Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unbelievable.

03-17-2019, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #15797
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Our hearts go out to everyone in Christchurch, specifically our New Zealand Muslim community affected by this terrible attack.
Thanks Mark, I think you speak for all of us there
03-17-2019, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #15798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our hearts go out to everyone in Christchurch, specifically our New Zealand Muslim community affected by this terrible attack.
A sad time in Paradise.
03-17-2019, 09:33 PM - 3 Likes   #15799
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Last edited by Class A; 03-21-2019 at 01:37 AM.
03-25-2019, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #15800
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We have friends here who have lost friends. Our Muslim friends here are reasonably liberal, and the wife got into trouble with some other Muslims I think for not being devout enough, but she's a pretty good friend of my wife, although my wife comes from a pretty conservative Baptist background in Brazil.

I know the head of the local Muslim association reasonably well too, as I went to school with his daughter when he was a Catholic. (I was actually one of only a handful of non-Catholics at the primary school I went to.)

I think what's so sad, apart from the loss of life, is the attempt to strike at the heart of tolerance in New Zealand.
03-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #15801
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
We have friends here who have lost friends. Our Muslim friends here are reasonably liberal, and the wife got into trouble with some other Muslims I think for not being devout enough, but she's a pretty good friend of my wife, although my wife comes from a pretty conservative Baptist background in Brazil.

I know the head of the local Muslim association reasonably well too, as I went to school with his daughter when he was a Catholic. (I was actually one of only a handful of non-Catholics at the primary school I went to.)

I think what's so sad, apart from the loss of life, is the attempt to strike at the heart of tolerance in New Zealand.
Sorry to hear!
03-25-2019, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #15802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our Muslim friends... I know the head of the local Muslim association...
"They are us."

03-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #15803
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
"They are us."
Exactly.

Actually it's given me an idea that's quite relevant for a photography forum. I'm a big fan of Brandon Stanton's 'Humans of New York' series of portraits of people from all walks of life initially in New York, but eventually extending to other places.

I think maybe there's an opportunity to do something similar here in NZ.

I'm self-(un)employed, so I have some flexibility around my time although ideally being busy earning is preferable, the reality is I have periods without too much to do between projects. I've run a website about my region for 20 years now, and though I'm a bit shy about photographing people on the street, I'm thinking maybe I should start giving it a go.

What I appreciate about 'Humans of New York', is it shows people as they are, in their own words, without passing judgement.

One of the things about social media (even this forum), is that even though it's easy to post images ,it's so easy to remain faceless if people choose to.

I shot my first wedding a few weeks back, as someone I'd known since a toddler was getting married, and thought they couldn't afford to have photos, so my wife volunteered me. The thing is, quite a few of the people were not the kind I'd regularly associate with, and yet doing the photography, I realised that whatever quirks and vices people have, they're still people, and have moments of joy, sadness, stress, relaxation and so on regardless of who they are.

I think after Christchurch, it reminds me how much we need to be reminded of the humanity of each other regardless of political persuasion, religion, body art, growth rings, and so on...
03-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #15804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I realised that whatever quirks and vices people have, they're still people, and have moments of joy, sadness, stress, relaxation and so on regardless of who they are.

I think after Christchurch, it reminds me how much we need to be reminded of the humanity of each other regardless of political persuasion, religion, body art, growth rings, and so on...
There was a bit on the telly the other night where a Muslim chap was addressing a crowd and he said "We eat fish and chips with tomato sauce." Nothing quite says it as succinctly as that, but I wholeheartedly agree with all you have said. I think that's a great idea. I have a huge "pool" of opportunity on the Wellington waterfront each day, though I am also a bit shy about photographing people. I have taken pictures with people in them, but not of people in a public setting.

Speaking of which, I must pluck up the courage to engage a chap I see often on the waterfront. As best I can make out he's there every single morning around 7:30-ish taking photos. Old fella who looks like he's seen a few things. I bet he has a story worth telling.
03-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #15805
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and though I'm a bit shy about photographing people on the street, I'm thinking maybe I should start giving it a go.
I think that goes for all of us. I am slowly inching my way into it. What has helped me is our Council promotional branch has commissioned my camera club to take people photos on two occasions. Both situations were "dress up" ie one was "Lights on Bikes" and the other the Wanganui Vintage weekend. The beauty of this is any one that has gone to the trouble to dress up is fair game for the camera.
And because I am a fairly large waste of space I stick out a bit. This in the short term is a nuisance as far as candid shots are concerned but in the long term people will start to recognise me and consider me legit. I think if I wanted to take it any further I would get some cards printed with an email contact. I think that would give me a bit more of a license to shoot.
EDIT and further about the council - they run FB sites with these images in it - People seeing my ( or whoevers) shots of themselves will likely remember the photographer..
03-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #15806
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Wanganui Vintage weekend
Isn't that every weekend.... like Palmy....
03-26-2019, 01:41 AM   #15807
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
No comment...
03-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #15808
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Yep that the great thing about Wangas - I look a spring chicken whenever I visit
03-26-2019, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #15809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool! That’ll make me look young and fit when I come back next year! 🤣
03-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #15810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yep that the great thing about Wangas - I look a spring chicken whenever I visit
I could have something to say about that - but I won't!