Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #16036
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lake Wanaka from the Rippon vineyard. What a beautiful sight that was. Fisheye 10-17mm at 13mm, f10, de-fished.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #16037
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Lake Wanaka from the Rippon vineyard. What a beautiful sight that was. Fisheye 10-17mm at 13mm, f10, de-fished.
Very nice image, thanks for sharing
07-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #16038
Pentaxian

wow that is just so rich !
defishing that baby sure does work, looks like a great lens
07-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #16039
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Long time no see
I went to the Mainland
You didn't get anywhere near the land of the long rows of grapes by any chance? (Actually they're only about 3% of Marlborough, but probably 60% of roads and 90% of major ones go through vines, so people miss the other stuff).

If anyone's every passing through and wants to know where to go to see things other than vines, yell out.

---------- Post added 07-13-19 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I still haven't had a result worth the effort.
Developing a few theories (probably wrong)
Think if you went to the trouble of putting your camera on a tripod and using the electronic shutter with a normal shot you would be three quarters of the way there quality wise. And people mistake these steps for pixel shift boost.
Never seem to be able to get motion out of the image (the green screen in Rawtherapee)
As of this morning, I'm now in possession of pixel shift capabilities, so I'll have to experiment and see what results I get, as I do a few landscapes.

---------- Post added 07-13-19 at 05:51 PM ----------

Very nice. Doesn't look too fishy at all, so good de-fishing.

07-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #16040
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The de-fishing was done using the lens profile in ACR, with a touch on the distortion slider if necessary (don’t remember offhand if it was).
07-13-2019, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #16041
Pentaxian

I've been starting to suffer cabin fever, and had a new toy that arrived yesterday, so took it for it's first outing this afternoon when the rain cleared. This just proves that Marlborough isn't all grapes.
It was blowing a screaming gale, so no chance to test pixel shift.
07-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #16042
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I've been starting to suffer cabin fever, and had a new toy that arrived yesterday, so took it for it's first outing this afternoon when the rain cleared. This just proves that Marlborough isn't all grapes.
Nice shot! So, how's the new toy?

07-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #16043
Veteran Member

Looks good.. New toys are always good
07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #16044
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
required shot of Rotoroa
Last time I went there I didn't own a camera. I need to go back. The top half of the South Island was our holiday stomping ground when I was a kid. Ferry from Welly to Picton, drive down the Wairau to Murch (relatives there). Occasionally we'd head further west or south — Westport, Greymouth (relatives there), even Christchurch once (long day!) — then up to Nelson (yet more relatives), then a dash back to the ferry. Two weeks every two years, if I remember correctly. The '73 Triumph 2.5 PI with trailer containing everything including a large, three room tent. Mum, Dad, and 3 kids.

Oh, my! Noo Zilund thou art purty.
07-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #16045
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice shot! So, how's the new toy?
I'm still getting used to the K-70, but it seems like a worthy upgrade to the K-50.

It seems a bit more angular than the K-50 but still perfectly comfortable to hold. Because of the articulating screen, the position of some of the buttons has moved compared to the K-50, but in some respects they're more ergonomic, for example in the K-50 the AE-L button and the image review button are very close, and I'd sometimes find I'd hit the image review button instead of AE-L when I was trying to lock the exposure, but that can't happen on the K-70, and the AE-L is in a more accessible position.
Video mode selection has moved to a position on the power switch, which I haven't made up my mind about although I guess it makes sense as you can set AV or TV and video mode, but hey, I don't think anyone buys Pentax for it's video capabilities right?

At first I had a wee panic, as I couldn't find the multi-exposure mode (yes I actually use that sometimes), but it turns out instead of locked away in the menu, it's under drive modes, so actually more accessible, and the drive modes offer heaps more options than the K-50, although one thing that bugs me is on the K-50 I could select between the main modes using the rear control wheel, but on the K-70, it seems you have to use the four way controller which is slower.

I might be needing to invest in some additional storage space on my laptop sooner rather than later, as there's a big leap in raw file size. On the K-50 DNGs came in at between about 16-20MB each, on the K-70, it's 30-40MB. There's an increase in bit depth from 12-14 bit as well as the increase in resolution, so I'm not surprised.

I'm actually thinking I might keep the K-50, and finally part with the elderly K-x, as there are times I'm not sure I need 24M pixel, but there are plenty of times raw has saved my bacon. 14 bit raw is a nice step up and means I should be able to recover more highlights and shadows, but if I don't need a big file, then going to jpg I lose any higher bit depth advantage, so might be better off shooting raw on the lower resolution sensor if I don't need any of the other new features of the K-70.

