starts winding up the elevator trim tabs and slowly the nose lifts
the wings were a mass of ripples from the stress of it

I thought of it when the sucker was diving for his opening run through Omaka
01-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #264
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
maybe we can fund a lens buying cabal
How about a bulk buying order on a Pentax 55-300 or a Sigma 10-20?

These are the two (sensible) lenses I'd like to acquire next (there are a lot more "not sensible" ones). Not that there aren't better ones around but these seem to be good and within financial reach. I'll need a year or so, to replenish the "shiny things" budget, though.
01-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #265
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
this has brought on an aviation anecdote sorry
This reminds me of a joke, sorry.

Teacher: What is the propeller of an aeroplane for?
Pupil: To prevent the pilot from sweating.
Teacher: What makes you think that?
Pupil: I once saw a film where the propeller of the aeroplane stopped working. Boy, was the pilot sweating!!!

01-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #266
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I took my new DA55-300mm ED glass over to Masterton yesterday
I cannot believe, honestly, how sharp these shots are. This lens is certainly more than usable. And your technique apparently rocks. Very well done!
01-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapafun Quote
I also prefer to DIY any problems
Same here, but unfortunately I have no experience with taking lenses apart (and, more importantly, putting them back together again). No tools either, sorry.

A tip here, do not lock your lenses away in a camera bag inside a "dry" wardrobe.
Is it OK to leave them in the wardrobe free standing, or should they be on open shelves? I currently do the former (with silica gels packs and nothing else in the wardrobe compartment) and watch the room humidity. As soon as it gets into the high 60's I activate the dehumidifier.

I'm really sorry about your lenses. Hope you can get them back to normal again.
01-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #268

I've read along the way that UV actually stops the mold progression so reason that if no mold appears to exist yet, or only an acceptable amount, ( your pics will decide that ), a sunbathing from time to time may well keep the lenses usable.

In your case, leaving the lenses out in the open room and subject to sunlight may seem risky, but looks as if it might be better than within the wardrobe.

Firing up your dehumidifier in the high humid days must have some benefit though but the best thing may well be to keep them in your possession and get on with using them.

For me, I'll be investing in silicone packs, dehumidifier and sun from now on ~ NB. no mention of cupboards or wardrobes here.
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #269

I've read along the way that UV actually stops the mold progression so reason that if no mold appears to exist yet, or only an acceptable amount, ( your pics will decide that ), a sunbathing from time to time may well keep the lenses usable.

In your case, leaving the lenses out in the open room and subject to sunlight may seem risky, but looks as if it might be better than within the wardrobe.

Firing up your dehumidifier in the high humid days must have some benefit though but the best thing may well be to keep them in your possession and get on with using them.

For me, I'll be investing in silicone packs, dehumidifier and sun from now on ~ NB. no mention of cupboards or wardrobes here.

Now you have all scared the living daylights out of me, mold is something I have never worried about, in fact never heard of it till recently but having invested in three good lens over the last 12 months maybe its time for some silica gel. My question is where does one get it from in NZ and more specifically Christchurch.

Also I've heard that the water crystals available from garden shops really soaks up moisture but the resultant mess may not be the best for a lens. I keep my gear in a LowPro bag with the lid unzipped.

Regards
Brian
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I cannot believe, honestly, how sharp these shots are. This lens is certainly more than usable. And your technique apparently rocks. Very well done!
Mmmm. Sharp-ish. If you look closely at the Corsair shot above you will see motion blur. He was going damned fast!

If you take a look at something a bit slower (and where I had a bit of warning), it's much sharper/cleaner.

Both of these are crops of full 10Mpix images from my K10D.