Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #15721

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I have a sigma 18-35 ff lens with an internal lens that looks a bit like that - in my case (having looked at it with a high magnification) I think it's oil.
Thanks. I hope it's that or fungus.

02-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #15722
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
Would someone know what it is and if it's easily cleanable? I've searched a bit and can't find anything quite like that.
Greg here in Timaru at CW Services CW Services Ltd - Home | Facebook is a very good camera technician if you are wanting it to be stripped down and repaired
02-05-2019, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #15723
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch - the seller has a bit to answer for given his comments. Why does that appear to be the edge of a displaced element in your shot? Is it just from the angle of the shot. It is not a very typical fungus look but maybe is from years of damp storage rather than the opportunist web like growth you normally see. I would be very conflicted about the sale - if it is knackered the 50 macro ends up expensive but the 20mm are so rare here in NZ it is probably worth the gamble of repair.
02-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #15724

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Ouch - the seller has a bit to answer for given his comments. Why does that appear to be the edge of a displaced element in your shot? Is it just from the angle of the shot. It is not a very typical fungus look but maybe is from years of damp storage rather than the opportunist web like growth you normally see. I would be very conflicted about the sale - if it is knackered the 50 macro ends up expensive but the 20mm are so rare here in NZ it is probably worth the gamble of repair.
I don't think there is a displacement element, probably just the way the light shine through if you refer to the darker part of the lens.

As I said, the 'speckles' are not as bad as it looks on the photo and I'm hoping a clean would make it new again. I am a bit annoyed with the comment from the seller but he might not have known what to look for and if it just need a clean, I would have had a great bargain. It was a gamble as I couldn't go and see them first.
The 50mm is in great condition.

I have several other lenses to clean fungus from so I might try do it myself, starting with the cheap ones

02-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #15725
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is a displacement element, probably just the way the light shine through if you refer to the darker part of the lens.

As I said, the 'speckles' are not as bad as it looks on the photo and I'm hoping a clean would make it new again. I am a bit annoyed with the comment from the seller but he might not have known what to look for and if it just need a clean, I would have had a great bargain. It was a gamble as I couldn't go and see them first.
The 50mm is in great condition.

I have several other lenses to clean fungus from so I might try do it myself, starting with the cheap ones
I clean quite a few but have never attempted a zoom - they look tricky! One of these is well worth the time getting . Grass grass hand wrench shaft wrench head tool wrench lens tool lens repair mildew removal tool-in Photo Studio Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Looks like you may only have to go in the back which tends to be not difficult.
It was the rind of light that looked like an element edge that I was referring to. The edges should be out of sight. It is probably just a trick of the light.
02-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #15726

I clean quite a few but have never attempted a zoom - they look tricky! One of these is well worth the time getting . Grass grass hand wrench shaft wrench head tool wrench lens tool lens repair mildew removal tool-in Photo Studio Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Looks like you may only have to go in the back which tends to be not difficult.
It was the rind of light that looked like an element edge that I was referring to. The edges should be out of sight. It is probably just a trick of the light.
Yes, found one of these on TM DSLR Lens Spanner Wrench Opening Tool Stainless Steel For Camera Repair | Trade Me

I was given a couple of M 50mm 1.7 with a bit of fungus so I'll do these first see how I go.
02-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #15727
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a sigma 18-35 ff lens with an internal lens that looks a bit like that - in my case (having looked at it with a high magnification) I think it's oil.
I think you're probably correct - It does look like oil. In which case, it's repairable.

02-05-2019, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #15728
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, found one of these on TM DSLR Lens Spanner Wrench Opening Tool Stainless Steel For Camera Repair | Trade Me

I was given a couple of M 50mm 1.7 with a bit of fungus so I'll do these first see how I go.
The basic approach I take is if it is optics cleaning you are planning to do you do not need to go near the mechanical parts of the lens. So from the rear you are usually straight on to the double slots and from the front you have to remove the name ring first. Shouldn't need to remove the mount . Haven't done a F series - don't know how different. I use Isopropyl alcohol - don't know if that is the right stuff or not but it works. LED headlight is great though now being an old fart a magnifying headset with light is getting more useful. Clean hands going in Latex gloves saves a lot of tears reassembling.
02-06-2019, 02:18 AM - 3 Likes   #15729
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Clean hands going in Latex gloves saves a lot of tears reassembling.
I try not to reassemble whilst cutting onions too...this helps.
02-06-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #15730
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
I try not to reassemble whilst cutting onions too...this helps.
Awww heck you know what I mean!! You get it all assembled , look through it and there is a blimmin fingerprint!
02-06-2019, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #15731
Veteran Member

One tip I found out the hard way - if you are wearing gloves while reassembling a lens - Don't touch your face. Same effect as not wearing gloves at all.
02-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #15732
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One tip I found out the hard way - if you are wearing gloves while reassembling a lens - Don't touch your face. Same effect as not wearing gloves at all.
yep - disgusting how greasy we are!
02-08-2019, 04:22 PM - 4 Likes   #15733
Pentaxian

yep - disgusting how greasy we are!
funny, I thought we were quite well presented
due to basic editorial errors the previous image is being developed correctly
bare with
look i'm having a bit of a go at this iso interference method
and it's a bit of a steep learning curve
the previous cockup had people and a wall lamp exposed
doh...so now it's mainly the correct black and I'm calling it Four cups with lamp

just went to a Terry Waite lecture and he reckoned using the brain preserves it so I'm up for the challengw
Great to see the Nikon guy
we're all using the same sensor really

Last edited by Transit; 02-09-2019 at 01:59 AM.
02-10-2019, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #15734
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks a bit more like idiot intervention rather than Iso interference!
Just to prove I did go walkies this end of week --- Te Rerepahupahu Falls in the Waitaanga forest West of Ohura.

A28mm on the K1, the closer one 2 1/2 image stitch.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-10-2019, 04:31 PM - 3 Likes   #15735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
No, but two work colleagues are heading over this week, one swimming and one sailing.

Exciting to think of event photography, and the change to implement some artistic options as well.
You've got zoom lens action shots, group / individual portraits/wide shots, closeup detail shots of equipment (think swimming goggles resting on something etc)
And then you can apply some artistic options, such as photographing the crowd cheering on, or competitors through a gap in the crowds arms etc.

I'd encourage all to remember to have fun
I'm not sure I had fun or not yet taking thousands of photos at the Games. Maybe I'll make up my mind when the pay comes in, not that it will be a lot, I did it more for the experience. It was tiring work sometimes, other times easy. It was shot week so being inside in air-conditioned environments shooting snooker wasn't too bad! But outside shooting soccer wandering around 4 fields trying to get a shot of every competitor was trying.

Shooting squash from up high and just getting tops of heads and backs wasn't that fulfilling, but some of the social events were fun, and all the competitors and officials were good to us and always keen for a chat about their sport. The netball tent had zero non-alcoholic drinks, and I was told, after asking for one, "this is netball".

Our mandate was to get shots of everyone, getting good shots was secondary, so it was a different way of thinking.

Met up with Transit, Gub and Class A for a drink and meal, some photographic talk was had, and some political! I'm happy for Transit to put the photo up if the others are.