I think keeping two bodies is useful in case of equipment failure, also for flexibility. I shot a wedding for the first time earlier this year, and still having the K-x turned out to be useful, as I had a 17-70 2.8-4.5 on the K-x and 70-200 2.8 on the K-50, and it's quicker swapping cameras than changing lenses.
07-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #16046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still getting used to the K-70, but it seems like a worthy upgrade to the K-50.
Enjoy. The e- book is good value. I found the Pentax manual is a tough read.

Pentax eBooks - PentaxForums.com
07-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #16047
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems a bit more angular than the K-50 but still perfectly comfortable to hold. Because of the articulating screen, the position of some of the buttons has moved compared to the K-50, but in some respects they're more ergonomic, for example in the K-50 the AE-L button and the image review button are very close, and I'd sometimes find I'd hit the image review button instead of AE-L when I was trying to lock the exposure, but that can't happen on the K-70, and the AE-L is in a more accessible position.
Video mode selection has moved to a position on the power switch, which I haven't made up my mind about although I guess it makes sense as you can set AV or TV and video mode, but hey, I don't think anyone buys Pentax for it's video capabilities right?
That sounds sensible. For those of us who (almost) never shoot video, having it out of the way like that makes sense, I think.

At first I had a wee panic, as I couldn't find the multi-exposure mode (yes I actually use that sometimes), but it turns out instead of locked away in the menu, it's under drive modes, so actually more accessible, and the drive modes offer heaps more options than the K-50, although one thing that bugs me is on the K-50 I could select between the main modes using the rear control wheel, but on the K-70, it seems you have to use the four way controller which is slower.
I had to go read up what all the drive modes mean with the K-1. It does seem to make sense having the multi-exposure mode under drive modes.

I'm actually thinking I might keep the K-50, and finally part with the elderly K-x, as there are times I'm not sure I need 24M pixel, but there are plenty of times raw has saved my bacon. 14 bit raw is a nice step up and means I should be able to recover more highlights and shadows, but if I don't need a big file, then going to jpg I lose any higher bit depth advantage, so might be better off shooting raw on the lower resolution sensor if I don't need any of the other new features of the K-70.

I think keeping two bodies is useful in case of equipment failure, also for flexibility. I shot a wedding for the first time earlier this year, and still having the K-x turned out to be useful, as I had a 17-70 2.8-4.5 on the K-x and 70-200 2.8 on the K-50, and it's quicker swapping cameras than changing lenses.
I think the K-50 will make a good backup camera to the K-70. Of course, you'll probably get nothing for the K-x on TM, but who knows!
07-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #16048
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Enjoy. The e- book is good value. I found the Pentax manual is a tough read.

Pentax eBooks - PentaxForums.com
What? A Bloke reading a manual? ...if all else fails!

I must say, not having a full printed manual makes it a bit harder, although I managed to figure out what I need to get up and shooting fairly quickly.

I like that so many options are included under drive mode now, as I don't need to go looking in so many places in the menu.

There's certainly lots of new stuff to learn, but I'm all good with the basic settings I need. The Info screen works as before, offering quick access to common settings like AF mode, metering mode, file format etc.

I mostly work in Av mode, with exposure compensation or spot metering as required, but will use TAv for mobile natural history such as birds or insects, as particularly with insects, I need a minimum shutter speed, and a minimum aperture, and I haven't got time to manually adjust ISO.

For flash photography, I use M, as my external flash units are manual units, and if I let the camera meter to natural light, I'll tend to end up with overexposure from the flash, or motion blur due to setting too low a shutter speed.

I certainly shoot images where pixel shift might work, and I'm keen to see if I can observe any noticeable difference, however the increased resolution, bit depth, and removal of the AA filter give me a big step up over the K-50 anyway.
07-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #16049
Pentaxian

You didn't get anywhere near the land of the long rows of grapes by any chance? (Actually they're only about 3% of Marlborough, but probably 60% of roads and 90% of major ones go through vines, so people miss the other stuff).

If anyone's every passing through and wants to know where to go to see things other than vines, yell out.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- ..
Yep were in Blenheim for a while but doing hospital visits with in-laws.
Then stayed in Charleston with a day trip to Punakaiki. Want to go back with more time to go up the Denniston plateau
07-15-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #16050
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645Z on TM: Pentax 645z Body | Trade Me