07-23-2019, 04:38 AM   #16111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little bedtime reading on diffraction DIFFRACTION

07-23-2019, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #16112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pics, GUB! The first one has hundreds of inverted self-portraits in it!

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
A little bedtime reading on diffraction
My brain hurts...
07-24-2019, 01:38 AM - 2 Likes   #16113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crikey! A bloke takes a bit of a break and you lot all start discussing nuclear physics. Err, pixel shift and dof, at least.

I've tried a few PS images with the KP and although I have no comparison shots, I feel they do exhibit a crispness beyond what I would normally expect. I guess the results will depend heavily on lens choice and configuration, too.

I've just got back from a bit of a road trip (1530km or so in 6 days) and while the KP did get a few outings, an iPhone was appropriate for this particular meeting. Due to circumstances and weather, it wasn't going to be a "photo shoot" kind of visit. Nevertheless, evidence was recorded by my wife. For those unaware/interested, this aircraft has a very special significance for me (hence my online handle which I've been using for about 20 years now).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
07-24-2019, 01:45 AM   #16114
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow, what a cool story!

07-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #16115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting article, which I bet some here will have some views on.

Goodbye Aberration: Physicist Solves 2,000-Year-Old Optical Problem
07-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #16116
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
For those unaware/interested, this aircraft has a very special significance for me (hence my online handle which I've been using for about 20 years now).
Enjoyed the story, thanks for the link
07-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #16117
Pentaxian

Gee the old girls looking great zkarj
Great tale !

07-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #16118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great story, thanks for sharing. Based on your handle, I’d be gbnel - I never owned it, just learned to fly in it.
07-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #16119
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Crikey! A bloke takes a bit of a break and you lot all start discussing nuclear physics. Err, pixel shift and dof, at least.

I've tried a few PS images with the KP and although I have no comparison shots, I feel they do exhibit a crispness beyond what I would normally expect. I guess the results will depend heavily on lens choice and configuration, too.

I've just got back from a bit of a road trip (1530km or so in 6 days) and while the KP did get a few outings, an iPhone was appropriate for this particular meeting. Due to circumstances and weather, it wasn't going to be a "photo shoot" kind of visit. Nevertheless, evidence was recorded by my wife. For those unaware/interested, this aircraft has a very special significance for me (hence my online handle which I've been using for about 20 years now).
Cool story Allister! Clearly, ARJ has very special significance for you.

As an aside: What was the plane's original colour?
07-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #16120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Cool story Allister! Clearly, ARJ has very special significance for you.

It's grey in that early photo!

Yeah great story, it's been around.
07-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #16121
Pentaxian

Couple of cool websites for sunset/sunrise planning. Many will have seen but worth sharing just in case.
I like to scope out a few ideas ahead of time if I'm travelling for work and won't have a lot of spare time.

Sunrise & Sunset Calculator for Photography

The Photographer's Ephemeris - Web App
07-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #16122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That kinda depends on the definition of "original." In the time Dad and his mates owned it, it was in the cream and international orange you can see in the photo on my page (and infer in the black and white shot). But originally, it was G-ADLU belonging to the London Aeroplane Club and I'm not sure what their scheme was (I suspect silver), then NZ735 with the RNZAF (when it would have been mostly yellow). I've seen a pic of when it first became ZK-ARJ and it was essentially just the RNZAF scheme with the civil registration added. I'm not sure which owner painted it into the cream and orange, but I am pretty sure it was Cliff Bellingham who gave it essentially the scheme it has today after the rebuild from 1979. While speaking to the current owner, Russ, he mentioned he had "expunged" the green bits which were not to his taste — the mainplane struts at least were a bright green.

Here's a small pic of a "repaint" my brother did in Microsoft Flight Simulator in the cream and orange. Can't find the full sized one at this stage.
Attached Images

Last edited by zkarj; 07-25-2019 at 01:23 AM.
07-25-2019, 01:36 AM   #16123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Flight Simulator fanatic!
07-25-2019, 02:07 AM   #16124
Pentaxian

Anyone aware of any site you can through in a distance to a subject, what sized sensor you have and what field of view/how wide you need it to be to capture your subject, and it will suggest a lens focal length to suit?

Might help with picking a lens in advance of travelling...
07-25-2019, 04:05 AM   #16125
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Anyone aware of any site you can through in a distance to a subject, what sized sensor you have and what field of view/how wide you need it to be to capture your subject, and it will suggest a lens focal length to suit?

Might help with picking a lens in advance of travelling...
Even simpler than I thought - scribbled out a lens diagram on paper -- d = subject distance from centre of lens w = required width of subject s = width of sensor
Then focal length required = d x s / w
d and w need to be the same unit (metres) and fl and s need to be same units (mm)
So a subject 3 metres wide 4 metres away - use 32mm on apsc and 48mm on FF
Someone check my geometry.

Last edited by GUB; 07-25-2019 at 04:22 AM.
« GR x GIN Social | - »