Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #15961
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike
Not an oil painting at the best of times - but a cold and sore sinuses at 4000 metres doesn't bring the best out in anyone!
I prefer this desaturated version.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #15962
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Mike
Not an oil painting at the best of times - but a cold and sore sinuses at 4000 metres doesn't bring the best out in anyone!
I prefer this desaturated version.
He looks like he's auditioning for a Speights advert. Neat shot.
06-13-2019, 02:09 PM - 4 Likes   #15963
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mother Sherpa.
Our head guide afforded us the honour of meeting her Mother who lives in the old family home in Lukla. I only got the opportunately to grab a family shot of the pair of them and this is cropped out of that.
One of the great strengths of the K1 is the ability to crop down to a small section of an image if needs be ( if you can get over the technological obssessions of the K1 performance).
This shot has ended up about 6 megapixels.
While in Nepal I purchased some locally made Daphne paper which is a very high quality wholemeal type rice paper. So the intentions of this edit is to print it on this paper. Unfortunately the results can't be recorded here but the print is stunning. I did a similar edit of the above "Mike" and it has printed equally well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-13-2019, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #15964
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually here is the "Mike" print scanned. Shows it fairly well.
some of the furry edges of the paper is visible.
I am getting it matted on black with the bevel about a cm out from the edge so the paper sits fully exposed.
The paper is so thin the colour of the backing bleeds through. (Black board here.)
Yet the paper feeds through the printer well and takes the ink very subtly.

Attached Images

06-13-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #15965
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great work Gub.
06-13-2019, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #15966
Pentaxian

Stunning Gub I like the idea of the local paper
06-16-2019, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #15967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did a bit of a roadie up to Rotorua last weekend and managed to spot THREE trains on what Dad used to call the "disused railway line." All were "dirty diesels" which is a shame, as I rarely get to see the EF electrics. Having just passed one going in the same direction in the vicinity of Hunterville, I was fairly sure I could stop to get this shot of the Makohine Viaduct.

My wife asked me about the Mangaweka Viaduct. I have fond memories of Dad stopping on the side of the road next to the now extinct viaduct and him, my brother, and me climbing some way up the hillside to watch a train come past — Dad being prepared enough to have sourced and checked a freight timetable. Last weekend I was too busy passing traffic to remember to check out the remaining pylon foundations that were still visible last time I did think to look.

06-17-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #15968
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago we did a farm walk through some of the old tunnels on that line. Just had a look on Gogle earth to see if I could work out where we went but naa. Can still see those foundations you are talking about on the mapping and can follow the old line in most places.
06-19-2019, 03:53 PM - 4 Likes   #15969
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Waterfall that was used as a Lord of the Rings film set location.

Tawhai Falls: Now known as Gollum’s Pool, a short walk takes you where Gollum catched a fish while Faramir and his rangers aim their arrows at him?

06-19-2019, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #15970
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Tawhai Falls: Now known as Gollum’s Pool, a short walk takes you where Gollum catched a fish while Faramir and his rangers aim their arrows at him?
Really nice image Rich. Just a small correction 'Gollum catches a fisssssshhhhhh fisssssssssshhhhhh while...'
06-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #15971
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shot Richard. Shutter speed?
06-19-2019, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #15972
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very nice shot Richard. Shutter speed?
Not sure, would have to look back. Was whatever I dared get away with hand holding whilst balanced on a rock. Probably 1s or similar.
06-20-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #15973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I have a very similar one, a little bit further back with rocks in the foreground.
06-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #15974
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Very nice. No Gollums down here, but there are a few waterfalls about.

This was probably barely a waterfall, more like just a bit of a cascade in a stream by Lake Chalice. I'm off to the physio this morning to find out how badly I've stuffed my knee walking down to the lake and back up on Queen's Birthday. (It's only rated as a one hour tramp down to the lake, but it's steep, as you descend from about 1200m at the carpark to about 750m at the lake, then you've got to climb up again afterwards.
Almost 3 weeks later, and I can still barely walk 100m without severe knee pain.
Still, I managed to get a nice photo. F16 2.5s 48mm on Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5. I have a gorillapod which is a mini-tripod that you can wrap the legs around things, that I used for this, as it doesn't take up much space, and means I've got at least some kind of tripod without having to carry too much gear.

Last edited by Kiwizinho; 06-22-2019 at 08:08 PM.
06-20-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #15975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With no tripod, I went for only 1/100 on this shot of Maraetotora falls in Hawkes Bay.

I do now have a GorillaPod so must get out and find places to use it to good effect.