Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #15991
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great shots. Kapiti Island is still on my to do list.

Frankly wish I had a bit longer reach than my 55-300 Pentax lens and with better IQ. Moving above that 300mm mark seems to be very expensive in Pentax land. I love the focusing speed/volume of that PLM lens though, it's pretty amazing.

06-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #15992
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Thanks, Mark! How dumb am I. In celebration, here's a shot of Paraparaumu taken from Kapiti island that I took during our 2018 visit. (PLM55-300 at 55mm, f7.1) Hope to go back next year!
Not dumb at all. It's not difficult from a computer, but those people posting from their phones seem to have more of a struggle.
06-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #15993
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

'You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me?'
Lovely sharp shot. I need to have a better go at that Tui!
06-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #15994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me?'
Looks like a bit of a ruffian to me! Great shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Frankly wish I had a bit longer reach than my 55-300 Pentax lens and with better IQ. Moving above that 300mm mark seems to be very expensive in Pentax land. I love the focusing speed/volume of that PLM lens though, it's pretty amazing.
Don't we all? I shudder to think how I coped with *only* 300mm on my MZ-50 when I think of how many times 450mm equivalent is "not quite enough" now. I'm keen on a 150-450 but my bank account is unlikely to be keen enough in the foreseeable future.

06-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #15995
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Don't we all? I shudder to think how I coped with *only* 300mm on my MZ-50 when I think of how many times 450mm equivalent is "not quite enough" now. I'm keen on a 150-450 but my bank account is unlikely to be keen enough in the foreseeable future.
I feel your pain. But check the EXIF data of my Tui shot....
06-23-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #15996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I feel your pain. But check the EXIF data of my Tui shot....
Well, then, to quote Steve Jobs... "You're holding it wrong!"

I didn't even have to leave the house for this one. (In fact I just noticed what appears to be a reflection from the window — straight lines from centre left.)

It's at the full 300mm and probably cropped somewhat. I'll have to check when I get home.

06-24-2019, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #15997
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every now or then you get a portrait that reminds you of something!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
06-24-2019, 02:19 AM   #15998
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
That's an uncanny resemblance.
06-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #15999
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, then, to quote Steve Jobs... "You're holding it wrong!"

I didn't even have to leave the house for this one. (In fact I just noticed what appears to be a reflection from the window — straight lines from centre left.)

It's at the full 300mm and probably cropped somewhat. I'll have to check when I get home.

Very nice. I'm envious!
This Tui here seems quite aloof. He stay high up in the neighbour's tree. When there's flowers on our Kowhai tree, he ventures a little lower.
06-24-2019, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #16000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very nice. I'm envious!
This Tui here seems quite aloof. He stay high up in the neighbour's tree. When there's flowers on our Kowhai tree, he ventures a little lower.
The Kowhai in my photo almost touches the house at the upper story, so they're often at the perfect height. Just as often hiding around the other side, though.

I was up in Rotorua a couple of weekends ago and only heard a couple of Tuis, whereas here in Wellington they are more common than Blackbirds, I'd say. Admittedly at this time of year they're a wee bit more scarce, but I'm sure if I sit at the window for an hour during the day I will see at least a few. In summer they are plentiful.
06-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #16001
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Green Hood Orchid
Mini triffids. There are quite a few of them around Picton. Blenheim has the sun orchids which look less like alien life forms, and more like what you'd expect for flowers.

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 11:34 AM ----------

My first ever bird image was with a Cosina and a 35-70 manual lens, back in the days when Canterbury's braided rivers weren't overgrown with willow and broom. If you wander into the middle of a tern nesting ground, they tend to come to you, and it's definitely a good idea to keep your eyes behind the camera - if you want to walk away with your sight intact.

My favourite ever seagull in flight image was taken with an FA-50 in a park, as kids were feeding bread to the ducks, and of course the gulls wanted in on the action too.

Of course there are times I'd like something long, but I think if I went somewhere and sat quietly and waited long enough, I'd get some good bird images with less time than waiting to afford a 150-450!
06-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #16002
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Of course there are times I'd like something long, but I think if I went somewhere and sat quietly and waited long enough, I'd get some good bird images with less time than waiting to afford a 150-450!
That's some sound logic there. f/8 and be there.
06-27-2019, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #16003
Pentaxian

Original Poster

For authenticity, you should have mirrored the image before making the coin. Heads on these coins looked from left to right.
06-27-2019, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #16004
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

For authenticity, you should have mirrored the image before making the coin. Heads on these coins looked from left to right.
Yeah I did that first but I didn't like it (probably coz it killed the likeness of someone I knew) so went back and did it this way which is the original shot. I goggled first and probably 10% of the coins looked this way.
06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #16005
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe there are 3D industrial printers that can 'print' metal, so I guess anyone can start minting their own coins now.

Of course that will probably cause chaos for future archaeologists sifting through the remains of our civilisation, as it's quite possible they could come to the conclusion some person of minor significance who happened to get minted was some great political leader.