Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wow the new FA* 50 1.4 !!

04-05-2019, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #15827
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Oh wow the new FA* 50 1.4 !!
Bingo!

Once you know it, it is really easy to see (check the image again).
04-06-2019, 12:47 AM - 3 Likes   #15828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've barely picked up a Pentax this year. Hopefully that will change shortly as I jet off to warmer climes for a break. Meanwhile, I've been playing with Skylum's "new" release — Luminar Flex. It's basically just Luminar 3 re-packaged for plugin-use in any of Apple Photos, Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Seeing as I have ditched Adobe in favour of the full-blown Luminar, I've got this running in Apple Photos. In general I'm finding it integrates really well and gives me all the Luminar goodness I am used to now.

However, as all I have in my Apple Photos library is HEIC images from my iPhone, there's only so far I can push the images. It's a great lesson in the flexibility of RAW!

04-07-2019, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #15829
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Attachment 447319
There is a size (and weight) difference...

I did a couple of comparison shots and the FA 50/1.4 held up better than I expected (in the centre of the frame). The new HD FA* 50/1.4 is phenomenal, though.
My first weather-sealed lens as well.

P.S.: Sorry that I had to remove the other image and the attached animation is so small, but I ran out of attachment space and cannot delete older attachments.

Last edited by Class A; 09-19-2019 at 06:30 PM.
04-07-2019, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #15830
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

very nice
04-07-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #15831
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty amazing how well the Taks stand up considering there is half a century between them and the FA*
edit - that is the 8 element Sup Tak 50 1.4
Attached Images

04-07-2019, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #15832
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haaaa just gave you your 1000th like Tom!!

04-07-2019, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #15833
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And now all you have to do is think of two intelligent things to say!!
04-07-2019, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #15834
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are pretty good numbers
04-07-2019, 03:17 AM   #15835
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pretty amazing how well the Taks stand up considering there is half a century between them and the FA*
On the one hand you have a point and at f/8 the Super Tak is even better than the HD D-FA* (provided the measurements have been done under the same conditions), but on the other hand there is HUGE (as in "gianormous") difference in achieving a certain performance level at f/1.4 vs f/8 (the latter being the aperture the Super Tak needs to be stopped down to in order to reach the performance of the HD D-FA* wide open! It becomes non-linearly harder to achieve good performance the larger the aperture becomes. That's the reason why the HD D-FA* is so big and heavy.

I'm glad the Pentax engineers optimised the HD D-FA* for large apertures (it doesn't even stop down to f/22). In my usage so far, I don't think I ever stopped down beyond f/2.8.

Oh no, I'm doomed.
04-07-2019, 03:18 AM - 3 Likes   #15836
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!

I'd like to use this opportunity (post count) to thank the pentaxforums.com members who welcomed me when I just had acquired a K100D and was about to take the very first steps towards my photographic journey.

Their advice and willingness to share their knowledge have been invaluable to me. They are the reason why I nowadays try to do the same, pass on some of my knowledge so that others can make more informed decisions.

I'd also like to thank the contributors to this "Kiwi Pentaxians" thread. You guys make it an awesome community of which I'm proud to be a member of.

Last but not least, I'd like to thank @Adam for creating pentaxforums.com!
04-07-2019, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #15837
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd like to use this opportunity (post count) to thank the pentaxforums.com members who welcomed me when I just had acquired a K100D and was about to take the very first steps towards my photographic journey.

Their advice and willingness to share their knowledge have been invaluable to me. They are the reason why I nowadays try to do the same, pass on some of my knowledge so that others can make more informed decisions.

I'd also like to thank the contributors to this "Kiwi Pentaxians" thread. You guys make it an awesome community of which I'm proud to be a member of.

Last but not least, I'd like to thank @Adam for creating pentaxforums.com!
You did it, 10,000 posts and 1,000 likes - fantastic

And yes, this is a very good community.
04-07-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #15838
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
On the one hand you have a point and at f/8 the Super Tak is even better than the HD D-FA* (provided the measurements have been done under the same conditions), but on the other hand there is HUGE (as in "gianormous") difference in achieving a certain performance level at f/1.4 vs f/8 (the latter being the aperture the Super Tak needs to be stopped down to in order to reach the performance of the HD D-FA* wide open! It becomes non-linearly harder to achieve good performance the larger the aperture becomes. That's the reason why the HD D-FA* is so big and heavy.

I'm glad the Pentax engineers optimised the HD D-FA* for large apertures (it doesn't even stop down to f/22). In my usage so far, I don't think I ever stopped down beyond f/2.8.

Oh no, I'm doomed.
Technically you are 100% right. But think about practical use - if you are wanting the f1.4 stuff you know that only a small proportion of your image is going to be in the dof plane and it is likely the corners are not within the dof plane so the quality of the oof is more important there.
And apart from astro stuff you are not likely to have the need to be at the wide end for infinity work where drop off in the corners is more apparent.
I was really surprised at the Ephotozine results but also they totally reflect what we think of the 55 f2 vs the 50 1.4.
When I saw the charts I immediately knew why I always reached for the fast 50s in my arsenal.
Absolutely not trying to dis the FA* (just blimmin envious) so congratulations and don't waste post 10000 growling at me!.
EDIT Dang - missed it. Good on ya Tom and thank you for making this niche in PF. Pentax Forums has taken me from a greenhorn newbie to a know-it -all old git in 7 years. And without the Kiwi thread giving me confidence I would never had gotten so involved.
04-07-2019, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #15839
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For posterity -
Attached Images

04-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #15840
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
You did it, 10,000 posts and 1,000 likes - fantastic
Thanks!

It was so hard to write these unhelpful posts in order for the likes to not grow too quickly.

EDIT: Thanks GUB! That's very cool.