Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #15766
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Only those of us who have been in the same boat!
Exactly!

03-02-2019, 09:54 PM - 2 Likes   #15767
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally got to Castle Point. Forgot my tripod so ya do what ya can. Cruel and unusual treatment of an image here. 135mm handheld 1/15 wide open at f2.8. Iso 100 pushed about 10 stops in post holding back the highlights. So about Iso 100,000. The noise will jump out and bite you if you get too close!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #15768
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Sunset over Lion Rock at Piha
triffic shot Richard...mystical

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2019 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Finally got to Castle Point. ...
heck you really got it ! lots of depth in that scary cliff
03-02-2019, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #15769
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The family photography hobby has now extended with my youngest daughter Eilish (11yo) enjoying photography.

A very nice white K-01 arrived from the USA via PF Marketplace on Friday, and we have been out on photo walks both of the last 2 days, which has been loads of fun.

Her photos are displayed on Eilish Photographs

I am quite impressed with the quality of the K-01 images.

---------- Post added 03-03-19 at 06:46 PM ----------

Finally got to Castle Point. Forgot my tripod so ya do what ya can. Cruel and unusual treatment of an image here. 135mm handheld 1/15 wide open at f2.8. Iso 100 pushed about 10 stops in post holding back the highlights. So about Iso 100,000. The noise will jump out and bite you if you get too close!
Nice image GUB, thanks for sharing. No doubt a much tricker proposition than you are admitting.

03-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #15770
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

Nice work.
The K01 has got to be the best bang for buck camera out there. It is really just a K1 with a stomach staple. Pixel for pixel they perform pretty well the same. For the close uppish bokehish work she has displayed the K01 is the equal of the FF.
Thing is you have a noticeable increase in dof with the crop but still have much the same blur/bokeh as FF.
How much blur? - A visual background blur calculator
And a 50mm on crop is budget and as good a portrait lens as you could want.
03-03-2019, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #15771
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
The family photography hobby has now extended with my youngest daughter Eilish (11yo) enjoying photography.

A very nice white K-01 arrived from the USA via PF Marketplace on Friday, and we have been out on photo walks both of the last 2 days, which has been loads of fun.

---------- Post added 03-03-19 at 06:46 PM ----------

Nice image GUB, thanks for sharing. No doubt a much tricker proposition than you are admitting.
She has quite an eye for a good photo for one so young. Very nice!
03-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #15772
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat shot. Nicely framed.

03-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #15773
Pentaxian

Nice work.
The K01 has got to be the best bang for buck camera out there. It is really just a K1 with a stomach staple. ....

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2019 at 09:51 PM ----------

look I'm a bit sensitive in that area...
considering letting the K-1 go to a more deserving practioner
My K-01 sits unused and a little DA21 nearby...
then the slippery slope to APS-C with the 43 and the 300* on the move

but what D-SLR ?
the K-01 is a sharp option in quite a few applications
but attracts unwanted attention from hipsters and Pentax purists
I suppose a K-70 with extended aussie warrenty is an option
so it's the Q-7 for this cowboy mainly atm

Last edited by Transit; 03-03-2019 at 02:13 AM.
03-03-2019, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #15774
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
She has quite an eye for a good photo for one so young. Very nice!
I think she is going to go way past my ability in time

The K01 has got to be the best bang for buck camera out there. It is really just a K1 with a stomach staple. Pixel for pixel they perform pretty well the same. For the close uppish bokehish work she has displayed the K01 is the equal of the FF.
I have to say I have been really impressed with the K-01. Pentax really optimised that 16MP sensor, and get a huge amount out of it.

I am still very happy with my K-3, but that K-01 delivers.

---------- Post added 03-03-19 at 10:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
but what D-SLR ?
the K-01 is a sharp option in quite a few applications
but attracts unwanted attention from hipsters and Pentax purists
Just use the K-01, do you really need a D-SLR. And forget about what others think - it should be what works for you.

Right now using a mirrorless camera is where it is at (apparently if you follow all the internet hype and have massive amounts of spare coin in your pockets)
03-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #15775
Pentaxian

I have two daughters, aged 9 and 10. The youngest turns on live view always, and the eldest likes the optical viewfinder, but will use live view as well.

Given the same lens, sensor and shutter underneath, they're both just framing tools available to us.

I feel mirrorless and DSLRs have more in common than they do different, and don't feel too passionately about either style over the other.
03-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #15776
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two daughters, aged 9 and 10. The youngest turns on live view always, and the eldest likes the optical viewfinder, but will use live view as well.

Given the same lens, sensor and shutter underneath, they're both just framing tools available to us.

I feel mirrorless and DSLRs have more in common than they do different, and don't feel too passionately about either style over the other.
The Z7 has been a bit of a wake up call that they stick crappolla over the sensor that the mirror system in a dslr takes care of. If you are critical focussing as in closeups or manual lenses then LV beats the OVF hands down.
03-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #15777
Pentaxian

The Z7 has been a bit of a wake up call that they stick crappolla over the sensor that the mirror system in a dslr takes care of.
I think the impacts of this, or how a company chooses to deal with these, are case by case. The Pentax K-70 has in sensor phase detect sensors (which are used to give continuous AF in video for example) and I’ve not heard an outcry at the poor image quality from this.

DSLR separate AF systems aren’t without their issues either, hence the AF calibration adjustment, which can be an issue for non linear zoom lens issues for example.

Pros and cons either way.
03-03-2019, 09:17 PM - 3 Likes   #15778
Pentaxian

That moment when you first walk out onto unbroken sand in a hidden location.

03-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #15779
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you are critical focussing as in closeups or manual lenses then LV beats the OVF hands down.
Manual focus: No question.
Critical focusing: It depends. A well-calibrated PDAF system can be more precise than CDAF.

Granted, it is generally not possible to achieve optimal PDAF calibration (micro AF adjustments) over the full operating range of a lens, in particular with zooms.
However, despite the hype created by the MILC fanboys from DigitalVideoReview, MILCs haven't replaced DSRLs just yet.
As soon as the professional sports shooters switch to Sony A9's or similar, I'll believe the hype. Until then, I take everything from DVReview and other publishing outlets with conflicts of interest with a big grain of salt.

The Pentax K-70 has in sensor phase detect sensors (which are used to give continuous AF in video for example) and I’ve not heard an outcry at the poor image quality from this.
Part of the reason why you haven't heard an outcry is because DigitalVideoReview prefers to manufacture an outcry over the minimal RAW smoothing of the K-1 II and do not subject their MILC darlings to the same level of criticism. Having said that, even DVReview has published articles about the striping (in backlighting conditions) and banding (when pushing shadows) some OSPDAF (on-sensor PDAF) implementations (e.g., those from Sony) produce.

Yes, in many shooting situations OSPDAF technology will produce images that are perfectly fine and will perform much, much better in video, but for a still shooter who has not been stifled by regular PDAF, the recent developments in the MILC arena are a step backwards, AFAIC. I could image eye-AF to be very handy, but I wouldn't pay the price for that by having to look at a mini-TV set with an off-putting white balance, choppy display when the camera is focusing or taking burst shots. Have you seen how poorly the brand new Canon RP handles burst shots at a measly 3-5fps? Good luck with following a moving subject because the viewfinder will show you what has happened a short while ago, not what is actually happening. There are of course better implementations but they cost a pretty dollar.
03-04-2019, 04:16 AM   #15780
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There are of course better implementations but they cost a pretty dollar.
I have been looking at that this evening for a hybrid video/stills application - yup, they cost a very pretty dollar, especially the new full frame models coupled with a reasonable quality zoom